Power Steering Noise???

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Noise???

Thanks

Power Steering Noise???

I've been having some problems with steering noises. It sounds like a grind when I steer extreme left or right. I've checked the power steering fluid and it is full, but I have read several posts on other sites where people have had to replace the hose for the power steering fluid saying that it gets air trapped in it. Any suggestions? How would I go about bleeding it? Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

All power steering pumps make noise when the wheel is turned hard left or hard right. Some are louder than others, but they all do it.
    When the rack hits the stop the hydraulic servo goes wide open, and the pump goes full on trying to push the rack past the end stop. This makes it fuss. Also the extra load on the pump will sometimes make the belt slip.
    If you turn the wheel back off full lock just a little the pump noise should stop.
    Bill - Green Cove Spgs. FL (south of Jax)
    Formerly in a fast RX-7 turbo.
    Now in a 2002 Chrysler Voyager.

Thanks

Take a hand baster and pump out as much fluid as you can from the fill cap to the power steering fluid. Then replace the fluid with some +4 transmission fluid. It cured the exact problem we had last week with our 04 mini-van. I was surprised that this simple procedure got rid of the noise which sounded like a broken pump.

Richard.
    2004 Town & Country Limited, Michlin HydroEdge, added OEM Rear Sway Bar, German OEM Headlights with Hella H7+30 and H9 bulbs, Centric Rotors, Akabono Ceramic Pads, front and rear, rear hitch.

2001 PT Cruiser Limited automatic, Goodyear TripleTread rear, Goodyear Eagle ResponseEdge front, performance sway bar bushings and front links, 9011 and 9012 bulbs, front tower bar, Centric Rotors, Akabono Ceramic Pads, front only, Champion dual plat plugs, Mopar performance plug wires.

Thanks

Turkey baster and atf +4 worked for me as well.

Thanks

It worked ok for me. I am going to repeat the procedure at the next oil change, however, because I have noticed some noise since I did that. Using the turkey baster method only replaces the fluid that's in the reservoir, so you have to do it a number of times to appreciably clean the fluid.
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 99K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 65K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 65K mi

Thanks

I have done the ATF 4 thing at least 3 different times. It works for a while but it seems the noisy pump comes back after a period of time. It's weird. We can drive our van 5 times with no noise at all and then we're out for the next drive and it's moaning like crazy. Almost like it has a mind of it's own when it wants to make noise and when it doesn't. Then on the next drive it's quiet again with no action on my part.

Thanks

Smile Power Steering fixes...

Hi Everyone,
    I haven't posted here in a while, although I read the forum a lot... We have the same minivan as Jason from North Carolina does... 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with the 3.3c.i. Flex-Fuel V6. Although, we live in Plymouth, Massachusetts.

We bought the van in July 2004 and had the power steering hoses replaced as part of the initial recall in fall of 2004. We had no problems with power steering at all until these hoses were replaced. Apparently, the rubber the old hoses were made of was defective, especially in colder climates. So, as the months progressed, and eventually got colder outside at night, we started the van in the morning and drove down the street with the engine still cold. About mid-warmup the power steering would growl terribly when we came to a stop sign or red light. Not even turning the wheel, just idling in drive.

Long story short, we had to have this serviced several times for this issue until they fixed it correctly. Apparently, they need to replace the power steering reservoir since it has a built-in screen to trap all the junk... The problem lies within the reservoir because as it grabs junk in that screen, it also cavitates the power steering pump of some fluid. After a while of this happening, it starts to damage other components in the system.

We actually had to have our steering rack replaced because this issue wasn't corrected until it was already damaged. Please do yourself a favor and have this issue addressed by a reputable dealer or mechanic who has a knowledge of these Dodge vehicles.

Take Care & God Bless,
    Matthew Matinzi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mm1965ra View Post
    Apparently, they need to replace the power steering reservoir since it has a built-in screen to trap all the junk... The problem lies within the reservoir because as it grabs junk in that screen, it also cavitates the power steering pump of some fluid. After a while of this happening, it starts to damage other components in the system.
    Hey Matthew, thanks for the info.

But you will have to re-word this for my simple mind. Are you saying that the screen gets plugged up and that restricts the flow of fluid? Where is the secreen? If I can get to it, couldn't I just vac it out? I am not familiar with the term "cavitates." Please translate.
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 99K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 65K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 65K mi

Thanks

Cavitation loosely means pumping air. In other words, the PS pump is not getting enough fluid and begins to pump some air. Sounds suspiciously like another possible reason our PS pump failed, instead of the crushed cooler line story.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks

Thank you so much for all of the replies! I will certainly give that idea a try and let you know if it helps! Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread