Removing Blower Motor -2003 Town & Country

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Removing Blower Motor -2003 Town & Country

Thanks

Removing Blower Motor -2003 Town & Country

Hi. I am new to this forum. I own a 2003 Chrylser Town and Country and the blower motor went out last week. I was driving down the road and it just stopped completely. It will not work at all on any speed. The blower in the back seems to work just fine. I am trying to replace the blower motor and am having a heck of a time with the bolt that is in the back, up against the floorboard. It is very hard to reach and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what I could use to remove it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wndrwmn67 View Post
    Hi. I am new to this forum. I own a 2003 Chrylser Town and Country and the blower motor went out last week. I was driving down the road and it just stopped completely. It will not work at all on any speed. The blower in the back seems to work just fine. I am trying to replace the blower motor and am having a heck of a time with the bolt that is in the back, up against the floorboard. It is very hard to reach and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what I could use to remove it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Are you sure it is the Blower? If you have not done it already, you could disconnect the blower plug and verify power is there when it should be on.
    Also, I think that one has a cabin filter that can cause a blower motor to work harder if the filter is plugged. Maybe blew a fuse.
    Last edited by Stretch77; 01-14-2007 at 12:17 AM. Reason: typo
    Stretch77 USAF Retired, Nuclear Plant Controls Tech.

Formerly had a great 1996 Caravan, 3.3
    2005 Impala 3.8

Thanks

and maybe check if the PWR lamp is on in the HVAC controls b/c that turns off the blower too.

Thanks

Same problem on my 03 T&C but it is the back blower that does not work. Local garage said it is the rear blower module (I think that was it, he said it so fast my head was spinning) and it would cost $220 from Chrysler Canada + labour costs to install it. This sound familiar to anyone here? I am a total newb to this stuff, not used to all the extras on this sucker compared to my old 87 Regal.

Thanks

Removing 2003 Blower Motor Screw or bolt for Housing

Did you ever figure out how to get to that screw or bolt out? I have the same problem and I'm having a heck of a time trying to get to it, or even see it. I've tried pulling the carpeting back, and now there is padding underneath that I'm beginning to tear up just trying to reach where I think the screw/bolt might even be. I think I can feel it, but no clue how to get to it. I can't figure it out?
    Last edited by Beta; 03-17-2008 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks

2003 Town and Country Hard- to -Get -To -Screw/bolt

Quote Originally Posted by wndrwmn67 View Post
    Did you ever figure out how to get to this bolt/screw? I'm having the same problem.

Thanks

Removing Blower Motor 2003 Town and Country Hard to get to Screw or Bolt

Well, after several hours I have finally gotten the blower motor out. As far as the hard to get to screw in the back it is indeed a major fuss. I ended up having to pull the carpet back along with the padding just to reach the bolt. I had to dig and grind and work several angles before I was able to get a socket on the puppy. It took me forever. I was finally able to reach it with a small socket, and I actually used a small extension on a small ratchet to get at it. I used an 8 socket, or a 5/32 I believe. I don't see any other way to get at this thing without tearing up some of your padding. Once I got that removed I then had to try and get the 3 screws out that hold up the blower motor inside the housing. That wasn't fun either. The lower housing is always in the way. The lower housing does flex quite a bit. You just have to keep working it and flexing it and finding the best angle to get at the three screws. You will need some decent lighting. I used extensions for a couple of screws. One screw remained, after taking out two screws. In retrospect I think I should have just loosened all three of them, because when I took two screws fully out it put some torque on the third screw and I couldn't get it out. I finally was able to put a small wrench on it. There is also this recirculation door inside the housing that moves around quite a bit. You can move it around to get to the screws. I've never done this before, so it was my quest to get it out. I'm not any professional mechanic either. Just want to save some money. Here are some other notes that may help you.

1. Don't use too hot of light under the dash. I used a very hot light and it started to melt my molding on the center console. I caught it just in time, and no major damage.

2. This lower housing cage thing was constanly in my way. From what I read in other forums it seemed like you left this part in and slipped the blower out through the flexing of the lower housing. But once I got the lower housing loose and the blower screws out I was able to slip the lower housing completely off. All I had to do was lift up the blower, out of the nozzle type thing it was seated in. Instead I struggled with the lower housing being in my way the whole time. I don't see why you can just loosen the lower housing, then the blower, lift up on the blower and slip off the cage. Maybe that is how it was supposed to work I don't know. You do have to slip the wire harness through the hole before doing this. Hope that makes sense.

3. As far as pinching that wire harness goes that was quite simple. I just squeezed it with a pair of flat ended needle nose.

4. I have no idea if I want to reinstall this thing. I probably will give it a shot, but with where all the screws were located I have no idea how well it will go back. Especially, that one screw in the back.

5. I will have to try and put my padding back as well as possible.

6. I had a quote for an hour of labor to install a resistor and blower motor. Perhaps I should have done that. It took me hours to get it out. But hey, it was my first time and success was mine. Just don't look forward to the hours it may take to put it back in. It may be well worth it for you to have it installed-especially if a shop is only quoting an hour at $55 for doing so.

Well, like I say, I'm no pro and I couldn't find anywhere on the net that discussed this in any length. There were plenty of people with questions on the blower motor and everybody wanted to tell them, "Are you sure it is your blower?" It may just be your resistor, and then no detail on the blower motor. My T&C has already blown two resistors, and my blower was making a loud roaring noise. The mechanic said I would have to replace the blower or I would keep blowing the resistor. Hope this all works out for me-and you!

Good luck, and hope this helps.
    Last edited by Beta; 03-18-2008 at 05:04 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Beta For This Useful Post:

lexmom52 (11-30-2011)

Thanks

Removing Blower Motor 2003 Town and Country Hard to get to Screw or Bolt

Well, I am posting again. I did get the blower motor installed and also installed a new resistor and everything is up and running. I'm a happy camper so far. I've never done this before, but I'm pleased with the results.

Here is some more pointers.

The reinstall went a lot faster than taking the bloody thing out. It took me about 45 minutes to reinstall the blower and replace the resistor. Perhaps, as a first timer on this job, the next time would go quicker.

1. I did replace the resistor as well as the blower motor. I got a new resistor part (Mopar) from the Chrysler dealer. It cost around $30. It was a Mopar part. I'm glad I did because the dealer told me that the part had been redesigned. The new part had a rubber type sealant around some of the circuitry, and the plug in area was black, and looked just better made. The old part had a lot of spring like looking features that were exposed, and the plug in area was white. Here is the part number that I got for the resistor. 68029175AA

2. When you uninstall the lower housing, take the blower out, and take that one part off the lower housing which mine had a blue wire attached (I think it is called the recirculation actuator) you should end up with nine screws. 2 for the actuator, 4 for the lower housing, and 3 for the blower motor.

3. I purchased a used blower motor, (risky) on ebay motors. So for the blower and resistor I ended up spending around $70

4. My blower motor was making a "roaring" noise so it had to be replaced.

5. When I purchased my resistor from the dealer he printed out a service tip for me for the resistor it said this, "IMPORTANT: Once the new resistor is in place, turn the blower switch to high before supplying power to the circuit. Run the blower motor on high for at least two minutes before checking the lower speeds."

6. The service tip also gave some advice on checking for 12 volts at the resistor power supply which I did. I had to connect the wires in a few different spots before I found 12 volts but it was there.

7. My 2003 Town and Country did not have Automatic Temperature Control. The resistor for yours might be different if you have that feature.

8. I never did disable the negative power cable to the battery to disable the air bags. I probably should have looked into that better.

9. The back screw on the lower housing went in fine, but still difficult to get at. You really have to work to get at it. I used a socket, with about a 5" extension and nut driver wrench to get at it and some of the other screws.

10. I should have probably cleaned out my used blower motor, but I didn't. I forgot. Not going to worry about it now.

11. I did find some information on justanswer.com about replacing a blower on a 2002 Chrysler Town and Country. That did help.

Well, that is all I can think of for now. Hope it holds up for me.

Thanks

My blower motor appeared dead. I was working on it last weekend, and was unable to remove the last screw to take a look at the motor, but I bough a new motor TYC700070 anyway. Today I was able to remove the last screw very easily with a borrowed flexible screw driver (without cutting the pad or touching the HVAC module). However I found my old motor is still working fine after the fluffy insulation dust was removed from inside the motor. I am now ready to sell the new motor for $40 if anyone is interested (PM me). Thanks.

Thanks

Finally got it out

after spending way too long upside down i got the front blower fan out. i thought that i might check if the fan was working or not by connecting the fan directly to the battery and it turned, fast.

So i reconnected the plug from the fan to the resistor and tried it again, but no spinning. then i tried swapping the front and rear blower relay just to check this again. still nothing on any speed setting

not being too sure about fans, i was wondering if this is misleading by connecting the fan directly to the battery. or does it still suggest the fan is not working.

so i'm stumped but prepared to accept that i should buy either a fan or both fan and resistor.

any thoughts whilst i watch lost???

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply