Front Door Speakers

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front Door Speakers

Thanks

Question Front Door Speakers

Hi,

I'm a new poster here. We are now on our 3rd minivan. I got my wife's 96 hand-me-down and she drives the 02.

Anyhow, I want to upgrade the stereo. The stock set up has speakers on top of the front dash but none in the front doors. How involved is it to add speakers to the doors? Is the wiring already in there? What size are the speakers.

I'll also probably upgrade the headunit. Any unusual stuff to look out for there?

I've got engine problems too but I'll save that for another post.

Thanks,

Vincent

1996 Grand Caravan SE

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum.

I am not an audiophile so I will leave that part to the ones on here who are.
    Just want to welcome you to the forum.
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD 3.5L

Thanks

The grilles in the front doors are for the optional Infinity Sound System. If you are talking about the 96, I would put Infinity speakers in the grilles and replace the headunit with an Infinity unit. The Infinity unit added an equalizer and cassette and CD players. Personally, I would go for the Infinity unit, you could easily find it at a scrapyard and it would look much better asthetically than a Sony unit stuck in the dash.
    Now:
    1999 Pontiac Montana Extended 58,000
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado 70,000
    2001 Chevrolet Malibu 23,000

Previously:
    1998 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
    1993 Dodge Caravan
    1995 Nissan XE extended cab pickup
    1988 Lincoln Towncar
    1985 Dodge Ram
    1984 Toyota Tercel Wagon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Van Go View Post
    Hi,

I'm a new poster here. We are now on our 3rd minivan. I got my wife's 96 hand-me-down and she drives the 02.

Anyhow, I want to upgrade the stereo. The stock set up has speakers on top of the front dash but none in the front doors. How involved is it to add speakers to the doors? Is the wiring already in there? What size are the speakers.
    Thanks,

Vincent

1996 Grand Caravan SE

I haven't opened the doors on my 98, but was told by a Chrysler tech. that the speaker wires are installed at the factory regardless of the radio that is ordered when new.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Updates:
    I took the door panel off and did not see any wiring in there for speakers. There also is no bracket for mounting speakers. btw, I broke one of the plastic clips. Where is a good place to order replacements?

I ordered an upgraded pair of speakers for the front dash. I'm dropping the idea of door speakers.

Aside: I also ordered a replacement head unit for my wife's 02 T&C because her CD was broken. When I took her old one out I found the problem: $0.28. Some kid had stuffed coins in the CD slot. I took them out and now it works fine. I am planning on installing the 02 head unit in my 96. It doesn't fit perfectly and I'll have to make a harness adapter but it's a nice unit and paid for. I will then put the stock unit back in when I sell the van.

I don't want to put much $ in this vehicle. It needs major engine work (oil leak, water pump, and timing belt). I think I'll be getting rid of the car rather than putting that much money into a rusty 96. Right now this is my winter driver car. My wife's 02 is our family car that we go places in.

Happy New Year all,

Vincent

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    I haven't opened the doors on my 98, but was told by a Chrysler tech. that the speaker wires are installed at the factory regardless of the radio that is ordered when new.
    Happy new year everyone!

I'd be curious about this as well. Just got a '98 GV with CD/Cassette/EQ, but only the basic speakers. Kinda scratched my head when I discovered the speaker grilles in the front doors had no speakers behind them Also noticed two small (1.5" or so) grilles on the far back pillars by the liftgate -- do they normally install tweeters in those for the higher end stereo?

I might take the door panels off to see about the front ones, but am not so sure now that Vincent found neither wiring nor brackets in there.

- G

Thanks

Thanks for the info about no wiring on the doors and no mounting brackets, I just saved some broken clips!.

Also what size exactly are the front dash speakers? (also don't want to break anything)...

Thanks

Not something I plan to do, but here's what I found. The door speakers and rear tweeters were used with Infinity audio. With that option, the big speakers, not sure if some or all, have built-in amplifiers that receive power through a relay controlled by the head unit auxiliary 12V output. There's also a noise filter, called "choke" in the manual, in the amplifier circuit. The wiring for all components should be in place. The pin-out on Infinity head units is the same as on regular ones.

Thanks

I just replaced the front dash speakers with a pair of Blaupunkt PCxb542's from Crutchfield. Simple installation. They included wiring adapters so it was plug and play. It only took about 20 minutes. Nice easy $30 upgrade.
    1996 Grand Caravan SE 3.0l
    2002 Town and Country eX 3.8l

+ Reply to Thread