The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Water Pump leak

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Hokiefyd 
#1 ·
Oh fun. Noticed Pink pool on the garage floor. took it in and water pump needs to be replaced. None in stock so have to wait until next week to replace. trouble is we need to travel this weekend (130 miles round trip) and am kinda worried about it. What kind of antifreeze do i get? I have never seen Pink before..

#2 ·
Get Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) Antifreeze. Safest bet is buy MOPAR brand, Zerex also has HOAT Antifreeze: http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=10 ...and I am sure there are other brands out there as well.

Do NOT buy Dexcool Antifreeze, such as this one from Pennzoil: http://www.pennzoil.com/products/ancillary/dexcool.html
Do a search. I know there are threads here that discuss the damage you can do to a Chrysler engine that is designed to use HOAT, when you put Dexcool in it. In fact, I may have been a victim. To clarify, the Dexcool stuff is fine for vehicles for which it was designed. But these vehicles were not designed for it. Again, I recommend you do a search on this site and you'll find some interesting threads with some decent information.

Before I knew about HOAT, I had purchased some Dexcool stuff (I think it was Prestone) to "top off" my coolant. Shortly after that, I had my water pump replaced, as it was leaking. It may have been a coincidence, but after learning more, I realized I should not have done that, and I brought the rest of the Dexcool to the dump for recycling.

#3 ·
Ditto the genuine Chrysler HOAT coolant. Dex-Cool is a great product, for vehicles for which it's designed. It's a true OAT, or Organic Acid Technology, coolant. Completely silicate free. Chrysler's is a HOAT, or Hybrid OAT, coolant. It is a reduced silicate formula compared to traditional coolants, but there's still some in there.

I understand different metallurgies react to different fluids differently. Thus the requirement (or STRONG suggestion) to use what's specified. In this case, Chrysler HOAT. Valvoline's Zerex G-05 is truly compatible, but I heard rumors that it's not sold anymore. I would NOT use the Prestone yellow stuff, supposedly good for everything. Who knows what compromise is built into that formulation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.