The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1993 Town and country 3.3 issue

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  wezeles 
#1 · (Edited)
hey seems like im having the same problem as the other guy here... i just bought a 93 T&C very clean 120,000 miles only issue when i bought it was it needed a half shaft and new exhaust..
but as i drove it it started giving me issues stalling but only... only when it was warm and after i shut it off... i can drive it all day without an issue... but if its up to operating temp im guessing the 180-200 degree area.. and shut it off it studders really bad at start up... you have to hold the pedal all the way down to start it... and then rev it a bit around 2,000 rpm with some spitting and sputtering before it will even go into drive or reverse... it will hang in the normall 750-1000 rpm at idle at this time seeming pretty smooth little sputters but once you toss it in gear it dies... eaither have to let it cool down or let it run for about 5 minutes before its driveable again...

just so you know as of now it has a brand new cat, new tune up plugs wire and a new coil pack... a new idle air controll valve.. and a new o2 sensor.
so unless this temp sensor is bad which i would assume it would toss hott and cold signals out to the dash? not sure but it seems to send signal fine.. did look like a 3 wire sensor though..

if not im kinda lost next thing i was gonna try was the vacume system evap and such being ive had this issue before in other vehicals...
the fuel system has been cleaned new filter injectors sprayed through. still not doing it every part seems to help a bit but not cure it any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
worst of all... im getting no check engine codes at all... so im pretty much replacing blind hopping to track this problem down.. its a great van fully loaded and clean, only paid 500 bucks for it so i dont mind dumping some cash into the thing... but if i go through and replace every sensor and switch its gonna end up costing more than its worth so any help would be appreciated

#4 ·
Have you done the "key dance" to see if there are any engine codes?

#5 · (Edited)
yep nothing... im about to grab an extra computer from my junkyard... but i dont see why that would be the issue... not sure what it could be now.. if it was part of the vacume/evap system it should kick in as im driving... im gonna try the throttle positioning sensor see if that could be it... maybe its getting too hot and shorting out... the map sensor seems fine i unplug it it stumbles... plug it back in takes back off.. no vacume leaks in the system... even did the smoke bomb test.. tossed a smoke bomb under the engine bay and let it fill the area to see if any air was moving in or out of a leak... nothing..

#7 ·
got it figured out... called the chysler dealership and talked to the tech there he had no clue said he could do a full diagnostic for 280 bucks... ya i skipped on that.. i just drove around for a couple hours and boom caught a check engine light... took it in right away to autozone so they could scan it... EGR valve was sticking open... i wouldnt have guessed that, but it did the trick no problems on warm start ups anymore...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.