The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Flickering Lights

19K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  RIP 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 1998 Dodge Caravan which the lights flicker on and off quite often. Sometimes they stay on, sometimes they go off. You can here it flicker through the relays, I change them around but it doesn't make any difference. It does it on and off, you don't know when it will do it or when it won't. I thought it was the headlight switch, I changed it and it made no difference. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this, is a common problem?

I have tried everything I know but everything fails.

#3 ·
Have you installed specialty higher wattage headlight bulbs??

I had a Cherokee that had a thermal switch built into the headlight switch. In my case the switch was defective which caused the lights to go on and off as the switched heated up and cooled offl. Very annoying....people thought I was flashing my lights at them. I would then shut the lights off and people would flash their lights at me :Wow1:

This does not appear to be your case as you've already changed the switch but it might give you a different direction to go with your diagnosis.

Good luck,
Jay in MA

collectoral said:
I have a 1998 Dodge Caravan which the lights flicker on and off quite often. Sometimes they stay on, sometimes they go off. You can here it flicker through the relays, I change them around but it doesn't make any difference. It does it on and off, you don't know when it will do it or when it won't. I thought it was the headlight switch, I changed it and it made no difference. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this, is a common problem?

I have tried everything I know but everything fails.

#4 · (Edited)
I just had the exact problem. I replaced the BCM (body control module). It's located under the left side of the dash board directly behind the fuse panel. If you pop off the fuse access cover and unscrew the plastic cover. You can see the 3 10mm bolts that hold both the fuse box and BCM in place. Get a flash light and look at the tag on the right side of the BCM. There is a S/N (Serial number) and P/N (Part number). Get the P/N. DON't try to seperate the fuse box from the BCM. It's a whole lot easier to take them out together.

In any event. Get the number and find one first before you go any further. I have some at work (through removing a few that were good). If you can't find one, try "car-part.com".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.