The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Rusty strut towers

7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  buckslayer 
#1 ·
Is there any rhyme, reason, or pattern to which vans tend to have the rusty strut towers? I have no problem with it but two of my neighbors do - one t&c and one GC.:eek:

#2 ·
I have seen no Rhyme or Reason or any sembelence of reason for the problem. My theory is improper preperation BEFORE the underbody E-coating and the base prime dipping/coating is applied. I know that if the body-in-white (bare metal body from the body shop) is not cleaned correctly and completely, the processes after that are invalid, that is, they do not stick and protect properly. I worked inspection in the body shop/paint shop in an assembly plant (the mini van plant 1992-1993) for MANY YEARS. I have been away from it (retired 1993) for 13 years (5 years before the vans now having the problems). So my thoughts are just that ,a theory.
I know that some in Michigan snow belt and some in the MidWest area have the problem. While I would expect it from Michigan, not expected elsewhere. In reality, it should NOT BE EXPECTED FROM ANY REGION.

#5 ·
One of the best features in my van are the motorized rear windows for when said gassing phenomenon occurs. :Wow1:

sellinghomes4u said:
It is almost always on the battery side only. LIke mine the other side is perfect. Every one I've seen is battery gassing. I know y wife hates my gassing :)

#6 ·
DSMLVR said:
I have had many people e-mail me for the TSB. They tell me they get it on both sides, with the battery side the worse.

My 99 T&C has it on the battery side. Nothing on the other.

#7 ·
Yup, my new/used 2000 T&C has it on the drivers side and WILL need the fix, the other side is perfect. My 98 GC is juuuust starting to show a little bit of cosmetic rust and the ex-wife has a 98 also but it was fine as of 2 years ago when we split. The whole thing seems so random it's crazy!!!

Skidad
98 AWD GC LE, 190,000 miles (driving every day but available for sale)
2000 AWD T&C Limited, 44,000 miles (sweeeeeeet)

#8 ·
I remember reading somewhere that the problem had to do with a manufacturing defect, namely a void left between two stampings that are welded to form the strut support, and that not all vehicles were affected. Still true that battery acid might make it worse. Perhaps an Optima-type battery would be a worthwile investment for those not yet encountering this problem?

#9 ·
I'll have to check my neighbor vans out to see if it's on both sides. If it starts from the surface a guy could stay after it, but if it comes from between the stampings you won't know until it's too late. I'll try to investigate that this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.