The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Fuel pump? Filter? other?

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  RIP 
#1 ·
I have a 97 T&C lxi 3.8L with 111,000 miles.
It just had a tune up about 3 months ago. It typically runs great. 3 days ago I started it and it barley was holding idle while chugging. Step on the gas and it would nearly die or would die. I left it alone for 2 hours and on the second start it fired up like nothing was wrong (though the service engine light came on). The code turned out to be a P0171 engine lean bank 1. I continued to drive it that day. That evening I started it up again to have the exact same thing happen (in a semi remote location). It sputtered and didnt start. A BMW technician who just happened to be standing close by when this happened said it sounded like it wasn't getting any gas. He then proceeded to take a rock (I didn't have a hammer) and beat the bottom of my gas tank while i tried repeatedly to start it:blink: . On about the 9-10 try, it fired up like nothing was wrong and I drove home. The BMW Tech said it being something about the contact points on the fuel pump and that I needed a new pump. The next morning I crawled under the van to see what appears to be a ground type clip wire hanging from close to the fuel filter. I clipped it back on to where it appears to have belonged, and I'm wondering what to do? Anybody think that may have been it? There's no lights on right now. Do I still need a fuel pump? Something else maybe?

#3 ·
So it started right up wit the banging on tank? That is usually a good sign it's time to put a new pump assy. in it. NOt sure what you meant by "ground clip" unless it was just a clip that hed the line in place. The lean condition could occur and yet have the engine "run" with the bad pump but usually they just don't start or just flat die.

#4 ·
The next morning I crawled under the van to see what appears to be a ground type clip wire hanging from close to the fuel filter. I clipped it back on to where it appears to have belonged,
The filters are long plastic hoses with the filter in between. There is no metal in the lines so the ground clip is there to GROUND the lines. This has nothing to do with Electrical System, only to ground to help prevent fire.

#5 ·
It started up about the 9-10 turn of the key while he continually banged on the tank. Don't forget, it started for me after it sat 2 hours and I tried it again on the 2-3 turn of the key.
So you all think it was coincidental that ground wire was hanging? OK.
So it does sound like the fuel pump?

#6 ·
A vacuum leak will also give those symptoms.
When it's cold the computer feeds enough extra fuel to compensate for a vacuum leak.
After it warms up the leak will run the nearby cylinders lean.

#9 ·
Change fuel filter!

I don't know if it's causing your current problem but we learned the hard way that if you let your fuel filter "clog" it will burn out your fuel pump! $500 later we were back on the road. In fact your thread has reminded me to go to NAPA and get one for the T&C.:thumb:

#11 ·
Did the fuel pump solve this? My van is throwing a P0171 and I am a couple of weeks from embarking on a 2 week family vacation with the van.

This may be a time for the dealership.

#12 ·
How tough is it to replace the fuel filter? If it's anything like the Chevy Suburban that had a fuel filter go on me- it's quite the process.

#13 ·
It sounds like a pump but, changing parts without verifying can deplete your wallet in a flash. When you have duplicated the no start, connect a fuel pressure gauge and look for 49 psi. If it's not there change the pump. No guage? Find the fuel test port on the fuel rail. Crank the engine and depress the plunger to open the port. If you don't see fuel or it dribbles out, change the pump. DO THIS ON A COLD ENGINE UNLESS YOU WANT TO LIGHT UP YOUR LIFE. Wrap a rag around the port. Fuel will spray out if the pump is good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.