The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Nivomat Shocks

24K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  sbrook 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a '99 GC ES (It has become a pain since it's now that age where lots of things start dying)

Of late the rear end has been bouncing around quite frighteningly so I pulled the rear shocks and there was no dampening whatsoever (After a huge fight with the passenger side lower mounting bolt!)

I had been to our local famous parts place and bought a pair of Monroe Sensatrac shocks, opened the boxes and realized "WAIT A MINUTE! ... no way these can be the right ones" These were skinny like normal shocks and the ones I took off were huge in diameter by comparison. I checked, double checked and triple checked and they were supposed to be correct.

So, went to put the new ones on, and found of course that the old shock bolts were miles (or is that km) too long for the new shocks. So, off to the dealer and buy some shock bolts for a '95 Caravan (since they are 10.9 hardness, nowhere else stocked the M12 bolts needed)

OK, we're in business. The ride is much better now ... but ...

(There's always a but, isn't there!)

Loaded up the van with 3 kids in the back and about 120 lbs of tools "just in case" and back out of a driveway to this "crunch" as the tailpipe hits the ground! Ooops ... low ride height.

So, I do lots of research and discover that I have Nivomat shocks that they supposedly didn't use back then. BUT I find lots of conflicting info ...

"It shouldn't affect ride height"
"It will affect ride height"

"You need multileaf springs"
"You need a different monoleaf spring"

"Your NIVOMAT shocks were guaranteed for life"
"New NIVOMAT shocks are over $250 EACH :eekkkk: for your caravan"

:cry:

So, I don't know what to do ... I've already spent about $45 each on the Sensatracs and $30 on new bolts ... and lots of pain getting that frozen bolt out!

I am reluctant to spend $500 on a pair of NIVOMATs especially if they are warranted for life. I could add a set of towing "helper" springs for under $100.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

:help_wsig

See less See more
#5 ·
Nivomat is not a brand, but rather a type of shock absorber that works to "self level" the vehicle depending on load etc. When a vehicle has nivomat shocks installed, it is normally with a significantly softer spring.

If your van took normal shocks, then it wasn't fitted with Nivomats originally. Some aren't / weren't.

#7 ·
You can tell the Nivomat Shocks because they look like two big Tin Cans (the OLD large JUICE CANS that we used to have to use a beer can opener on) instead of smaller/narrower shocks.

#8 ·
You could have the dealer run your vin and production codes. This will tell you if you have/had the optional components. Basically if you KNOW you have a tow group they should be there, or if you have a sway bar in the back they were most likely there. If someone changed them out to Delcos I would have them put on as the suspension was designed for them if not than don't put them on as it wasn't designed to use them.

#9 ·
Actually, Nivomat is a brand, manufactured by Sachs. The springs are specific to the application. As sbrook said, the springs with the Nivomat shocks are actually a bit softer, because the Nivomat shocks are designed to add supplemental spring rate. The springs without the Nivomat shocks are a bit firmer, as there is no supplemental assistance from the normal shocks when loaded.

If you install Nivomats where they're not supposed to go, you may see a ride height increase. If you install conventional shocks were Nivomats are supposed to go, you may see a ride height decrease, especially when loaded.

#11 ·
And you can score original Sachs Nivomats from this link Nivomat Shocks for under $500 U S. Scroll all the way to the bottom. I just ordered a set and will post again after I get them installed and have a chance to put a few miles on them. Anybody who needs them better jump on them because everywhere else I have searched they were $450 PLUS. You'll note that Monroe sells a compatible shock that uses the same technology, but they wanted $386 for those and I researched them and they don't seem to have the same lifetime warranty against defects or failure as all there other shocks and figured for the money I will save it's worth a try to get the ones that are OEM. I wish I had known when I bought this damn van that it was going to cost me so much to fix it, I wouldn't have bought it. :eek:

#13 ·
And you can score original Sachs Nivomats from this link Nivomat Shocks for under $500 U S.
Actually, I've found them from LOTS of places for under $300. One of the problems I've had with the deep discounting places was they might sell the shock for $220, but then try to charge you $150 for shipping it (to Canada) if they'll ship it at ALL to Canada.

You'll note that Monroe sells a compatible shock that uses the same technology, but they wanted $386 for those and I researched them and they don't seem to have the same lifetime warranty against defects or failure as all there other shocks and figured for the money I will save it's worth a try to get the ones that are OEM.
I bought the Monroe at about $300 with shipping, and I seriously don't believe it is a "compatible". I think it's a Sachs shock without any branding on it at all (The OEM Chrysler shock had parts and branding only on a plastic lable sleave). The only number stamped on the shock was the same on the OEM. Every bit of the moulding was the same. I get the impression Monroe made a deal with Sachs to buy and sell them to get round out their offerings to include a Nivomat shock. Hence why Monroe's price is a bit higher than the cheapest Sachs.

I wish I had known when I bought this damn van that it was going to cost me so much to fix it, I wouldn't have bought it. :eek:[/QUOTE]

#15 ·
Just bought a pair of Sachs Brand Nivomats for around $220.00 apiece on some internet autoparts sight. I forget which one but they guaranteed the lowest prices. They shipped out of New Jersey. The Monroes version were about $375.00 apiece. Pretty easy to put in until I felt the van leaning toward me. I had done a lame job supporting it with 6X6 timbers. As I ran away, my greatest concern was stepping on my new tomato plants!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.