Nivomat Shocks

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nivomat Shocks

Thanks

Nivomat Shocks

I have a '99 GC ES (It has become a pain since it's now that age where lots of things start dying)

Of late the rear end has been bouncing around quite frighteningly so I pulled the rear shocks and there was no dampening whatsoever (After a huge fight with the passenger side lower mounting bolt!)

I had been to our local famous parts place and bought a pair of Monroe Sensatrac shocks, opened the boxes and realized "WAIT A MINUTE! ... no way these can be the right ones" These were skinny like normal shocks and the ones I took off were huge in diameter by comparison. I checked, double checked and triple checked and they were supposed to be correct.

So, went to put the new ones on, and found of course that the old shock bolts were miles (or is that km) too long for the new shocks. So, off to the dealer and buy some shock bolts for a '95 Caravan (since they are 10.9 hardness, nowhere else stocked the M12 bolts needed)

OK, we're in business. The ride is much better now ... but ...

(There's always a but, isn't there!)

Loaded up the van with 3 kids in the back and about 120 lbs of tools "just in case" and back out of a driveway to this "crunch" as the tailpipe hits the ground! Ooops ... low ride height.

So, I do lots of research and discover that I have Nivomat shocks that they supposedly didn't use back then. BUT I find lots of conflicting info ...

"It shouldn't affect ride height"
    "It will affect ride height"

"You need multileaf springs"
    "You need a different monoleaf spring"

"Your NIVOMAT shocks were guaranteed for life"
    "New NIVOMAT shocks are over $250 EACH for your caravan"

So, I don't know what to do ... I've already spent about $45 each on the Sensatracs and $30 on new bolts ... and lots of pain getting that frozen bolt out!

I am reluctant to spend $500 on a pair of NIVOMATs especially if they are warranted for life. I could add a set of towing "helper" springs for under $100.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by sbrook; 07-08-2006 at 01:36 PM. Reason: missing words

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

You NEED the Nivomats and YES they used them as far back as 96. Your suspension was designed to use them. Pay the piper it's worth it.

Thanks

Did I say $250 each ... seems they're more like $400 each! OUCH!

Thanks

What's wrong with Monroes? I put Sensatracks on my 97' LE and they seemed like a direct replacement.

Thanks

Nivomat is not a brand, but rather a type of shock absorber that works to "self level" the vehicle depending on load etc. When a vehicle has nivomat shocks installed, it is normally with a significantly softer spring.

If your van took normal shocks, then it wasn't fitted with Nivomats originally. Some aren't / weren't.

Thanks

Bought my 99 15th anniversary used. Is there any way to tell which shocks are supposed to be on the van? Mine has Delco shocks.

Thanks

You can tell the Nivomat Shocks because they look like two big Tin Cans (the OLD large JUICE CANS that we used to have to use a beer can opener on) instead of smaller/narrower shocks.
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD 3.5L

Thanks

You could have the dealer run your vin and production codes. This will tell you if you have/had the optional components. Basically if you KNOW you have a tow group they should be there, or if you have a sway bar in the back they were most likely there. If someone changed them out to Delcos I would have them put on as the suspension was designed for them if not than don't put them on as it wasn't designed to use them.

Thanks

Actually, Nivomat is a brand, manufactured by Sachs. The springs are specific to the application. As sbrook said, the springs with the Nivomat shocks are actually a bit softer, because the Nivomat shocks are designed to add supplemental spring rate. The springs without the Nivomat shocks are a bit firmer, as there is no supplemental assistance from the normal shocks when loaded.

If you install Nivomats where they're not supposed to go, you may see a ride height increase. If you install conventional shocks were Nivomats are supposed to go, you may see a ride height decrease, especially when loaded.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks

By not being a brand, I meant like "Caravan" is not a brand but a model by Chrysler (the brand) ... Nivomat's are a model of shocks made by Sachs. (just splitting hairs )

+ Reply to Thread