The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

blown head gasket

23K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  DSMLVR 
#1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has replaced the head gasket on a 94 3.3with 126,000 miles. I did some searches and did not come up with anything, so I thought I would ask. I am sure it is the head gasket though because the coolant is coming out of the exaust, and the back left spark plug is covered in coolant. I just replaced the intake manifold gasket hoping that would solve it but it didnt, so I was thinking about trying to do the head gasket myself, since the mechanic wants over 2 grand to do it (IF I can even get them to do it). Any input would be great, thanks! -Adam

#2 ·
Concorde300M said:
I am sure it is the head gasket though because the coolant is coming out of the exaust, and the back left spark plug is covered in coolant.
Ummm, are you sure? I'm thinking that while a bad head gasket might could well be your problem, another possibility is that you might have a cracked head.

#3 ·
oh.... that is NOT something I want to hear. is there an easy way to tell the difference without taking it apart? my old 85 voyager did the same thing as this one and it was the head gasket so I figured it was the same thing. I guess I would be out of luck if its the head :cry: Thanks for the fast response though...

#4 ·
Not saying that it is NOT a cracked head but the head gasket is the more probable problems. Yes, I would have guessed that it is the back head. :cry:
Did you do the repairs on your 85? It is not hard to do, just time consuming. Good luck and keep us posted.

#5 ·
No I did not do the repairs on the 85, as I was 10 when it was done ;-)... anyways, just got done with the head gasket the other day, and she runs like new! It took about 15 hours, and I only did the rear one (the front wasn't leaking at all). So instead of $2000+ I did the job for $150. Not to bad for my first major engine repair...

#6 ·
CONGRATUALTIONS on a job WELL DONE. :thumb:

You not only saved alot of money but you can proudly say "I DID IT" :)

Now you have that knowledge in your head and IF you ever need to do any other work on your vehicles, you KNOW you can do it. We are proud of you and that you are a member of the GREATEST AUTOMOTIVE FORUM on the net, The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.