The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Disable alarm? - van won't start T&C

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  99voyager 
#1 ·
Occasionally our 1997 T&C LXi won't start (starter turns but will not fire). After several hours of sitting, it starts. Have noticed that the alarm light was on on the dash. Is something in the alarm circuit making the car unable to start, say by a thief? Then it automatically resets later? The manual does not address this.

No fuse is labelled for the alarm, that I can see. Disable the alarm system since we don't use it anyway. Thought this might be a way of seeing if it solves the problem.

Other things I want to check are:
Grounds - is this a common problem with these vans?
Elec. connectors?
Fuel pump circuit

It does not stall while driving - but I will clean TB and IAC anyway. I know this was a problem w/ some years and models.

Thank you for ANY advice.

Pete

#2 ·
Hi there
My 99 Voyager (Right Hand Drive) has a similar problem. It starts and then stutters to an idle before cutting out. Alarm light comes on and stays on. Fuel pump is going crazy and the ASD relay is buzzing like you wouldn't believe. The Stealership here in New Zealand is keen to take $1500 NZD (around $1150 USD) off me to fix the problem.

Any help with diarming the alarm thingee on these things and the above?
Cheers
Marouna

#3 ·
#4 ·
Peter, I've had somthing similar with my 98 Voyager in the past.
When it wont start try removing the IOD memory fuse {10amp}, for 30 seconds or so, and refitting it. I,am told this clears faults from the body control module and it may then start, worth a try.
The fuse is located in the fuse and relay centre under the hood and is at the top end.
Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.