The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Very bad oil leak

43K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  PDshooter 
#1 ·
Hello all. I need some help with a very bad oil leak on my 96 Plymouth Voyager 3.0. It looked like the oil leak was coming from the front passenger side corner of my oil pan right next to the crankshaft pulley. Replaced the oil pan gasket thinking that was the problem. After the fourth attempt and fourth gasket, I have come to believe that the leak is not coming from the oil pan. I replaced the water pump on this vehicle just about 1.5 to 2 months ago. Had to remove the timing belt cover and timing belt to replace the water pump. I don't know if I could have done something while replacing the water pump to cause this bad oil leak. I'm thinking that the oil leak is coming from something above the oil pan and dripping down the side of the oil pan and onto the ground. Could anyone give me some ideas on what it might be? I could really use some help with this. Could it be coming from any of the seals? How could I determine where the leak is coming from? Thanks for any help that you can give me.

#3 ·
2nd what the previous poster said , on the front of the engine pull that rubber hose that goes to the plastic resonator box and see if you have any white sludge in there if so the pcv valve is shot and is causing increased crankcase pressures which can increase problems with oil leaks , would also check your air filter while at it to make sure that isn't oil soaked .

#4 ·
The most common places for oil to leak from the front of that engine are 1. Valve cover, 2. crankshaft seal 3. distributor seal , 4 camshaft seals and last but not least the head gasket. Head gasket and valve cover is easy to see if you look from underneath the car. Camshafts will leak inside the camcover and run down front of engine and drip out next to crankshaft in most cases. Distributor seal will be visible if you look down from front on passenger side of engine. All are easier to find than to fix.
JCM

#5 ·
JCM IS correct, however alot of the leaks are caused BECAUSE of a plugged PCV and/or PCV hose. The pluged valve/hose do not allow the engine/crankcase evacuation system to BREATHE, causing an excessive pressure to build up inside of the engine. Any/all weak spots in the gaskets will be revealed with oil leaks at this time. It is the pressure trying to get out. Change them and take the pressure out of the engine and you WILL see a difference. THEN clean off the engine and keep an eye on it to see where any bad leaks may show because of the previous situation.
PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE DOES PAY.

#7 ·
Professor said:
Is it hard to change the PVC? Where is it located on my 99 Voyager, 3.0?
There is a small hose coming out of the front valve cover on the engine (this is not the larger hose that leads to the airbox, that's something else entirely). Follow this hose to the point where it plugs into the block. Remove the hose, and you will see the PCV valve screwed into the engine.

#9 ·
You may have a leak at the back side of your valve cover gasket. You may have a leak at the gasket at your cam sensor on the backside of the engine in the head. You may have a camshaft oil seal leak in the head. Check the easy things first.

#10 ·
Wash the engine down and keep an eye on it for a few days. Sounds like it won't take long to find it at 2 quarts per week.

Just be careul to not get sensors, electronics etc overly wet in the process. I like to blow my engine off with a compressor after washdown.

Good luck,
Jay in MA

russwr said:
2 quart oil leak per week, on my '97 ,4 cyl Dodge Caravan. The engine is dry on 3 sides except back side and bottom. What's going on?

#11 ·
Wash the engine down and keep an eye on it for a few days. Sounds like it won't take long to find it at 2 quarts per week.

Just be careul to not get sensors, electronics etc overly wet in the process. I like to blow my engine off with a compressor after washdown.

Good luck,
Jay in MA

russwr said:
2 quart oil leak per week, on my '97 ,4 cyl Dodge Caravan. The engine is dry on 3 sides except back side and bottom. What's going on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.