Rear Brakes - 2011 Grand Caravan

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Brakes - 2011 Grand Caravan

Thanks

Rear Brakes - 2011 Grand Caravan

How many of you have submitted your expenses to Chrysler for reimbursement?

Our van is less than 2 years old, about 40,000km and the rear brakes are done.

Was hoping that we had gotten the "fixed" rear brakes, considering our June 2011 build date.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Sorry, can't help you, but am interested in the outcome.

I had both rear calipers/pads/rotors replaced on my '08 T&C LX 3.3L. It was a while back, maybe in 2010, and at low mileage. "Not covered by warranty" and over $700 as I recall. Now the van is sometimes whistling from the rear again, just like the last brake defect. It sounds like the hub bearing is gone, and maybe it is this time, but it is deceptive because it turned out to be the brakes. I left it alone for a while the first time, waiting for it to be repeatable so the dealer could hear it. Last summer I told the dealer the van is whistling from the rear again and they checked the rear brakes and said they were ok.

I wonder if the replacement rear brakes have the same defect as the originals

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kallsop For This Useful Post:

UN4GTBL (05-07-2013)

Thanks

I called Chrysler and was given a case number, and they will supposedly be calling me back within the next day or so.

Thanks

The extended warranty was on the front from what I remember. It can't hurt to try.
    Grant
    Mopars currently owned:
    2013 Chrysler Town and Country L
    1975 Dodge D-100 4x4 400

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gsmagnum View Post
    The extended warranty was on the front from what I remember. It can't hurt to try.
    The fronts have an "estimated" 50% left. It was around 3 years and 50,000km when we had to do front brakes on our last van, so I don't have a problem with them. They are a wear item unfortunately.

The issue here is that these vans seem to be rear-biased for braking, so the rear brakes do most of the braking. However, there is obviously something wrong as they are willing to replace the calipers under warranty on the rear...

Thanks

2011 rear brakes binded at 40,000 KM

Rear brakes started to grind goind down the back roads last year.
    Smoke were comming out of them. Discs turned blue.

Dealer replaced pads and rotors for free.
    I asked if it was a caliper problem and asked them to replace those too.
    They said no. The explanation I received was unclear.

Should these rear brakes be serviced every year ?

I can't wait for it to happen again.....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cdufour9 For This Useful Post:

UN4GTBL (05-08-2013)

Thanks

I got a call back today from a very nice rep.

The rep said that they discussed it with the service manager at my dealer, and we should get close to 10,000km out of the rear brakes still. Apparently the average life for rear brakes is less than 38,000km. But she said to keep them posted.

She did say that a lot of dealers in this area recommend the brake services every 1-1.5 years because of the salt and junk on the roads here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UN4GTBL View Post
    Apparently the average life for rear brakes is less than 38,000km.
    I don't think I have ever got less than 100K miles out of rear brakes, be they disk or drum, and that includes my '99 Grand Caravan. The only exception is my '08 T&C, but the caliper stuck, so who knows what the life of non defective rear brakes would have been. 38K km, if true, is a really underspecified design

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kallsop For This Useful Post:

UN4GTBL (05-08-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kallsop View Post
    I don't think I have ever got less than 100K miles out of rear brakes, be they disk or drum, and that includes my '99 Grand Caravan. The only exception is my '08 T&C, but the caliper stuck, so who knows what the life of non defective rear brakes would have been. 38K km, if true, is a really underspecified design
    Drum brakes should go for a really long time.

38k for brakes is ridiculous IMO, and WAY TOO SHORT

These vans do most of their braking with the rear brakes, so I understand that they will go before the fronts will, but the fronts are at an estimated 40-50% as well. The front brake usage is normal to me (but that is with a front biased braking setup)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UN4GTBL View Post
    I got a call back today from a very nice rep.

The rep said that they discussed it with the service manager at my dealer, and we should get close to 10,000km out of the rear brakes still. Apparently the average life for rear brakes is less than 38,000km. But she said to keep them posted.

She did say that a lot of dealers in this area recommend the brake services every 1-1.5 years because of the salt and junk on the roads here.
    salt and junk on the roads here. really? the dealer said that? I call that BS, I never heard anyone say that, remember I live in southern Ontario too. If that was true then everyone who owns a vehicle would have to replace brakes every 1-1/2 years. I still consider that short for a rear brake setup.
    Van=Most my $$$ since 2013
    2011 Toyota Sienna (3.5 266HP) 55,000 kms-Remote start installed 23/11/13

2004 Dodge Caravan Anniversary Edition (3.3 180HP) 208,750 kms-Bought in 2008 with 78,215 kms
    Repairs:Radiator X2, Water pump, Serpentine belt, Idler pulley, 160 AMP alt upgrade (due to seized ADP) Inlet tube, Pads, calipers, rotors X2, Starter, Drums+Shoes+Hardware kit+Wheel cylinders, Blower motor+resistor, Spark plugs X2, Tires X2
    Mods:Interior+Plate LED lighting, Painted front calipers, Red pinstriping, Decals/Emblems, Door sill plates
    Future Mods:Extra interior lighting, Painted Drums, Window Visors, 4300K HIDS+amber Fog Lights, Exhaust, Speakers

Past vehicles:
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire (2.2 two door) 199,535-Sold 12/1/14
    1998 Ford E350 204,500mi-SOLD
    1999 Toyota Tercel RIP @220,191 kms, Moms first car,bought in 2003
    RIP VIDEO:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGJwx1juu50

+ Reply to Thread