The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

strut mounts

11K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  telerooster 
#1 ·
Hi. I own a 98 grand voyager that I have just had to have the front strut mounts replaced on. Has anyone else had this problem? It just seems to me that this should not be a problem on a vehicle that is only 8 years old. My mechanic says that he sees this a lot on the chrysler mini vans and the guy that just fixed them said he has never seen them so bad. Now I have to admit that my husband is not very energetic when it comes to upkeep on his vehicles. I, on the other hand, have only had my license for 3 years, but am very persistant it comes to upkeep. The van has never had an underspray(but it will every winter from here on out lol). Could this have caused the problems with the struts. Am just curious. If this is such a problem with these vehicles, should there not be a recall on them? or am I misinformed? I do know that it just cost me $2200 to get them fixed lol. Not small change. Any feedback would be appreciated.

#2 ·
struts

Yeah this is a fairly common problem from this era . Some have the problem and I have a 96 that does not and we live in a area that they plaster the salt on the roads . Below is a tsb on the problem. To be honest that sounds pretty high top have that problem fixed but I have never had it priced out .

Make : DODGE Model : CARAVAN Year : 1998
Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION
Service Bulletin Num : 2304402 Date of Bulletin: OCT 14, 2002
NHTSA Item Number: 10000317
Component: STRUCTURE:BODY
Summary:
COSMETIC CORROSION OR PERFORATION AT UPPER STRUT TOWER/S USUALLY BETWEEN THE STRUT AND UPPER LOAD PATH BEAM INNER PANEL (INNER FENDER). *TT

#5 ·
Technical Service Bulletin
These go out from the company to all the service people when they identify a problem. It may or may not be part of a recall, just a way for service people to track problems they may not be aware of (yet)

#7 ·
Got my van back last night. Drives a lot better now and I am not as nervous lol. My mechanic call last night and has another van, identical to mine, with the same problem. It makes me angry that Chrysler knows or knows there is a possibility of this happening on their vans, yet they won't do anything about it. For someone not aware of this problem, it could become a very dangerous situation fast.
The only option we were given, was to find out if there was a class action suit against Chrysler concerning this particular problem, but I have no idea how to go about doing that lol.
Anyway, thanks for everyone's input. Drive safely!!!

#9 ·
It was $2100. Tie end rods(?) had to be replaced as well. After the mounts were replaced, they needed to do a front end alignment and realized the rods were shot, worse on the drivers side, so in total was $2200. I thought the price very good, as the dealerships quote was $3500 plus.

#11 ·
Even if it is a 'known' issue. The automakers are not going to voluntarily take a cash hit on ANYTHING unless they are forced to.

Case in point... my 2000 Saturn SL1 (and all SL1s from 2000-2002) is known for the intake manifold gasket blowing out due to a design flaw. I was told by a saturn tech that is it not a matter of IF your gasket will go but WHEN.

Just TRY to get Saturn to pay to have it fixed.

The fix? They redesigned the intake gaskets... BACK to the 1999 version!

I have a 98 caravan but I do not believe I have that corrosion problem.

Chas

#13 ·
DSMLVR said:
Chas, the TSB is for 1996-2000. I would double check yours if I was you. It is in the time frame.
I have looked at it recently and have seen no signs of corrosion around the shock mounts.

However, it was a while ago that looked. I shall look at it when I get home.

Assuming my memory allows me to remember it that far from now (2 hours).

:)

Chas

#14 ·
Well, whaddaya know.. there is a touch of rust on the shock tower behind the battery.

None whatsoever on the other side.

However, what is on the shock tower on the driver's side is almost nothing. I am going to sand it down and paint it with some anti-rust paint. It only appears to be surface rust on the top. No cracking or flaking otherwise.

Chas

#15 ·
In his defense

Two of my neighbors have that problem on their vans. I have a 97 Chrysler T&C and mine is fine - I live in Michigan so we have salt. I don't know that any of us sprayed down that area so I'm not sure that this would have been something that your husband could have or even would have thought to prevent. I wouldn't have thought of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.