The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

PCV Valve location on '03 3.8L

31K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Vtech 
#1 ·
Hey, need some help! I just got a replacement PCV valve in the mail (note: the PCV valve for the 2003 3.8L was not available at Autozone or Advance auto parts--had to order online for like $15--pricey but hard to find)... and I can't find where the heck it goes!

Can anyone tell me where this pesky thing goes? 37,000 miles and I should definitely replace it.

#2 ·
It's behind the throttle body. You can see a rubber tube coming out of the top of it. It looks like it's hard to change. You find it easier to get at if you remove the black wiper cowl.

BTW mine was just changed at almost 60,000 miles, and it made little difference. If it's not sticking, it can last and last. After you replace it, check the old one to see if it's still rattling--or if it's on a spring, to see if it's not sticking. if not, you should save it.

#3 ·
Ya, in general, PCV valves are not "wear" items like brakes or something like that. If it's sticking, it needs replacing, if it's not, it doesn't. The PCV valve in both of my vehicles is still the original one (one is 54k miles old and the other one over 150k miles old).

But as Michael said, it's mounted on the REAR valve cover as the engine sits in the bay. Pretty much unvisible to the naked eye at first blush, but it's there.

#4 ·
I have an '04 and I was stumped too. Mine is located in the neck of the rear plastic valve cover. You have to reach to the back left as you face the engine and pull the hose off of the valve cover and the PCV valve is down inside. It is in large rubber grommet and you have to pull it out. It was dealer only.

#5 · (Edited)
Hello Oldchina.

New to the form and didn't want to post such a simple question and look silly.

Have 2005- 3.3 engine and having a no luck in removing the PCV Valve.

Question: Does the valve pull up and out? Screws in? Half rotation than pull out?

The valve is loose, can rotate it in the grommet, but no way I can pull the valve out of the grommet without possible dammage.

I just want to do an inspection 50,000KM on the old girl, but the dealer
wants a small fortune for a replacement PCV valve it I blow it and damage mine.

Apology for being a pain, but I need expert advice. :help_wsig

Any suggestion appreciated. Vtech.

#6 ·
It twists out. Look it up on rockauto.com and you should be able to find a picture of it--that will give you an idea of how it comes out, then you should be able to get it out.

but I would order one from Rockauto first, because you might break it. I think it cost less than $10 from there.

#7 ·
I was stumped too. my 3.8 was stuck tightly and you need to be forceful to get it out. The grommet gets kind of hard with the heat. You can spin the valve and rock it side to side and pull like **** then it just pops out. You may need to grab it with some kind of pliers though because its slippery with oil. I can't remember exactly though as I haven't changed it since 1½ years ago.

#8 ·
Did they change them from 03 to 04? The PCV valve I purchased is threaded on the bottom. it does not just "pop" out. Once you remove the hose from the top of it, you have to unscrew it.

I have copied a picture of it from Rockauto, here:
http://gallery.chryslerminivan.net/main.php?g2_itemId=513

#9 ·
They must have changed it, that doesn't look like mine at all.

#10 ·
I went to the Rock Auto site and it is definitely the wrong one for mine. When I got mine our Canadian Tire stores up here didn't offer one either. I had to go to the dealer. It may be the same as 2005. Rock doesn't show one at all for 2005.

#11 ·
Pcv Valve

Pcv Valve. Dodge 2005. 3.3L

Thanks to everyone for their help/suggestions.

It looks so simple just sitting there. Think again.
It's like a dentist pulling a tooth. :nut:
You wiggle,pull, cuss, even say a small prayer.
Finally she pops up and out. Talk about getting
grey hairs and pulled muscles.
50,000km and the valve looked as good as new.
Just dropped her back in, (lol) Boy do you have to push.

Exhausted just thinking about it.
Guess it's time for a :beerchug:

Vtech.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.