Speedometer Not Working - Help

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Speedometer Not Working - Help

Thanks

Speedometer Not Working - Help

Hi everyone. I have a 2001 Chrysler T&C Limited. I bought it used, it has just over 120,600 miles on it; I've had it two months.

Yesterday, I noticed that the speedometer wasn't working. The hand (like the hand of a clock, for lack of a better term) wasn't moving at all. The RPM dial was working, as was all of the other instruments.

When I got home, I looked and the hand was seated past the little black post on the dial where the hand would usually sit when the van was turned off. I went in and called the local Chrysler dealer and described the problem. Was told that usually it isn't repairable and that I would have to replace the entire "instrument cluster". The technician was willing to try to reset it for $150 labor, but couldn't guarantee that would work. Otherwise, I was quoted $150 labor + $754 for the part = $904 before tax. That is a really steep bill for me right now, especially since I just bought the vehicle.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this, and what you ended up doing to fix it. I was hoping there might be a simple fix (but I know realistically there probably isn't one).

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Hold the trip button for 10 seconds with the van off, that should run to cluster reset and diagnostics (and give you a pretty light show :-)) if that works, maybe the output transmission speed sensor? Does the van shift ok? or is it stuck in "limp mode"?

Also a cheaper way would be to get a used cluster off ebay. it is super easy to sway out and the mileage is stored in the computer so you don't have to worry about that.
    Present:
    2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Express
    2010 Chrysler Town & Country Touring 4.0
    2004 300M

Past:
    2006 Dodge Caravan SXT (sold 6-11)
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (traded 4-10)
    1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager Conversion Van (R.I.P)

Thanks

The technician was willing to try to reset it for $150 labor (ripped off)
    I'ts too easy to do it, Hold the trip button for 10 seconds with engine turn off, I had this problem before, after I reset it speedometer is working properly .

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2002AWD For This Useful Post:

04anniversaryedition (04-13-2013), michaelsurfs (04-12-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Concorde300M View Post
    Hold the trip button for 10 seconds with the van off, that should run to cluster reset and diagnostics (and give you a pretty light show :-)) if that works, maybe the output transmission speed sensor? Does the van shift ok? or is it stuck in "limp mode"?

Also a cheaper way would be to get a used cluster off ebay. it is super easy to sway out and the mileage is stored in the computer so you don't have to worry about that.
    I will try that. This is my first Chrysler product ever (I've had Ford vans for the last 8 years) and I am totally new to all of this. I had the thought of going online to checking pricing or going to a local u-wrench it if need be. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2002AWD View Post
    The technician was willing to try to reset it for $150 labor (ripped off)
    I'ts too easy to do it, Hold the trip button for 10 seconds with engine turn off, I had this problem before, after I reset it speedometer is working properly .
    Thank you. Yeah, I thought it was a rip-off too. That's why I asked you all. SO glad I found this board. I'll update after I've had a chance to try it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 979 Posts

An output speed sensor failure (easy replacement on front exterior of transmission) will cause issues with speedometer, odometer, and cruise control, all at the same time. The transmission will also go into limp mode and not shift beyond second gear. What rpm are you getting at highway speeds. Should be around 2000 to 2200 rpm. Anything considerably higher would indicate a lower gear (second) is being used i.e. limp mode.

Otherwise try resetting as already mentioned. Disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10 minutes can sometimes get rid of problems (basically a computer reboot).

A weak battery can cause weird things to happen as well. Any idea of the age of the battery?
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 115,600 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 314,240 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 246,430 kms

Thanks

There is another fix to this that i discovered :P

When i was changing the cluster lights, i had this same problem.

Took out the cluster, flipped it slowly (gravity pull on the needle) and got the needle over that stopper knob
    2002 Grand Caravan 3.3L Sport @ 295,000 KM

Better than cutting it twice, and its still too damn short.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The_big_dill For This Useful Post:

michaelsurfs (04-12-2013)

Thanks

My gen 2 1992 gv awd 3.3 had no guages working til i replaced the bcm. About a year now after replacing the bcm the speedometer won't go past 35. I installed a spare guage cluster but it also would not go past 35 when obviously i was going about 55. So Your problem could be in the bcm. Mine is out of warranty so I'll probably just drive as is til i get tired of incorrect speedo.

Thanks

I have a 2000 Voyager that has had a similar problem. Mine does not happen all the time, but occasionally when I start it up, the speedometer does not work. And when it happens, nothing in the instrument cluster works. So far, restarting has fixed the issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
    An output speed sensor failure (easy replacement on front exterior of transmission) will cause issues with speedometer, odometer, and cruise control, all at the same time. The transmission will also go into limp mode and not shift beyond second gear. What rpm are you getting at highway speeds. Should be around 2000 to 2200 rpm. Anything considerably higher would indicate a lower gear (second) is being used i.e. limp mode.

Otherwise try resetting as already mentioned. Disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10 minutes can sometimes get rid of problems (basically a computer reboot).

A weak battery can cause weird things to happen as well. Any idea of the age of the battery?
    No, no idea on the battery. I will have to check the RPMs; I don't remember what it was running.

+ Reply to Thread