What do these codes mean P1684 and P0700

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do these codes mean P1684 and P0700

Thanks

Hi Group,

2001 Dodge Caravan with 40,000 miles, 3.3L V6 non-flex, 4 speed auto, I
    bought this vehicle new. The check engine light just came on Thursday
    7/30/03, we just got back from a vacation in Florida last Sunday. I used the
    ignition key to obtain the codes in the odometer read out. It flashed codes
    P1684 and P0700, anyone know what these mean? My Haynes manual does not list a code for P1684, for P0700 it says "An automatic transmission input DTC has
    been set in the transmission controller. Refer to Group 21." What ever that
    all means, It doesn't sound good, I'm hoping it is not going to be very
    expensive to fix as I don't have an extended warranty.

Thanks for your help,
    Ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I have an update after doing some searching out on the web.

I found these on the following web site
    http://www.ptcruizer.com/computer-codes.html

700 The automatic transmission computer or Aisin computer has a
    problem - ask it what's going on. I don't know.

The wife hit a deer a few months ago on the drivers side front fender at
    35,000 miles, there was not a lot of damage, and we had the van fixed at a
    GM dealership (they are suppose to be the best in town for body damage), and
    they did a good job and we did not have any problems up until now. In the
    Haynes manual it says the transmission control module is located behind the
    inner splash shield in the front left side wheel well. Could this code just
    now be showing up, because of the accident? Or because they had to
    disconnect the module to do the repairs? Or is it not related to the
    accident at all?

1684 The battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts.

We have had to start up more then 50 times since the battery would have been
    disconnected during the accident repair. So why would this code being
    showing up all of a sudden? This was the only time the battery would have
    been disconnected.

Thanks, Ken

Thanks

<<1684 The battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts.>>

IF for some reason the battery gets run down or low voltage for even just one start (maybe a long crank on a start up), can cause the same thing. If your battery is marginal or getting ready to go out, can do the same thing. It does NOT just mean battery disconnected.
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD 3.5L

Thanks

<<<IF for some reason the battery gets run down or low voltage for even just one start (maybe a long crank on a start up), can cause the same thing. If your battery is marginal or getting ready to go out, can do the same thing. It does NOT just mean battery disconnected.>>>>

Thanks for the input, I guess we will have to keep on eye on the battery, we have not had any problems with it so far and we have had no hard starts.

The P0700 code is the one I&#39;m most concerned with, I was hoping to hear something on this code. Is it OK to continue to drive the van or should it be parked until I can afford to pay the big bucks to bring in into the Dodge dealer? (we have been hit with layoffs, pay cuts, forloughs, etc at work so money is tight right now) We have not drove it since the check engine light came on Thursday. It drives OK, there does not apear to be a problem at all, but the check engine light has us very concerned. We don&#39;t want to cause any more damage to the tranny, if that is what the code means we are doing.

Thanks again,

Ken

Thanks

I have a 2001 van and we got it March 01. In May 03, the battery went out. I mean, it just quit. It was a bad cell. Bad/defective batterys can drive you crazy.

Concerning your other problem, IF the van was in an accident recently and damaged in the area you expect the trouble is coming from, call your insurance person. The estimator/repair shop may have missed this and/or a wire may have been damaged or loosened in the accident or during the repair. If any welding was done in the area, the module MAY have been damaged. Call your insurance and see if a followup repair is possible. If they say NO, call the repair shop (without tell them the insurance said NO ) and ask them if a follow up check/repair is possible because of your problem and thier past repairs. You might have to fudge abit and tell them it has been acting up alot earlier but not as bad and you didn&#39;t think about the wreck causing it.
    GOOD LUCK
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD 3.5L

Thanks

Ok Group,

I have an update on these codes. And I am not a happy Dodge Caravan owner right now.

1684 - means the battery was disconnected, but I already knew that. No Problem here.

0700 - This is the problem code. We took the van back to the GM dealer that did the accident repair. They verified and got the same codes that I did. They seemed to think it may have been related to the transmission controller that may have been damaged in the accident, maybe a broken wire or a crack in the housing of the controller. They took the van to the Chrysler dealer right across the street from them. After 3 days of the van talking with the computer in their shop it was determined that the front pump is bad and that the torque converter is bad. Nothing to do at all with the accident. I went and got the van and took it to the Dodge dealer where we bought the van, The Dodge dealer is the one that has done all the warranty work and there has been a lot of warranty work done on this van. They got the same results as the Chrysler dealer after hooking it to their computer, only it took all of like 30 minutes. They say they have never seen this type of problem before. There is something like a fifth gear in the torque converter that locks in when the van is on the highway and the computer senses a steady speed over 55 miles per hour, this 5th gear will lock in and prevent any slipping in the torque converter clutches and reduce engine RPM to approx. 1500 RPM&#39;s giving you about 2 more miles per gallon on the highway. Anyways my torque converter is not doing this, the computer is sending the signal but the locking of the torque converter is not happening.

&#036;1600 dollars to fix it. I&#39;m out of the 3/36 warranty by 4000 miles and I bought the van about 4 months before Chrysler started the 7/70 power train warranty. The Dodge dealer is offering a 50/50 split on the bill. Since this is not related to abuse or neglect on my part.

So does this all sound right to any of you out there. I got the second opinion because it did not sound quite right to me. Hopefully the two dealers have not been talking to each other or my file is not already in the Chrysler database from the first dealer. The van drives great there is no slip in the transmission, no whiney noise. Does anyone&#39;s RPM&#39;s drop after you have been at highway speeds for awhile, I&#39;ve never noticed anything happening after the shift into overdrive 4th gear. But then again a never knew about this magic 5th gear.

Thanks for any help or input on this matter, Ken

ServiceManager Guest

Call Chrysler customer service &#33;
    It is a little known fact that they will "extend" the warranty on a case by case basis. If not you may want to speak to the service department about buying a warranty now and bringing your car in once the warranty is in effect. Not totally ethical but it&#39;s a better bang for your money in the long run and the dealer that sells the Chrysler warranty still get a commission.

FYI - The dealer your car is at now most likely doesn&#39;t know what the other dealer did or didn&#39;t do. Chrysler&#39;s computer only shows warranty repairs.

Thanks

My "0700" code experience

I got the 0700 and limp mode... took it to the dealer, and it was said to be the solenoid shift pak. Had them do it... a thousand dollars and a week later same problem. They said it needed that anyway... I took it and had the transmission codes read out at a private shop - the transmission codes are different, and not readable through a standard code reader... 42 bucks. All the shift solenoids (4) were reading out as bad. Hmmm unlikely. I signed up for alldatadiy.com. Dug into it, and there is an eatx relay, as well as an eatx fuse. swapped the relay with a nearby relay for the fog lights... what do you know, the problem disappeared! One year later, same problem. Replaced it this time and it is good to go.

Thanks

Hi what is an eatx relay-is it in the relay box in front of the driver-under the hood ? Please advise

Thanks

Hi what was it that failed one year later-the relay-and you replaced it ? Want to be sure i understand thank you

+ Reply to Thread