The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

New Toy

8K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  voiceofstl 
#1 ·
Just bought this 1988 Jeep Comanche pick up from the second owner. Base truck, 4 cyl, 4 speed, manual steering. Aside from an old Audiovox stereo and one repaint, it is totally original. Best thing is no rust anywhere. Was apparently garage kept. Needs some general parts replacement due to 144,000 miles and being 25 years old. Even scored an original 88 Jeep radio on e-bay, and a set of NOS seat covers.
Plan to keep it original and show it, use it for a run-around. How often do you see a 25 year old vehicle that is stock.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Quite the rare find for sure. If I see one around here its either modded up, or rusting out.

#4 ·
In the process of replacing the ware items. Installed a new steering box, changed the fluids, and today doing all the vacume lines. Had to put new tires, of the correct size on. Had 235/75/15 which was throwing the gear ratio way off. Also was a pain to steer due to the large tire footprint. But, bought it as a fun project. Main thing is condition of the body. Everything mechanical can be rebuilt or replaced at a reasonable cost, but body work is so damn expensive. Figured I was ahead of the game by finding such a stright body.
Paid 2000.00 for it and I set a 1500.00 budget for all the replacement items and parts. Hopefully will end up with a nice little show truck to enter in stock/unmodified class.
Grumpaw

#5 ·
Wow...what a really nice little truck! Great that you found one with a good body. I'm in total agreement with you. One of my criteria for buying any used vehicle is a near perfect body - no rust. Cost of autobody work aside, I'm not a fan of 'aftermarket' bondo, fiberglass or what have you in a car. My bro lives in NC and I know that's partially why he took a job there - to buy rust-free cars, trucks and motorbikes. If it was my truck, I would still protect it against rust by oil spraying it or similar, but maybe that's a bad idea where it's mostly original and you want to show it - I really don't know. All, I know is that up here in Eastern Canada, I wouldn't drive one in the winter without coating it in some kind of oil spray and a good paint protection - especially if it's an older vehicle. You're propably ok in VA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.