Rusting Strut Tower 2000

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rusting Strut Tower 2000

Thanks

Rusting Strut Tower 2000

Need some help. I have a 2000 Grand Caravan which we purchased brand new and was babied from day one. Heated garage kept, wiped off every day, etc. Looks brand new. However, the left front strut tower is starting to rust through! My husband is furious. Chrysler has been of little or no help now that it is out of warranty. My husband thinks it's going to pop through soon. I heard there was a bulletin concerning this issue, but can't seem to get a copy of it. I'd also like to know if anyone has had this repaired and what they paid for it. I neither can afford or want to purchase a new van, so repair is our only option. I feel Chrysler should pay for this as it would seem to be some type of a defect in workmanship. Has anyone received any assistance from Chrysler? Please help. Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by busybarb
    Need some help. I have a 2000 Grand Caravan which we purchased brand new and was babied from day one. Heated garage kept, wiped off every day, etc. Looks brand new. However, the left front strut tower is starting to rust through! My husband is furious. Chrysler has been of little or no help now that it is out of warranty. My husband thinks it's going to pop through soon. I heard there was a bulletin concerning this issue, but can't seem to get a copy of it. I'd also like to know if anyone has had this repaired and what they paid for it. I neither can afford or want to purchase a new van, so repair is our only option. I feel Chrysler should pay for this as it would seem to be some type of a defect in workmanship. Has anyone received any assistance from Chrysler? Please help. Thank you!
    So yay for worrying- your van is four years younger than mine and that's happening. How bad is the damage so far?
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysler1924
    So yay for worrying- your van is four years younger than mine and that's happening. How bad is the damage so far?
    Has visable crack and rust. Like I said, my husband thinks it's going to pop through soon. We've heard some creaking noises of late, but maybe I'm just getting paranoid. My van only has 47,000 miles on it, so this is really frustrating to me.

Thanks

Sorry to hear about the rust problem. You need to have a professional bodyshop look at the problem. If it rust through you could have an unexpected change in the front end and the strut tower could let the strut shift and cause problems. I had this problem on a 98 T&C but sold it and do not know what was done to fix it. You may want to lower the temp in your heated garage. A friend of mine had a heated garage and had all kinds of rust problems on his cars. When you bring the car in from the cold moisture will build up on the inside of the metal panels and condense into the seams and cause corrosion to start. Even worse salt and road dirt caught in areas like the strut tower area will be more corrosive in the temp change bringing the cold car into a heated garage. This in it's self did not cause all the problems. Poor metal prep is usually the cause of the strut tower rust problem but the heat cool cycle does cause extra corrosion to start.
    2002 Town & Country LXi AWD Lt.Almond Pearl 3.8 V6

Thanks

There is a TSB's on that:

1999 Dodge Truck Grand Caravan FWD V6-201 3.3L VIN R SFI
    Vehicle Level Technical Service Bulletins All Technical Service Bulletins Suspension/Body - Strut Tower Corrosion

Suspension/Body - Strut Tower Corrosion
    Notes

NUMBER: 23-044-02

GROUP: Body

DATE: Oct. 14, 2002

SUBJECT:
    NS Strut Tower Corrosion

OVERVIEW:
    This bulletin involves correcting a corrosion staining, surface corrosion, or corrosion perforation condition at the top of the strut tower/s.

MODELS:
    1996 - 2000 NS Town&Country/Voyager/Caravan

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
    Cosmetic corrosion or perforation at upper strut tower/s usually between the strut and upper load path beam inner panel (inner fender).

DIAGNOSIS:
    Inspect left and right strut towers for condition. If corrosion is present, perform one of the following repair procedures.

NOTE: ANY UNDER HOOD LABELS REQUIRING REPLACEMENT DURING THESE REPAIRS SHOULD BE OBTAINED PRIOR TO BEGINNING REPAIRS.

PARTS/MATERIALS REQUIRED

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED

REPAIR DESCRIPTION:

Repair A - Cosmetic corrosion removal and the application of corrosion resistant materials and/or primers and topcoats.

Repair B - Corrosion perforation removal and installation of 1 or 2 new cap/s and kit/s.

NOTE: REPAIR PROCEDURES ARE OUTLINED IN THE INSTRUCTION SHEET INCLUDED IN THE PARTS KITS.

POLICY:
    Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

2003 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
    Terms of Use

If you want a copy of the tsb, e-mail me at : trdstr2000@sbcglobal.net
    Put STRUT TOWER CORR. in the subject line so I know it is not junk mail.
    Last edited by DSMLVR; 11-14-2005 at 03:54 PM.
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD 3.5L

Thanks

I have a full text with part numbers, drop me a note if you want it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alvin
    I have a full text with part numbers, drop me a note if you want it.

Why not just post it? Just a question.
    KC.
    2012 VW Routan Highline w/ 3.6 L, 27,000 km.

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan ES w/3.3, 250,000 KM and still going somewhere as it has been sold!

Thanks

Rusting Strut Tower

You can reach me at busybarb@comcast.net I'd appreciate any info you can supply me. Thank you.

Thanks

THere are 2 things helping to cause this. One is battery placement. The gasses from the battery cause sufuric acid to stay on top and 2 is your heated garage. BTW a heated garage is the WORST thing you can do to a vehicle. It's actually better to leave them outside. An unheated garage is next best but heated is definitely a no no.
    BTW I have the same issue on my 99 and I got a quote from a trusted body shop for $500. to weld in a new cap. Considering that the kit is $95.00 and the structural adhesive is about $135.00 I will have the body shop do it and know I didn't do something wrong. ;-)
    Larry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ESADORNED
    Why not just post it? Just a question.
    KC.
    I believe that would meet definition of "publishing" and be against the terms of my Infotraxx subscription. I hope this answers it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply