The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Auto shift - & +

24K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Royce70 
#1 ·
I have been looking for some info on the shifter in regards to shifting the trans, manually. I just purchased my 2010 grand caravan, and found that the manual auto shift is only working on the downshift side and not the up shift side. When travelling I can get the trans to downshift, but when I want it to upshift, nobody home. The owners manual tells you to hold the shifter in the positive mode until the PRND display brings you back to the D mode. But so far this does not work. I have been to my dealership, and in a very polite way they are telling me that this may or may not be covered under warranty. We would have to get into dealing with the van in order to find out if warranty will cover it or not. In other words, I'm about to get bent over.:nut: Does any one else every use this function, or have had any problems?

#2 ·
Need more details -- Are you aware it is NOT a full manual control of the gears? Say you set it for 4th gear it will shift up to 4th gear but not go over. You cannot manually hold it in 4th and floor it, the van will still downshift.

Really all it's good for is LIMITING the transmission to a certain gear or DOWNSHIFTING to control speed going downhill. It will not force an upshift.

#3 ·
This may be a little long winded but it shows how the shifter works in my 2010 4L, particularly the shift back to D.

I live in Hamilton and, every day go up and down the "mountain" to take my dogs to the best leash free area. Coming down the mountain the speed limit is 70Km/hr. I shift from d to the manual shift at the top. Usually it shifts into 5 but if 6 it will down shift to 5. As I go down the hill the van will speed up at about 80 km/hr I will down shift to 4. That will hold the speed to the bottom. Near the bottom the speed limit drops to 50km/hr. I apply the brakes and hold the lever to the plus side for no more than 2 seconds and it shifts to D again.,

Reactions: gsmagnum
#4 ·
This may be a little long winded but it shows how the shifter works in my 2010 4L, particularly the shift back to D.

I live in Hamilton and, every day go up and down the "mountain" to take my dogs to the best leash free area. Coming down the mountain the speed limit is 70Km/hr. I shift from d to the manual shift at the top. Usually it shifts into 5 but if 6 it will down shift to 5. As I go down the hill the van will speed up at about 80 km/hr I will down shift to 4. That will hold the speed to the bottom. Near the bottom the speed limit drops to 50km/hr. I apply the brakes and hold the lever to the plus side for no more than 2 seconds and it shifts to D again.,
This is how ours works too

#5 ·
I can tell you exactly what the problem is... The sensor inside the shift mechanism has malfunctioned and needs to be replaced... I had an 08 Dodge Caliber R/T with the EXACT same problem (would only downshift and not upshift... At the time it was under warranty, so a day at the dealer and it was fixed. Cant see any LOGICAL reason the dealership would say it isn't covered... Its a part most Dealers don't stock, so its usually available in a day or two. I would either speak to the Service Manager and ask for an explanation or simply visit another Dealer.

#6 ·
Well thanks to everyone who have responded so far. So trying to answer for all the info received will be a little tricky. Yes I realize that when I have dropped a gear it will not go past that, but some where along the way I should be able to get back to drive, as hamilton guy and un4gtbl have quoted. With what 08gcse has quoted, I'm going to approach them on the sensor this coming thursday. I'm going to presume it will be the sensor right in the shifter? Will post results as to what has happened, and once again thanks for the replies.

#7 ·
Well i got my van back from it's recall that it was booked in for. Asked again about the shifter issue and they still will not give me a straight answer. So I went to another dealer, and got the run around there as well, was also told by the second dealer that electrical warranty is only 3/60. So I'm going to deal with this problem myself, it can't be all that difficult.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.