Oil change intervals

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil change intervals

Thanks

Oil change intervals

Hi guys. i was wondering for owners here who have the pentastar engine on their minivan.. do you follow the dealership recommended oil change interval or do you wait til the oil change notice come up in the evic?

My local dealership here still recommends doing 5000 KM oil change intervals and im using synthetic oil.. so i was thinking if i should just wait til the oil change reminder on the evic shows up to get it serviced.. i'm guessing the oil change minder would come up between 7-9k km? If i follow the evic when to do the oil change and not follow the 5k my dealership recommends, would that actually void my warranty?

I think most people would just say running synthetic oil for 5k km would be a waste or it should be alright since it keeps the engine cleaner with shorter oil change intervals?

afaik... the manual states that the oil should be changed at 13k km max

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I would say this has been covered to death. Personally if I run synthetic I run minimal 6k miles but in the van we've only had 1 change since we bought and went with the light...give or take a week or two. I have run quality oil up to 10k in other cars.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    ------------------------------------
    1996 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD (stock), auto (rebuilt and upgraded), 4:10, posi, Timbrin front, 8' Fisher (150K+)
    2001 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.2L (150k+)
    2009 Town & Country LX 3.3L (45K)
    1987 HD Sportster 1100
    1986 HD FLT (Tourglide)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,083 Times in 890 Posts

Your Owner Manual tells you what to do. I don't think you will find a 5000 km (3000 mile) oil change interval in the Owner Manual anywhere. From a 2012 Owner Manual:
    CHAngE OIL
    Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The CHAngE OIL message will flash in the instrument cluster odometer for approximately 12 seconds, after a single chime has sounded, to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle-based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.
    NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months, whichever occurs first.
    Change your engine oil more often if you drive your vehicle off-road for an extended period of time.
    Let your Dealer know that you aren't doing any off-roading in your Van.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 112,920 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 311,200 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 251,430 kms

Thanks

2013 Town and Country Owner's manual Oil Change instructions:

Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change
    indicator system. The oil change indicator system will
    remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for
    scheduled maintenance.
    Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change
    indicator message will illuminate. This means that service
    is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions
    such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or
    cold ambient temperatures, and E85 fuel usage will
    influence when the “Oil Change Required” message is
    displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the
    change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles
    (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as
    soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
    exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months,
    whichever comes first.
    Last edited by gsmagnum; 01-11-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Clarified stuff
    Grant
    Mopars currently owned:
    2013 Chrysler Town and Country L
    1975 Dodge D-100 4x4 400

Thanks

with regular oil, 5-6k is a good figure. Anything 7k+ on conventional oil, and you know you're not really doing your engine any favors, although many get away with it. Some will tell you things like "modern engines and modern oil will go 10k no problem, I run 10k in my blah blah blah with no issues"...and "just because your oil looks black, doesn't mean it's dirty, that's how oil is"....and other rhetoric, but none of that matters. Oil is literally the ONLY thing keeping your engine alive, so why monkey with that?? Heck, if you changed your oil every week, you'd never hear someone tell you about how you're killing your engine lol.

You can't always follow what some ppl say. Back in the day, my friend used to swear up and down that cars don't need the 5k oil changes. 10k minimum was fine. In fact, he had a Tercel that he never changed the oil on for 4 years. Then when that got rusty/disrepair, he picked up a Acclaim and an old chevy truck. Drove them for about 4yrs, same story (only with those, he had to add oil every few months). They never quit...he just drove them until they needed brakes/front end parts, then sold them. He tried that with his latest car, an 04 Mazda 3. Game over!
    Last edited by Jon Mopar; 01-11-2013 at 10:29 PM.

if you added up my odometers, you'd probably have the distance to the moon....and back!

Thanks

I was changing oil on the '11 at around 6000 mi.
    I am not sure about the '13 just yet.
    Grant
    Mopars currently owned:
    1975 Dodge D-100 4x4 400

Thanks

could never understand why anyone would want to stretch oil change intervals, considering it is the single most important aspect of vehicle maintenance.....most vehicles fall under the extreme measures, hence the shorter interval is reccomended.....
    90 grand voyager le, 92 voyager base, 96 T&C lx shortie, 01 caravan sport, 03 grand caravan sport, 12 T&C touring, cloth, 17" wheels (13 touring L) BLACK-MOPAR running boards, mud flaps, ventshades, bug deflector, HUSKY liners, seat covers, K & N high flow filter, gold and silver accented pinstriping, CLARION 6x9's, COMPUSTAR remote start-1 mile range, FLUID FILM applied, LED interior and exterior lighting....

Thanks

Thanks for the reply! I would love to actually try and see how many kms the oil change indicator in the van will show up.. ever since we got the van.. we just follow what the dealer wants which is 5k km.. Since i'm using synthetic.. i'm just thinking of following the maintenance minder on the van just to get my money's worth out of the synthetic... I already got 6qts of pennzoil ultra 5w30 and that's what im gonna bring to my dealership when i bring it in for service on monday...

I'm just curious since i dont know how the oil change indicator system works in our van cause of the short intervals my dealership recommends.. What was the shortest time and longest time in km/miles for the oil change indicator to come up in your van? I'm just wondering if it would actually let us run the oil to the max 8k miles/13k km that the 2012 manual says..

Wow... chrysler has increased the intervals for the 2013 to 10k miles/16k km and changed the viscosity on the pentastar engine to 5w20.. Interesting.. I guess they made it 5w20 to improve fuel economy of the engine? Does that mean 5w20 would be applicable to 2011-2012 owners as well or just 2013 onwards??

Also, i think that running a synthetic oil to 10k km is good enough.. Won't you guys agree with that? Anything past that might be pushing it even though some oil like Amsoil , Mobil 1 EP have their oil listed for up to 10k miles and 15k miles and even 25k miles for the signature series of Amsoil...

Most of the people in BITOG forums usually sends their oil for testing and see if they can run it longer to maximize the life of the oil and get their money's worth ... i just think that changing oil is a cheap insurance to keep the car running longer and in good condition ...

Thanks

I would stick to the 5W30.
    My Oil Change light on the '11 around 5000 mi on one of it's changes.
    Grant
    Mopars currently owned:
    1975 Dodge D-100 4x4 400

Thanks

Our 2012 T&C oil change message came on after 4 months and just under 4000 miles.We live close to work and town so it makes a lot of short trips.I do my own oil changes and love the oil filter on top of the engine.I am a Ford guy and never owned a Mopar but this is a great van.

+ Reply to Thread