The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Rust build up under front seats

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mmahamm 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with 71 kms on it. It is in great shape except for a noticeable build up of rust on the metal where the driver seat attaches to the floor. I saw this type of rust in most used 2001/02 Caravans I saw and concluded it was from a combination of salt and snow being dumped on the floor during the harsh :confused: :confused: winters here in Ontario. Surprisingly, the 2003 Caravans seem to be a lot less susceptible to this type of rust build-up

The build up is quite thick is some places. Any advise on the easiest way to clean it without getting the surrounding carpet covered in rust?

Thanks,

John

#6 ·
inavandownbytheriver said:
Has anyone else noticed an abnormal amount of rust on the bottom of their front seats?
Yes- in the can, in the PT Cruiser and in the wife's Pontiac. Seems manufacturers don't see the need to paint those parts, hence its pure metal baby!!!

Treat with some oil, WD-40 or a nicer smelling one. The rust is not enough to penetrate the metal or weaken it, its just not nice to look at and may start to smell later. Wirebrush maybe? Then paint it tremclad black??

#7 ·
inavandownbytheriver said:
Has anyone else noticed an abnormal amount of rust on the bottom of their front seats?
Yes, I have noticed it. It doesn't bother me--guess I've gotten used to it. But my 95 did not have anything like that, nor did my 88... of course neither of those had power seats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.