The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

clunk when shifting

52K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  GutieJoshua 
#1 ·
have begun to notice a clunking noise when i shift to drive or reverse..very noticeable...also, feels like something is hitting the floor from the bottom of the van at the drivers feet...anyone familiar with this problem? this does not look good at all...taking it in for an oil change sat and will point it out to the tech...(the floor thump does not happen at the time of the clunk)

#2 ·
Our 2011 just started doing this as well. Around the same time, we also started noticing a strange click/snap sound in the front end at various times and it seems to be related to the shift points. It happens on the downshifts while coming to a stop around town and we'll also hear it if backing off the throttle. At about 25,000 miles, this is rather disappointing and sadly, I have a feeling we'll have to live with it until something actually breaks because thus far, could not duplicate and operating normally are the only results I can get out of a dealer.

I do seem to recall reading on here that a software update that resolved the rough idle at startup (something else that we can't get fixed!) also solved the rough shifting into drive and reverse?

#3 ·
I've had lots of suspension work done on my Caliber under warranty, so I fully understand.

If you want to actually get parts replaced, the best bet is to ask to take the tech on a drive so that you can point out the noise. Before I figured that out, I would also be told that they couldn't duplicate the noise. Once I was told this, and did it, I always had new parts put on when I brought it in and took the tech for a drive.

#6 ·
just notice a clunk a millisecond after putting in drive or reverse...didnt notice at shift points....never use eco mode...but the click definitely comes from the steering as i have turned the wheel while parked and it will click (unlike a clock) and knock something against the bottom of the van at the drivers feet....like a loose mechanism, maybe the steering shaft? both problems seemed to have generated at the same time....but maybe a coincedence?

#7 ·
I noticed a slight thunk if I; A) Was still rolling very slightly when shifting, or B) Shifted Quickly From Park -> D or D -> R or D-> P. I adjusted my driving patterns and make sure to come to a complete stop and don't shift hard, I stop at each gear for a Half seconded.

Since I have done that, I have yet to hear it clunk once.

#8 ·
Clunk at final downshift

I was experimenting last night on a long drive, and I'm almost certain I get this audible clunk - but you can't relaly feel it - when slowing down. The conditions are:

Car warmed up.. dunno if this happens right from cold.
Cruising in ECON at 40+ mph.
Gradually come to a stop on level ground, with the foot brake applied ever so slightly (about the minimum force to perceptibly increase the slow down).
I hear the clunk when near coming to a stop just after RPM drops around below 1000 and it appears to downshift as the RPM jumps back up a few hundred.
Doesn't seem to happen when coasting to a stop with no braking, or when stopping more rapidly. Without ECON on, I think it may have happened but it was much less perceptible.

Anyone else noticed that?

#13 ·
I was experimenting last night on a long drive, and I'm almost certain I get this audible clunk - but you can't relaly feel it - when slowing down. The conditions are:

Car warmed up.. dunno if this happens right from cold.
Cruising in ECON at 40+ mph.
Gradually come to a stop on level ground, with the foot brake applied ever so slightly (about the minimum force to perceptibly increase the slow down).
I hear the clunk when near coming to a stop just after RPM drops around below 1000 and it appears to downshift as the RPM jumps back up a few hundred.
Doesn't seem to happen when coasting to a stop with no braking, or when stopping more rapidly. Without ECON on, I think it may have happened but it was much less perceptible.

Anyone else noticed that?
You have nailed the issue on the head!

With ECON on, the transmission acts like my 2010 - clunky, jerk etc. With it off, it's nice and smooth, though you may give up about 1 mpg.

See here, where I compared my 2010 with a 2012:

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/25419-2010-vs-2012-Driving-Impressions

#9 ·
went to dealer today,could not duplicate the steering click, but acknowledged the clunk when shifting to drive or reverse.....explained to me that the gears have loosened up which is normal, because if they are too tight they will not engage properly.....guess it took 10,000 miles to loosen up!...was asked twice if i use econ mode, stated i never use it, but implies to me that using it will expose unfamiliar shift characteristics....sounds more like the "if it aint broke" cliche....

#11 ·
true, have had susbstandard service there in the past, unfortunately they offer free oil changes for the the term of ownership and that is when i inform them of problems...was a very young tech who seemed unfamiliar with the latest gen of vans....did suggest it might be the beginning of something serious....

#12 ·
I'll be taking the van in (probably after Christmas at this point) for an oil change and will try the angle of taking a tech for a test drive and see what happens. As usual, it doesn't always do it. Sometimes it sounds like we are breaking something and other times it behaves. I'll report back any news.

#14 ·
i have so many clunks, clicks, thuds. and the like with this transmission, find it hard to believe a quick reprogram , flash, etc. will fix it....all this clunking is not doing damage? sounds like metal to metal to me....dealer basically tells you to drive it till it will function no more....

#15 ·
You have 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, and it costs the dealer (or you) money to try to diagnose something that *might* be wearing out or going wrong...

I have a Chevy Malibu with a 6-speed auto as well and have decided that with that many gears they are just quirky transmissions that often hunt for gears - some are programmed more for mileage and shift up too soon, others are programmed for "feel" and won't shift up when I would want it to... haven't driven one that suits me perfectly yet.

#16 ·
Posting this story so that people can be aware of the potential hazard of this van

I started getting the same problem 9 months into ownership,took it twice to the dealer and twice the mechanic looked at me in the face and told me it was normal even after I replicated the hard shifting in front of him. We even went to a 2013 model that had double the miles as mine and it would not do the hard shifting. On Thursday July 17 my wife drives up to the drive way and put the car in park she then exited the vehicle and started walking towards the garage door to get ready to open it and pull the car in, as she turns around her mother begins yelling at her that the car began taking off in reverse. The car smashed up against our home, through our wooden fence down our 140 foot long driveway smashed over our mailbox jumped the curve median, and crashed on the telephone pole / median across the street which was finally the blunt object that was able to stop the vehicle. The driver side door was open and the car simply plowed right through it breaking it off its hinge. After speaking with the police and our insurance company we towed the car to the dealer where she spoke to the service manager and they told us it was impossible that the car would do that. They claimed that she exited the vehicle while the car was still engaged in reverse which common sense dictates is nearly impossible to do without getting run over by the driver side door. Also her mother witnessed the car being in parked stationary position and saw the car speed off towards the house where she was. We thank god that during that time none of the kids and parents where on the street or sidewalk and that no cars were coming. We are currently waiting a call from Chryslers corps services claiming manager, to report this incident with Chrysler directly since the dealer was unwilling to help us even after we told them countless times that this issue could be a serious problem with these new transmissions. I am posting this so that owners can be aware of this potential hazardous issue and be alert regarding children standing behind these cars. It's becoming very apparent that many people are having problems with these transmissions, because it was very easy to find on google with little effort. Please be cautious with this car it hope this information helps.
Best regards

#19 ·
Please be cautious with this car it hope this information helps.
Best regards
Sorry to hear you had this misfortune with your van, luckily no one was hurt!
This is the first time I have heard of this happening to one of these vans.
I have found myself getting out of my van without putting it in Park on occasion, but luckily I am in the 30 year habit of using the parking brake religiously. My daughter who is learning to drive is getting instructed to use is all the time as well.
Use the parking brake or loose it is my thought, as well as it being A secondary fail safe for roll aways.

#17 ·
although many owners (including myself) have complained about irregular shifting with the six speed transmission, I have yet to hear about any issues with the park engagement, specifically changing gears without physical intervention....have you heard of any other documented cases regarding this anomaly?

Reactions: jasper60103
#20 ·
I always use the parking break. This way the van never sits on the Park Gear. This is a cause of transmission clunk for alot of cars. The weight sitting on the parking gear will make it hard to shift from park.
I have also found that this van prefers that I shift in one second intervals between gears...
EX: Foot on break, disengage parking break, shift from park to revers... wait one sec, then shift to drive.
Drive shift to reverse wait one second shift to park, engage parking break, foot off of real break.

I rented between 15 and 25, 2013 cars and trucks in 2013. My 2002 concord died And I had no Idea what I wanted to buy.

I firmly believe that ALL 6 speed transmissions are clunkly in their own ways. These trannies are really meant to be run in "manual" mode with Drive as a convenience.
Chrysler with all the good the do in cars, really has failed with the Rocker shifter, as this shifter is not meant to be used as a sequential shifter rather as a gear inhibitor.

The only NEW auto trans that truly felt AUTO, and not a quasi sequential / Auto, was the CVT in the Lancer. You hear/feel not gear changes, Its pretty cool.... like a auto should "feel" like

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.