clunk when shifting

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: clunk when shifting

Thanks

clunk when shifting

have begun to notice a clunking noise when i shift to drive or reverse..very noticeable...also, feels like something is hitting the floor from the bottom of the van at the drivers feet...anyone familiar with this problem? this does not look good at all...taking it in for an oil change sat and will point it out to the tech...(the floor thump does not happen at the time of the clunk)
    90 grand voyager le, 92 voyager base, 96 T&C lx shortie, 01 caravan sport, 03 grand caravan sport, 12 T&C touring, cloth, 17" wheels (13 touring L) BLACK-MOPAR running boards, mud flaps, ventshades, bug deflector, HUSKY liners, seat covers, K & N high flow filter, gold and silver accented pinstriping, CLARION 6x9's, COMPUSTAR remote start-1 mile range, FLUID FILM applied, LED interior and exterior lighting....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Our 2011 just started doing this as well. Around the same time, we also started noticing a strange click/snap sound in the front end at various times and it seems to be related to the shift points. It happens on the downshifts while coming to a stop around town and we'll also hear it if backing off the throttle. At about 25,000 miles, this is rather disappointing and sadly, I have a feeling we'll have to live with it until something actually breaks because thus far, could not duplicate and operating normally are the only results I can get out of a dealer.

I do seem to recall reading on here that a software update that resolved the rough idle at startup (something else that we can't get fixed!) also solved the rough shifting into drive and reverse?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to keep_hope For This Useful Post:

friendlyr (12-13-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope View Post
    Our 2011 just started doing this as well. Around the same time, we also started noticing a strange click/snap sound in the front end at various times and it seems to be related to the shift points. It happens on the downshifts while coming to a stop around town and we'll also hear it if backing off the throttle. At about 25,000 miles, this is rather disappointing and sadly, I have a feeling we'll have to live with it until something actually breaks because thus far, could not duplicate and operating normally are the only results I can get out of a dealer.

I do seem to recall reading on here that a software update that resolved the rough idle at startup (something else that we can't get fixed!) also solved the rough shifting into drive and reverse?
    I've had lots of suspension work done on my Caliber under warranty, so I fully understand.

If you want to actually get parts replaced, the best bet is to ask to take the tech on a drive so that you can point out the noise. Before I figured that out, I would also be told that they couldn't duplicate the noise. Once I was told this, and did it, I always had new parts put on when I brought it in and took the tech for a drive.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UN4GTBL For This Useful Post:

friendlyr (12-14-2012), gsmagnum (12-13-2012)

Thanks

There have been similar click/clunk issues on the 4th gen where the axle nut is not torqued enough..
    relevant vehicle: '05 -=C=- T&C Ltd @~110K

8. The Following User Says Thank You to atoman For This Useful Post:

friendlyr (12-14-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope View Post
    we also started noticing a strange click/snap sound in the front end at various times and it seems to be related to the shift points. It happens on the downshifts while coming to a stop around town and we'll also hear it if backing off the throttle.
    Is it a kind of quiet metallic clunk sound a bit like a that clunk a grandfather clock makes during the whirring before it starts to chime, e.g. like at the start of the sound effect on this page: http://www.soundsnap.com/node/40943

Seems to come from the bottom front of the car, during more gradual slowing down, a few seconds before coming to a stop. Possibly only when Eco is on?

Thanks

just notice a clunk a millisecond after putting in drive or reverse...didnt notice at shift points....never use eco mode...but the click definitely comes from the steering as i have turned the wheel while parked and it will click (unlike a clock) and knock something against the bottom of the van at the drivers feet....like a loose mechanism, maybe the steering shaft? both problems seemed to have generated at the same time....but maybe a coincedence?
    90 grand voyager le, 92 voyager base, 96 T&C lx shortie, 01 caravan sport, 03 grand caravan sport, 12 T&C touring, cloth, 17" wheels (13 touring L) BLACK-MOPAR running boards, mud flaps, ventshades, bug deflector, HUSKY liners, seat covers, K & N high flow filter, gold and silver accented pinstriping, CLARION 6x9's, COMPUSTAR remote start-1 mile range, FLUID FILM applied, LED interior and exterior lighting....

Thanks

I noticed a slight thunk if I; A) Was still rolling very slightly when shifting, or B) Shifted Quickly From Park -> D or D -> R or D-> P. I adjusted my driving patterns and make sure to come to a complete stop and don't shift hard, I stop at each gear for a Half seconded.

Since I have done that, I have yet to hear it clunk once.
    Silver 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT

Thanks

Clunk at final downshift

I was experimenting last night on a long drive, and I'm almost certain I get this audible clunk - but you can't relaly feel it - when slowing down. The conditions are:

Car warmed up.. dunno if this happens right from cold.
    Cruising in ECON at 40+ mph.
    Gradually come to a stop on level ground, with the foot brake applied ever so slightly (about the minimum force to perceptibly increase the slow down).
    I hear the clunk when near coming to a stop just after RPM drops around below 1000 and it appears to downshift as the RPM jumps back up a few hundred.
    Doesn't seem to happen when coasting to a stop with no braking, or when stopping more rapidly. Without ECON on, I think it may have happened but it was much less perceptible.

Anyone else noticed that?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mizts For This Useful Post:

friendlyr (12-16-2012)

Thanks

went to dealer today,could not duplicate the steering click, but acknowledged the clunk when shifting to drive or reverse.....explained to me that the gears have loosened up which is normal, because if they are too tight they will not engage properly.....guess it took 10,000 miles to loosen up!...was asked twice if i use econ mode, stated i never use it, but implies to me that using it will expose unfamiliar shift characteristics....sounds more like the "if it aint broke" cliche....

Thanks

Not sure if I would trust your dealer. It sounds like they are making excuses for the clunk. Too bad you couldn't duplicate the click.
    My 2011 never clunked or clicked (Just the brake shutter until I swapped the front brakes). It had 19,000 mi on it.
    Grant
    Mopars currently owned:
    2013 Chrysler Town and Country L
    1975 Dodge D-100 4x4 400

+ Reply to Thread