The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Daytime Running Lights, NOT Equipped???

15K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  bravada 
#1 ·
I thought my 2012 T&C Touring would have had DRL's as standard equipment. I was driving in front of the wife the other day and noticed there was no DRL's. I went home and checked the vehicle settings and could not find an option to turn on or off. I just looked at the owners manual on-line and it states Daytime Running Lights (if equipped)??? I assumed that kind of feature would be standard now a days. Especially on this level of vehicle. All of my vehicles since 2005 have had them.

Anyway, does anybody know if there is any programming the dealer can install to give me DRL's? Help is greatly appreciated. :angry1:

#2 ·
This was discussed in another post that dealt with being able to change the van's settings with a computer, patch cord and certain software. I did a quick search but could not find the thread.

As I recall, one of the settings is "country" and if you set the country code to Canada the daytime running lights are activated. I seem to recall that you could also control what lights were on when the daytime running lights were on. I'll try a bit more to find that thread.

You may be able to get your dealer to emigrate your van to Canada :biggrin: so that you can have DRLs

#3 ·
Take a look in your fuse box for the fuse that controls the lights. See if there is an extra slot beside it, and if there is, try that. Sometimes a fuse just has to be moved over to change a function, but I think that applies to something like the electrical outlets. Otherwise it's a different relay or reprogramming at the Chrysler Dealership.
I think it has to be reprogrammed because of different laws in US / Canada.

#4 ·
In this thread ChryslerCares says DRLs are only standard in Canadian market vehicles. I decided to add my own.

Here's a link to the amazon page. They are blindingly bright to the point that they tap into the parking light circuit to dim them at night so you don't blind oncoming vehicles at night. This picture doesn't portray how truly bright they are. Took me maybe an hour at most to install.

#5 ·
Looks like they made it more difficult as of 2008. Apparently it's possible but not well known or understood. Take a look here: http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/2uchk-told-daytime-running-lights-2008-caravan.html
Your van doesn't have a BCM! The TIPM controls the lighting, and there is not a different part for Canada or US markets. These are the same vans until they get put on the truck to their destination. From the service manual for your van:

The TIPM must be programmed appropriately for this feature to be enabled. Once enabled, anytime the TIPM receives electronic messages over the CAN data bus from the PCM indicating the engine is running and from the EMIC indicating the status of the headlamp switch exterior lighting input is OFF and that the parking brake is released, the TIPM provides a pulse width modulated voltage output to the proper headlamp bulb filaments through the right and left high beam feed circuits to produce illumination at a reduced intensity.
Read more: 2008 caravan: that to have daytime running lights..drl..tool - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/2uchk-told-daytime-running-lights-2008-caravan.html#ixzz2B1Ly035u
If your vehicle comes back to Canada and is registered in Canada, it will have to have the DRLs enabled as part of the process. So, Canadian Dealerships would know the answer for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.