The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

ECON button - does it work?

282K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  PoeManzVan 
#1 ·
Having just driven a rental 2012 van with the ECON button, I have been wondering about it's purpose and whether it actually adds anything.

My understanding is that the programming of the shift points in the transmission computer is altered depending on whether ECON is on or not ????

When ECON is on (i.e. light ON), the transmission shifts at low speed are rougher, but presumably (from the name), fuel economy is better? Correct?

When ECON is off, presumably the opposite is true - better shifting at low speeds but worse economy?

So, for you ('11-'12) owners, is the normal operation of the car, to constantly switch this button on and off depending on driving destination?

Has anyone quantified the mpg difference between running with ECON on or off? Say, running a couple of tanks through and keeping the ECON always on, and then a couple of tanks with it off?

#2 ·
From the limited inputs on several forums it looks like ECON mode gives you an extra 1 maybe 2 miles per gallon. As you say many, at least on forums, experience harsher shifting in ECON mode compared to ECON off.

#6 ·
From: http://chryslercatchall.wordpress.c...dodge-grand-caravan-crew-brandl-media-minute/
The Econ Mode changes the engine timing as well as the transmission shift points. It also affects the way the automatic clutch operates in the torque converter.
You may find the video interesting. 1.5 mpg increase in fuel mileage per government tests.

The Owner Manual must go into some detail as to how/when to used/what to expect, I would think.

All in the interest of fuel economy of course, hence the trend toward more transmission speeds like 8 or 10 speed transmissions.

• Helpful
Reactions: Administrator
#8 ·
From: http://chryslercatchall.wordpress.c...dodge-grand-caravan-crew-brandl-media-minute/

You may find the video interesting. 1.5 mpg increase in fuel mileage per government tests.

The Owner Manual must go into some detail as to how/when to used/what to expect, I would think.

All in the interest of fuel economy of course, hence the trend toward more transmission speeds like 8 or 10 speed transmissions.

"You're not going to really notice it" he says. I think most people on here would beg to differ.

I must say that I am glad that you can switch it off.

#9 ·
what i have found with my 2012 grand caravan is in eco mode the shifts are aprox 500-700 RPM sooner and the trans will do its best to get into top gear asap. it also i find will hold the gear its in until you get agressive with the gas. the 3.6 doesnt like low rpm operation, with VVT and multiple valves and cams this engine begs for rpm. mine hates to lug so i leave the eco button off and it performs drastically better with very little penilty in fuel mileage..cheers

#10 ·
Mine shifts really hard when in ECON mode.

I actually was aware of it when I bought it, and didn't really want to get it as I figured the transmission was going out.

I turned off Econ and now it drives like a normal car.

I still should check and see if reprogramming it would fix it.

#12 ·
I haven't turned it on in the new van and didn't think about it until seeing your post. The 2012 we had, we got just about 27 mpg going from Minot, ND to Boise, ID. It was uh-may-zing! The drive back, not so much as we were towing a trailer when we got home, our mpg was down to 16.9. But hey, long stretches and even hills, through mountains, etc, it did fabulous and was as comfortable as can be.
Here around base and driving to town, with Econ on in the '12, we would avg around 19.1-21.9, depending on weather or traffic.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've experienced the ECON mode in my 2011 and now in my 2013. All the ECON button does (apart from lighting up a cute little green leaf that makes you feel kinda warm and fuzzy inside) is adjust the transmission to shift at lower shiftpoints. Dodge has admitted you can expect about a 1 MPG increase with ECON on rather than off, and I'm torn. The 3.6L Pentastar is by far one of the most technologically advanced and well designed motors that Chrysler has ever developed, but the transmission it's paired to and how it operates is just as important. As an example, driving a 300 or Charger with the new 8-speed automatic and comparing it to the Pentastar paired to the 6-speed is a huge difference in smoothness, responsiveness, and low-end torque. The difference is HUGE. Likewise, turning on ECON in the GC or TC is an easy way to take one of the most advanced Chrysler motors ever and tune it to run with the sophistication of a dirt bike.

Ultimately, ECON WILL SAVE YOU FUEL. However, you need to change your entire driving mindset. You have to baby the pedal to ensure the tranny doesn't feel jumpy, loose, and clunky. I find myself eyeing my rearview mirror at whoever is behind me and questioning whether or not I would have "on demand" power at a moment's notice if need be. If your going to use it, remember to turn it off when preparing to merge or make a quick lane change from a red light. Also, remember the basics of fuel economy do work as well, such as proper tire inflation and driving style.

I love how the Pentastar performs, and for me, I would rather (potentially) sacrifice a little bit of fuel economy to truly enjoy the privilege of owning and driving a vehicle with this awesome powerplant. Great job on this one Chrylser!

#14 ·
I've experienced the ECON mode in my 2011 and now in my 2013. All the ECON button does (apart from lighting up a cute little green leaf that makes you feel kinda warm and fuzzy inside) is adjust the transmission to shift at lower shiftpoints. Dodge has admitted you can expect about a 1 MPG increase with ECON on rather than off, and I'm torn. The 3.6L Pentastar is by far one of the most technologically advanced and well designed motors that Chrysler has ever developed, but the transmission it's paired to and how it operates is just as important. As an example, driving a 300 or Charger with the new 8-speed automatic and comparing it to the Pentastar paired to the 6-speed is a huge difference in smoothness, responsiveness, and low-end torque. The difference is HUGE. Likewise, turning on ECON in the GC or TC is an easy way to take one of the most advanced Chrysler motors ever and tune it to run with the sophistication of a dirt bike.

Ultimately, ECON WILL SAVE YOU FUEL. However, you need to change your entire driving mindset. You have to baby the pedal to ensure the tranny doesn't feel jumpy, loose, and clunky. I find myself eyeing my rearview mirror at whoever is behind me and questioning whether or not I would have "on demand" power at a moment's notice if need be. If your going to use it, remember to turn it off when preparing to merge or make a quick lane change from a red light. Also, remember the basics of fuel economy do work as well, such as proper tire inflation and driving style.

I love how the Pentastar performs, and for me, I would rather (potentially) sacrifice a little bit of fuel economy to truly enjoy the privelidge of owning and driving a vehicle with this awesome powerplant. Great job on this one Chrylser!
Agreed 100%

#16 ·
I brought mine in for service to fix the clunking transmission. They did a re-program and a re-learn on the transmission and things are a lot smoother now. I've noticed a few points where it has clunked or performed poorly, but overall it is a big improvement. I am seeing about 1 mpg more on this tank as well.

#21 ·
I can see how the econ button might save you gas in the city, but would it really do anything on the highway?

#24 ·
now I am having second thoughts of using econ mode at all if it effects the longevity of the transmission (clutch packs?).....and had just gotten to the point where its drivability is unnoticeable to me!......

#25 ·
While my van was in having the cylinder head replaced, I also took care of the recall for the econ mode and had my powertrain module reprogrammed for smoother shifting when in econ mode. I'm going to test it tomorrow in depth and see if it seems much different.

#26 ·
I have used my "eco" button on my 12 Caravan for city driving but I dislike the hard shifts and the power loss (I'm used to 350+hp at my toes so any loss in the Van is noticeable)........so is the consensus here that the "eco" button is most useful for highway driving?

#27 ·
My van runs like trash when the fuel econ button is on. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've taken the van back to the dealer since I bought it in February. They kept telling me nothing was wrong with it. Then one day last week I accidentally hit the fuel econ button and turned it off. Then I noticed how nicely the van shifted when I accelerated in traffic. No jerking, no hesitation, no rough ride. If you ask me, the fuel econ button is there to take up space because it does nothing for the ride.

#29 ·
The econ button saves me gains me 5-6 mpg on my 2013SXT and if I dont stomp on the pedal I notice no difference in shifting. Its a great feature that saves money and I use it all the time. If Im going to tow something or just feel like ripping up the road a bit i turn it off, but other then that I really enjoy the savings.

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
I find this hard to believe, unless Chrysler did some serious work on the 2013 models.

How many MPG do you get? (Do you measure it directly? The dash display isn't exactly accurate, it is usually 1-2 mpg higher than the actual number).

I do get a 5-6 MPG increase when driving on the highway compared to all city driving, but the ECON button has very little to do with that.

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think if it saved 5-6 mpg Chrysler would not have offered an on-off switch!.....it would forever be engaged....

#33 ·
We've only got about 3200mi on our 2013 so far, but per the dash MPG readout, we've noticed no difference with ECON on or off with our usage. With the colder weather, we're averaging ~20mpg tank/tank per the dash. I've kept ECON on for a week at a time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.