The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

control arms

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  gin man 
#1 · (Edited)
is it better or easier to replace just the ball joints or go for the whole control arm. How do know for sure what problem is? I feel and hear some bumping or thumping when I go over bumps in road. When I raise front end up, there is no wheel play but I haven't used a pry bar yet to check for any movement. I replaced both outer tie rod ends and one end link but still persists. Are there any pictures of the control arm removal job. Mine is a 02 Town and Country ex with 149000 miles. Thanks for any help and thanks for this site! I just bought 2 NEXEN N5000 tires for the front at a real good price at TIREBUYER.COM and I think they are great deal, look good and just handled a 2500 mile road trip real smoothly (except for the thumping over bumps of course).

#2 · (Edited)
Best to get the ball joints checked properly for horizontal play. Do the boots appear empty of grease? Have they been lubricated lately?

A load clunking, metal to metal, sound can be because of worn sway bar bushings, worn sway bar links, or loose nuts on the sway bar links. Nuts on sway bar links can loosen up after recent installation.

Perhaps the struts or strut mounts are making the noise. Can you describe the noise a little better and does it happen when going over small bumps? while turning? when accelerating? when braking?

How's tire wear? inflation pressure?

Some info: http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ControlArmsFront/Dodge/Caravan/1ASLF00075/468630

#6 ·
Somewhat away from the OPs question, but do you remember what the total was for all of these parts? I've had the "clunk" for a while, and have been mulling over what strategy to take. Bushings first is most logical, but lately I've been considering the possiblilty of doing something along the lines of what you did, all in the same repair session, followed by a single alignment. Working on the ground under the van is a PITA, and it seems a lot better to not have multiple repair sessions. I know a lot of guys only replace parts when actually needed, but I think that much of this stuff will eventually rust/wear out anyway. And at 157K, some of this is probably right around the corner. I wouldn't consider doing this if paying shop prices, but maybe the cost of parts alone (but decent stuff, not junk) might make it a reasonable possibility. Would be interested in opinions on this.

#5 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. Brand new tires and proper PSI per tire. I had them balanced too. The noise was present before I put news tires on too. Noise happens all the time; when going over small bumps, when going slow or fast, when braking, it doesn't make the front end shake or wobble and the front end does not swerve. I just put on 2500 miles and went 75-80- mph for extended time and it rolled smooth. But that noise was persistent when going over any imperfection in the road. It almost seems like a rattle but not a loud metal to metal heavy clunking. I will try all the tips you mentioned and thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.