The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

ignition key cylinder removal; key won't turn

10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Road Ripper 
#1 ·
Guys,
I need help! 2000 T&C I had to use the "rubber mallet trick" for a while until I was able to replace the cylinder several months ago. Haven't had any problems until the past couple of weeks.
Now it seems like something has broken inside the cylinder, spring maybe has it jammed up. Rubber mallet not working. I need to replace the cylinder, or at least rebuild it.

Here's the problem, It won't release because I can't put the key into the ACC position so that the key can be pushed in.

What now??

#2 ·
your choice:
large flat screwdriver / breaker bar
or
drill the key cylinder out (and pick out all the springs and tumblers)

have you tried spraying lubricant in there?
you can also try lightly tapping it with a small metal hammer and turning the wheel.. (you'll need an assistant)

#3 ·
Was ready to drill.
Found some dry white teflon powder from the kid's pinewood derby car.
Squirted/sprayed that in the key hole, jammed key in and out many times, smacked with steel hammer many times.
Key turned backwards....PROGRESS!!
More lube, more key jamming, more banging...SUCCESS!

Got the cylinder out. Put plenty more lube in, key turns. Left key in and covers off. Locked the doors and am hitting the shower.

She can get to work and kids to school as long as I know the key will turn when she gets in tomorrow. New cylinder this weekend.

Thank you for your response. I suspected I was about to have to do some demolition work. Thankfully not this time.

#4 ·
I went thru this many years ago. I sprayed Tri-Flow Teflon lube into the lock cylinder then blew out the dirt with an air compressor. Repeat. It has been years since that problem and I never did replace the cylinder though that was the prevailing conventional wisdom. Still on the original lock cylinder @185k miles. I have to think that a lot of van owners are needlessly replacing lock cylinders.

#5 ·
I'd recommend (in cases such as described) at least taking the cylinder apart, cleaning it out and examining for wear (but you have to know what to look for or you may not notice anything wrong with it). If it's worn, rebuild / replace if it's still good lube it with appropriate dry lubricant and reuse..
Often cylinder problems are the direct result of driver using a heavy key chain and/or contamination.

#6 ·
Our van has had the key stuck in the ignition twice now, both times by my wife. I go out and turn the wheel a little, and the key comes right out. I don't know what her problem is. The last time she left the key on all day and it totally killed the battery (which is already on it's way out, piece of crap Atozone batteries). I am trying hard to avoid replacing the lock cylinder, because the aftermarket cylinders are inferior and expensive! They use aluminum slider plates instead of factory brass, so the lock won't last as long. Do your research before replacing the lock cylinder. Better to clean and lube than to replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.