Winter Tires - 2012 Dodge Caravan SXT

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winter Tires - 2012 Dodge Caravan SXT

Thanks

Winter Tires - 2012 Dodge Caravan SXT

I just bought the 2012 sxt plus and love it, well my wife really loves it so I love it too.

I want to buy winter tires and rims. The all seasons I have on now are 225/65R16 and on Tire Rack it said the preffered winter tire would be a 235/60R16. I know nothing about wheels and tires, but there doesn't seem to be too many options in those sizes. Are these the only sizes that will work? Should I just stick with these and not try to play around with it.

Thanks for any help
    Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by archiero View Post
    I just bought the 2012 sxt plus and love it, well my wife really loves it so I love it too.

I want to buy winter tires and rims. The all seasons I have on now are 225/65R16 and on Tire Rack it said the preffered winter tire would be a 235/60R16. I know nothing about wheels and tires, but there doesn't seem to be too many options in those sizes. Are these the only sizes that will work? Should I just stick with these and not try to play around with it.

Thanks for any help
    Rob
    For tire size comparisons/calculations, look here: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
    Comparing the OE 225/65R16 to a 235/60R16 gives this info:
    When your speedo reads 60 mph, you are actually travelling 59.1 mph, ie the speedometer reading is 1.5% too fast.
    Take a look at the General Tire Altimax Arctic @ http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....reMake=General

Some general considerations I keep in mind when considering winter tires:
    - for most days during the winter, an all season tire provides better comfort, better wet traction, better dry traction, better quietness, better handling, and better tread wear.
    - for those icy, slushy, fresh snow conditions, a winter tire, with more than 4/32th tread depth left, should out perform a new all season tire with an open tread (ie not a performance tire).
    - tread depths on a new winter tire are typically around 12/32" to 13/32" except some that have "ice" in their name may have about 10/32" tread depth, ie similar to a new all season tire.
    - a more open tire tire with more tread depth will provide better new snow traction and better slush extraction.
    - tires with softer tread compound and lots of deep sips will perform better on ice, some tires have the sips for the full depth of the tread while others have practically no sips left when remaining tread depth is 4/32".
    - last, but not least - price, performance reviews, warranties
    Last edited by Jeepman; 10-22-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 100,747 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 303,050 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 244,100 kms

Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by archiero View Post

Thanks for any help
    Rob
    I really like Michelin X-ice tires. They have new Xi3s out this year. They have a modern rubber compound that works great on ice, but are decent on dry pavement and don't wear super fast, like some do. Modern studless snow tires are amazing. Some of them wear really fast, though and don't handle well on dry pavement.

As for size, it goes against what may seem logical, but narrow tires work better on snow.
    Current Cars:
    2004 Chrysler Town and Country 3.3, 227,000 miles
    2004 Chrysler Concorde 90,000 miles
    2008 Chevy Malibu 79,000 miles

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Consultant For This Useful Post:

gsmagnum (10-22-2012)

+ Reply to Thread