Changed fuel pump, now having trouble filling tank

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Changed fuel pump, now having trouble filling tank

Thanks

Changed fuel pump, now having trouble filling tank

I changed my fuel pump with a Bosch unit. It was a pretty easy job. They new fuel pump works well, but now I'm having hard time filling the tank. I can get about a half gallon of gas in at time before the pump shuts off.

I checked to make sure the vent hose that goes to the charcoal canister wasn't crimped and it's fine. I also disconnected that hose and tried to get gas, just to make sure the canister wasn't clogged or something...Same result. I checked all the other hoses and they seem fine.

I'm thinking something happened in the filler tube when I disconnected or reconnected the rubber filler hose.

Any ideas?
    2004 Chrysler Town and Country 3.3, 292,000 miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Did you check for any debris in the roll-over safety valve at the bottom of the filler neck?
    relevant vehicle: '05 -=C=- T&C Ltd @~135K

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atoman View Post
    Did you check for any debris in the roll-over safety valve at the bottom of the filler neck?
    Is that the metal flapper valve that the gas nozzle pushes open? I just looked and it is missing. I wonder if it fell off and got stuck somewhere between the filler tube and gas tank?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I pulled the filler tube totally out of the car. I can look into where the rubber hose connects to the tank. I can see the check valve and their is nothing blocking it. The filler tube is totally open as is the vent tube that comes off of the top of it. I have no idea what else to look at at this point.

Maybe air in the system?

Airtex has a service bulletin for purging air from the system after replacing the pump:
    http://www.airtexproducts.com/Resour...5-airpurge.pdf

The fuel pump for the 4th gen is "E7144M Airtex Fuel Pump Assembly" so this bulletin applies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blknblu View Post
    Maybe air in the system?

Airtex has a service bulletin for purging air from the system after replacing the pump:
    http://www.airtexproducts.com/Resour...5-airpurge.pdf

The fuel pump for the 4th gen is "E7144M Airtex Fuel Pump Assembly" so this bulletin applies.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did that procedure to get it started after I replaced the pump. It runs fine now, it's just that I can't fill it up. I lowered that tank a little and couldn't find any problems. I guess I'll drop the tank and remove all the vent hoses and make sure none of them are obstructed in any way.

Thanks

I think I found the problem. The inside of the rubber hose that connects the filler tube to the fuel tank sort of delaminated. The hose is very stiff and it's hard to get the filler tube attached to it. When I did, the insidelaywer of the hose pushed in, causing an obstruction. I ordered a new hose the dealer and will put it in tomorrow evening.

Thanks for posting the cause and result.
    Hank
    07 Dodge Caravan SXT 3.3L Gold 135,000 kms
    05 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3L Silver 200,000 kms now sold and replaced with a 13 Journey.
    84, 89, 93, 94, 95 Chrysler minivans in my past, all served me well and are long gone.
    90 Shadow long gone

Thanks

This tye of problems are interesting because are not common and many times even if you take the car to the dealer many times they dont do crap to the cars. Sucks.

Thanks

Unfortunately, the hose wasn't the problem. I just replaced it and put everything back together. I got about a gallon of gas into it, before the pump shut off. I am totally at a loss at this point. I know that the problem isn't with the charcoal canister, the vent line from the filler tube is open and that the flexible line that connects the filler tube vent to the gas tank is wide open.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply