Clunk when going from reverse to drive

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clunk when going from reverse to drive

Thanks

Clunk when going from reverse to drive

I've noticed lately that when I go from reverse to drive and vice versa, you can hear and feel a "clunk" from approximately the area of the differential on the back of the transmission. If I have been driving forward, then come to a complete stop & shift into reverse, then give it a little gas, I get the 'clunk' right before it starts to move. Same thing if I do the opposite - stop, shift into drive, and then start to give it gas - 'clunk'. It shifts through all gears just fine while driving. Transmission seems just fine otherwise. If I have been going forward, stop, then go forward again, no clunk. Only when changing between drive/reverse.

I'm thinking it is something in the differential, and may even be normal. Thoughts? Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Check for play in your tie rod ends, inner tie rods or drive shaft joints.
    Hank
    07 Dodge Caravan SXT 3.3L Gold 105,000 kms
    05 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3L Silver 165,000 kms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    Check for play in your tie rod ends, inner tie rods or drive shaft joints.
    Hank
    Steering rack, inner & outer tie rod ends are all brand new. Also just replaced one of the drive shafts with a brand new Cardone unit. Everything torqued to spec. How would I check the drive shaft for play? Hold the inner joint stationary and try to turn the wheel?

Thanks

Another maybe related question... with both front wheels off the ground and the transmission in park, if I try to turn one of the wheels, it will turn just a little bit forward and reverse before I feel the transmission gears stop it. When you turn it, you can hear/feel all of the various gears in the transmission differential turning before (I'm guessing) it is finally stopped by the input shaft/parking gear. How much forward and backwards should I be able to turn the wheel before it is stopped by the parking gear?

Also, if I put the tranny in neutral with both wheels off the ground, if I spin one wheel, there is a momentary delay before the opposite wheel reacts. You can feel/hear the gears turning before the slack is taken up and the opposite wheel responds. Under this same principal, if the transmission is in park, you can turn one wheel slightly forward and the opposite wheel slightly reverse before they both are stopped by the transmission. How much of that is normal?

Thanks

have you checked/ruled out the rear trans mount? do you see any excessive movement of the engine&trans if you open the hood and shift R-D/D-R?

In park, with both wheels off the ground, you should be able to turn one wheel clockwise with the opposite wheel turning counterclockwise as many full revolutions as you want. the play between the two wheels should not exceed an angle of 5 degrees max (more like 2-3 degrees).
    Last edited by atoman; 09-18-2012 at 12:26 AM.
    relevant vehicle: '05 -=C=- T&C Ltd @~110K

Thanks

when rocking the front tire back and forth on the ground, like you said in previous post, look for play in the control arm bushings. have someone rock the car when in park and look under. I had a clunking/snapping sound that ended up being that. I was able to see the control arm play back and forth in the old rubber bushing.

Thanks

I had my wife sit in the car and shift it... it did not make any clunk sound when shifting, but when I had her give it a little gas (with foot on the brake, so she didn't run me over LOL) it would make the clunk one time in each direction. Shift into drive, give it a little gas, "CLUNK"...shift to reverse, give it a little gas, "CLUNK".

The front and rear as well as the left side mounts are all brand new. When doing this test, I noticed more movement in the front mount than I did in the rear.

I'm wondering if it is the front mount. See my post, here: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...ount-Alignment where I was worried about the alignment of that front mount.

I wanted to investigate it further but it started raining hard so I had to stop. I will try and check it more thoroughly later.

Thanks

UPDATE: I put both front wheels in the air and did the same test...I could definitely hear the sound coming from the driver's side, which is the side where I just replaced the CV axle. So I took the driver's side wheel off and shifted park-drive-reverse, giving it gas when in gear, and I could hear/feel the "clunk" from either the inner CV joint or where it enters the transmission. I checked all the other suggestions, but it was definitely coming from inner CV/transmission area.

I guess my next step is to swap out the new CV axle under warranty for another one and try changing it out to see if that eliminates the problem. I can't think of any other way to isolate whether it is the CV or transmission causing the noise. I'd much rather re-do the CV than to R&R the transmission!!

Other than the clunk, I'm not getting any symptoms...no vibration, no clicking, no other noises, tranny shifts smooth..

Thanks

Hi beachlover

Not sure if I missed it in the above posts but what platform / model year / type of vehicle do you own?

Thanks

Oh now after see the link you provided, I see its a 2005 T&C.

The clunking noise may be a result of one of the following conditions:

A torn seal boot on the inner or outer joint of the half shaft assembly.
    A loose or missing clamp on the inner or outer joint of the half shaft assembly.
    A damaged or worn half shaft CV joint.

When installing the c/v joint, the inner CV joint seal boot MUST be positioned on interconnecting shaft so the raised bead on the inside of the small diameter end of the seal boot is in mating groove on interconnecting shaft.

Be sure to not hit the outer tripod bearings in an attempt to install spider assembly on interconnecting shaft.

Seal boot must not be dimpled, stretched or out of shape in any way. If seal boot is NOT shaped correctly, be sure to equalize pressure in seal and shape it by hand.

+ Reply to Thread