The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1994 Voyager 3.3l Belt tensioner

12K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  dw8 
#1 ·
Well, the van is off the road :( Delivering papers Fryday it threw the serpentine belt and Saturday while trying to put the new one on the tensioner broke whilst I was trying to relieve that tension.
I recall removing it when I had to replace the power steering pump, twice as the first one leaked, but am wondering now if I have to remove the PS pump to get at that tensioner bolt on the inside.
And I have a cd of the Factory Service Manual but I'll be darned if I can find a procedure to replace it. I can't even find any listing in the index a except belt tension chart for the 3.3l V6.

See less See more
#2 ·
I run mine up onto ramps, with a four foot long 2x8 attached to lessen the angle, and access the tensioner nut from towards the driver's side with a two foot extension and a swivel on a 15mm socket. You need a droplight or flashlight to see nut but after doing a few times it is actually easy. To install either have someone hold tensioner so you can tighten nut with tensioner in correct alignment or shove a rolled up towel or anything to keep it in place while you tighten nut..

#4 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Both replies helpful and made me optomistic. Went to Chrysler Dealer to see if parts guy could help me find a prodecure and he looked for 30 minutes without success. Didn't want to waste anymore of his time so I said thanks and left, letting him return to his regular business.
Van just passed 75k miles but it was off the road for a few years and took me quite a bit of work getting it road worthy. Fuel lines, brake lines, PS pump 2x. Raining today or I'd be under it now working on it.

Again, THANKS for your time and effort.

#5 ·
I have the factory service manuals for my '95 and I couldn't find any procedure there either. I work in the auto aftermarket so I was able to look in the 2000 manual as well (last year for this design tensioner) and it doesn't have the procedure either. More than likely Chrysler just thought it was an easy enough thing that there was no need to provide a procedure. Many of the manufacturers do that and it can be frustrating.

#6 ·
Tensioner replaced and it was fairly easy once I removed LF wheel and that access panel. So far that FSM is 0 for 2, I earlier looked up stuff about the rear power windows and mine looked different that what they showed.
Here are the remains of the Tensioner.

#7 ·
Glad you got it fixed. I need to put a note in my service manual to remind me how to do it.

As for the quarter window motors, on my '95 the motor is right at the window. Probably the same as the '94. Earlier ones had the motor down low in the quarter panel with cables to operate the window. My service manual shows the right thing for that and I practiced on one at the junkyard.

#9 ·
Didn't check this in awhile but wanted to mention that my 94 Voyager did in fact have the motor by the window.

#10 ·
If you search my name (dw8) and HOWTO you will find a simple procedure to replace it. Key is to slip it on and off the idler pulley. Also, I found that some of the replacement belts are a little short based on manufacturer. You can go with one slightly larger if you can't get the one of specified length on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.