Melted map light holder

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Melted map light holder

Thanks

Melted map light holder

Noticed the passenger side map light was not working. Figured the bulb gave it up. Finally had the time to pop the lense off today and discovered that the bulb was still good, but the holder that it sits in had started to melt!! The plastic melted enough to cover one of the contacts, effectively shutting off the bulb.

Anyone ever seen this before? Now, I'm willing to admit possible fault on this... I think the map light probably got left on, but to melt the holder??!! Didn't see THAT coming.
    Attached Images
    Brian

Current:
    '07 Grand Caravan - Current ride
    '09 Nitro R/T - The "Bosses" NEW ride

Retired:
    '09 Charger - The "Bosses" ride
    '01 Grand Caravan - Gone, but never forgotten.
    '92 Ford Taurus
    '88 Caravan - You never forget your first one.
    '85 Ford Tempo
    '76 Dodge B300 - Good times
    '69 Ford 1/2ton Pickup(F100?)
    '74 Mercury Comet
    '77 Plymouth Fury Salon - Old green clunker

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

A friend had a late-80s Caddy Allante. ALL the tail-light reflectors in those would melt from brake light heat. On one of his, the bulb and socket fell into the light housing, the plastic solidified, and the plastic had to be CUT to remove the bulb and replace the tail-lights...

For you, a solution would be to install LED bulbs. Does your van have interior lights that go out by themselves after a few minutes? I don't know if all conversion bulbs are "dim-able".
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    Northern NJ
    2002 Grand Caravan ES "Extra Special"...
    Blue
    3.8L, Touring Suspension, 17" Alloys, and Autostick

Thanks

Yes, when the doors are shut, after a short period the interior lites go out. Thought about LED lighting, but so far, that's as far as it's gotten. Thanks for bringing it back to the forefront tho, will have to look into it a bit further.
    Brian

Current:
    '07 Grand Caravan - Current ride
    '09 Nitro R/T - The "Bosses" NEW ride

Retired:
    '09 Charger - The "Bosses" ride
    '01 Grand Caravan - Gone, but never forgotten.
    '92 Ford Taurus
    '88 Caravan - You never forget your first one.
    '85 Ford Tempo
    '76 Dodge B300 - Good times
    '69 Ford 1/2ton Pickup(F100?)
    '74 Mercury Comet
    '77 Plymouth Fury Salon - Old green clunker

Thanks

Yes, on my 2005 T&C, my driverís side map light was inoperative. I pried off the cover to examine the bulb. Even though the bulb looked good, I sought out a replacement and installed it. It still did not work. When I examined the switch, I found it melted, which was why there was no light. I had my van in at the dealership and asked them to look at it. They told me that there is no simple fix and that the whole upper panel needed to be replaced at the cost of $175 (parts and labor). I was in a generous mood and told them to fix it. It is nice having a light again.
    2005 Town & Country Limited

Thanks

On the 04 Malibu that we used to own the front headlights were fogged up inside from smoke from the signal lights that were also used as daytime running lights. The heat from the bulbs would melt the connectors and burn holes through the back of the reflectors.
    Hank
    07 Dodge Caravan SXT 3.3L Gold 125,000 kms
    05 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3L Silver 185,000 kms
    84, 89, 93, 94, 95 Chrysler minivans in my past, all served me well and are long gone.
    90 Shadow long gone

Thanks

I believe I have some of the bulb holders laying around - if you can't find one at the junk yard. Got a picture of the lens assembly?

-Jim

Thanks

In my 01GC, I noticed that the map lights were dimming occasionally and sometimes turned off about three years ago. Also thought the bulb, but while disassembling by twist the bulb socket, I noticed extensive oxidation/corrosion/whatever you want to call it. Basically, I think that the resistance builds up over time due to the choice of metal used by Dodge causing a current increase and obviously a temp increase. I suspect that the resistance increased so much for you that you basically have a toaster up there at the electrical joint/connection. I used some scour pad to freshen the metal and my bulbs are bright again and no longer dim.

I am also finding that some of the console buttons/switches (power side door and child interlock) have poor connections at the connector/receptacles within the upper console and they have failed even earlier. Doesn't look like Dodge used any grease within the connectors. They do on other connectors beside the distributor/plug wires, e.g., connector to my MOPAR VHS deck.

My dashboard lights have dimmed and I suspect oxidation there too since when I hit the dash to shake the joint, it used to brighten for a little while. Now, they're permanently dim. I am in CA south bay so maybe some salt air is causing faster oxidation/scale buildup. Mike

Thanks

Melted map lights

There is no excuse for the lights to have melted. That is very dangerous. My 2007 TnC is in the shop now with the melted lights and the vent window not working. 4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Thanks

There needs to be a recall on these .... take a look at the ones I posted

Thanks

My map light (overhead console light actually) just got dim AGAIN (first time was three years ago). At that time I just un-twisted it and re-inserted it, and it worked.

This time I bent the contacts a little so as to make a better contact, sanded all the contacts with a fine emery paper to clean them up, and put Conductive Grease on the sockets. We'll see what happens. I know from experience that once a contact starts to burn, it really should be replaced...

Ours didn't look half as bad as yours, so I guess the key is to act as soon as you notice a dim light.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    Northern NJ
    2002 Grand Caravan ES "Extra Special"...
    Blue
    3.8L, Touring Suspension, 17" Alloys, and Autostick

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Carbuff2 For This Useful Post:

Tafi300m (08-09-2014)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply