Replaced Camshaft Sensor still not starting

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replaced Camshaft Sensor still not starting

Thanks

Replaced Camshaft Sensor still not starting

2000 GV 3.3 174k just stopped running with out prior issues. towed to autozone and checked codes. it showed camshaft sensor was the problem. replaced and it still wont start. any help appreciated...thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Did you use a spacer on the end of the new sensor when you inserted it into the hole? Needs to be the thickness of good paper, like from an envelope. I've used a piece of torn paper stuck to the sensor with a drop of oil from the engine dipstick, and it worked great.

If that checks out and the new sensor is undamaged, next is check wiring connections and then the crank sensor. The crank sensor is on the edge of the transmission bellhousing, just behind the rear cylinder head. It also uses a paper spacer as previously described.
    DAN(husband of member STEPHANIE)

2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited - Dark Charcoal Metallic with chrome trim, taupe leather interior, loaded. In need of rust repair on rockers and liftgate. Now enjoying the new family mommy-mobile!

Knowledge can never be wisdom without experience.
    "Your experience is a commodity."
    "Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor."
    DRIVE = LOVE

Thanks

so how do you know if you got the sensor stuffed down far enough into the camshaft sensor hole since the bolt only locks down a slotted bolt hole?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dangeranger View Post
    so how do you know if you got the sensor stuffed down far enough into the camshaft sensor hole since the bolt only locks down a slotted bolt hole?
    Did you read the post right before yours? You need the paper spacer on the end of the sensor. You then push it into the hole until it bottoms out, tighten it down, start the engine. The paper spacer gets peeled of the end of the sensor, and away you go; as long as that's the only thing wrong...
    What's parked in my driveway? Well, Technically only 2 of them are, one is not actually in the driveway...

1986 Dodge Lanser - 2.2L W/ rare 5-speed manual trans - 198,000
    1994 Eagle Vision ESi - 3.3L V6 (Mounted like a REAL engine should be, facing forward!) - 206,000
    2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport - 3.3L V6 - 160,000

What's NO LONGER parked in my driveway?

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE - 3.3L V6 - 217,809 - SOLD - Drove off into the sunset on July 3, 2012 (Just got word that the new owners finally had to retire it at about 326,000!)

Thanks

Cam and Crank sensors are like walkie talkies. They communicate with each other.

A camshaft sensor will not cause a vehicle to die. Run bad yes, but not die. But a dead crankshaft position sensor will cause a vehicle to die and never run again.

Just food for thought...
    Jeff
    http://www.facebook.com/eddie.munster
    Current:
    2007 Grand Caravan/3.8L V6/103K mi/original 41TE
    2006 300C/5.7L HEMI V8/128/K mi/original W5A580
    2002 PT Cruiser/2.4L I4/139K mi/original 40TE
    1992 S-10/4.3L V6/249K mi/original 4L60E
    Previous minivans:
    1997 Grand Voyager SE/traded@192K mi/3.3L V6/original 41TE
    2003 Grand Caravan Sport/3.8L V6/traded@124K mi/original 41TE
    2007 T&C/3.8L V6/traded@44K mi/ original 41TE
    2010 T&C Touring/3.8L V6/the ex's@72K mi/original 62TE

Thanks

If the crankshaft sensor has gone, it won't show up on a code reader.
    The cam sensor sets code P0340, but there isn't a 'P' code for the crank sensor. (OBD2, great idea, poor implementation).

There is a way to find out though - if the crank sensor has gone it will set a 'trouble code' which can be seen on the odometer.
    Read this post http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...Code-Retrieval by Chrysler1924 and see if it comes up with code 11 - that is the crankshaft sensor.

Hopefully, the crank sensor IS the problem. If not, it could be the timing chain.
    To check the chain, remove the oil filler cap and watch the rocker arms while somebody cranks the engine - no rocker arm movement indicates a broken timing chain.
    '97 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LE (UK Model) , 167,000 miles. Dual Fuel Petrol/LPG. Tow Pack.
    Now sold. New owner is using as a project ! Replaced by a 2000 Nissan Primera 2.0L Sport+

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgbat View Post
    Cam and Crank sensors are like walkie talkies. They communicate with each other.

A camshaft sensor will not cause a vehicle to die. Run bad yes, but not die. But a dead crankshaft position sensor will cause a vehicle to die and never run again.

Just food for thought...
    If it was a 2000 2.4L I would agree with you, but a the older 3.3/3.8L need BOTH cam and crank sensor working to run. The newer ones (about 2004 and up for sure) will run with either sensor out.
    I have seen cam sensors set crank codes and crank sensors set cam codes.
    Make sure the cam sensor is fully seated and the wiring is good, after that I would look into swapping out the crank sensor.
    2013 TC Limited Black/Graystone Custom ordered 5/13
    Luxury non Stow & Go buckets, Tow and almost everything else. Driven to 28 states so far. Exclusively our vacation/road trip ride.
    1994 Grand Caravan SE Sport, 3.3L, 338,000+ miles and counting. Original engine and trans. Bought it new and have driven it to 48 states. My daily driver.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1994 Sport View Post
    If it was a 2000 2.4L I would agree with you, but a the older 3.3/3.8L need BOTH cam and crank sensor working to run. The newer ones (about 2004 and up for sure) will run with either sensor out.
    I have seen cam sensors set crank codes and crank sensors set cam codes.
    Make sure the cam sensor is fully seated and the wiring is good, after that I would look into swapping out the crank sensor.
    Man I'm not arguing. I see this all the time. They will have a long crank time and run rough with a bad (or unplugged) cam sensor. They will not run at all with a bad (or unplugged) crank sensor. And when you think about it, the PCM can not tell the coil when to fire if it does not know what position the crankshaft is in.
    Jeff
    http://www.facebook.com/eddie.munster
    Current:
    2007 Grand Caravan/3.8L V6/103K mi/original 41TE
    2006 300C/5.7L HEMI V8/128/K mi/original W5A580
    2002 PT Cruiser/2.4L I4/139K mi/original 40TE
    1992 S-10/4.3L V6/249K mi/original 4L60E
    Previous minivans:
    1997 Grand Voyager SE/traded@192K mi/3.3L V6/original 41TE
    2003 Grand Caravan Sport/3.8L V6/traded@124K mi/original 41TE
    2007 T&C/3.8L V6/traded@44K mi/ original 41TE
    2010 T&C Touring/3.8L V6/the ex's@72K mi/original 62TE

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alarmed View Post
    2000 GV 3.3 174k just stopped running with out prior issues. towed to autozone and checked codes. it showed camshaft sensor was the problem. replaced and it still wont start. any help appreciated...thanks
    Tough to help when you don't get feedback.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 208K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RIP For This Useful Post:

jgbat (10-23-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgbat View Post
    Man I'm not arguing. I see this all the time. They will have a long crank time and run rough with a bad (or unplugged) cam sensor. They will not run at all with a bad (or unplugged) crank sensor. And when you think about it, the PCM can not tell the coil when to fire if it does not know what position the crankshaft is in.
    I did a little experimenting.
    My 2000 3.3L Caravan will stall and not restart when the cam sensor is unplugged.
    The wifes 2001 2.4L PT Cruiser will stumble for a second when the cam sensor is unplugged but will keep running though it is RPM limited to about 3000. It will restart after a long crank time.
    My neighbors 3.5L Charger (2007?) will run with either the cam or crank sensor unplugged (not both at the same time) again RPM limited.
    The newer PCMs can determine the firing order off of either sensor but limit the RPM in case the valve timing is off.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply