Transmission problem...

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transmission problem...

Thanks

Transmission problem...

Hello, everyone. This is my first post and I hope this is in the right forum.
    I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan with the 3.3L V6. The transmission would not shift out of second gear. I was told this was "limp mode." The local Dodge dealer told me the TCM needed to be replaced. After replacing the TCM, the problem remained. I then took the van to a local transmission shop. He said that internally the trans was fine. He replaced all sensors on the trans. The only way the van would shift for a while was to cycle the key three times and then start it. Then, this stopped working. I am a "shade-tree" hobbyist at best when it comes to automotive repair, but I am confident that this is an electrical issue. Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,083 Times in 890 Posts

Did the Dealer replace the TCM? Perhaps it was a bad one, replacement parts can be defective at times.

Was the transmission scanned for codes by the local Dodge Dealer before giving a solution?

Did anybody check the wiring? For example, a bad connection at the output sensor can put the transmission into limp mode. The speedometer will not work either in that case. Does your speedometer work when in limp mode?

The transmission goes into limp mode to protect itself from damage, so there should be a fault code available.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 112,920 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 311,200 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 251,430 kms

Thanks

Jeepman,
    I replaced the TCM with an ebay part. Prior to that, the van was scanned by the dealership. They were the ones that said the TCM should be replaced. After that I took it to a transmission shop here in town. The mechanic there is considered a trans guru. He replaced the input and output sensors (if I remember correctly) and checked all the wiring. The speedometer works, but when the vehicle is idling, all the gauges "jump". The ebay part came "per-programed" after I provided my mileage and old part #. The ebay part might be the problem, it was just the most economical solution at the time.

Thanks

Just an idea. In my 2003 GC, my guages would jump and I would have issue with the gear indicator squares being all lit up with suares around them. When I took the van in for a cluster reset last year the dealer asked if I had unhooked the battery, I said no. He siad he sees a lot cluster jumping with old/weak batteries. I replaced my battery and I haven't had much issue with the cluster (knock on wood).

This may or maynot work in your situation but a battery check would never hurt I guess.

I have never had the limp mode in mine but I did have the clutch volume indexes and pump output read by a transmission shop. My CVI's are on the hgih end of normal. My trans guy said it will eventually throw it into limp mode and I will need to evaluate for a new tranny or new vehicle. The other thing I have learned is that the TCM removes errors when you turn off the engine so i would drive to tranny guy's shop and have him read when it happens to get a better diagnosis as to the limp mode.

did your transmission guy say anything about pump out put or CVI's when he looked at it? YOu will get a general idea of tranny health by those numbers.

Thanks

Thanks for the info, bisonfan.
    That probably solves the gauge problem as the vehicle sets now and has to be jump started every time I move it.

It has been a while, but I don't recall him mentioning either pump output or CVI's. The vehicle was taken to him in limp mode.

Thanks

From the sounds of it, sitting with a dead battery could be an issue leading to the TCM issues. Not sure though as I don't know what a lack power does to these control modules. If you can try a new battery and see what happens, can you drive it say 1-2 times a week to keep the battery in good working order, maybe that will prevent some of your troubles...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4speed View Post
    Hello, everyone. This is my first post and I hope this is in the right forum.
    I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan with the 3.3L V6. The transmission would not shift out of second gear. I was told this was "limp mode." The local Dodge dealer told me the TCM needed to be replaced. After replacing the TCM, the problem remained. I then took the van to a local transmission shop. He said that internally the trans was fine. He replaced all sensors on the trans. The only way the van would shift for a while was to cycle the key three times and then start it. Then, this stopped working. I am a "shade-tree" hobbyist at best when it comes to automotive repair, but I am confident that this is an electrical issue. Any help would be much appreciated!
    Have you replaced the transmission control solenoid pack? Maybe that's the problem. This box controls all the hydraulics on the A604 Transmission. Try it out. I'm barely getting this symptom from the used transmission I bought a year and six months ago. Surprisingly I just disconnected the battery for 5 minutes and drove van a while ago and problem seems gone but I'll have to see if symptom continues.

+ Reply to Thread