Dashboard lights on - ESP/BAS, ABS, BRAKE, TRACTION CONTROL

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dashboard lights on - ESP/BAS, ABS, BRAKE, TRACTION CONTROL

Thanks

Question Dashboard lights on - ESP/BAS, ABS, BRAKE, TRACTION CONTROL

Hi everyone,
    I had a question. Does anybody know what having these four warning dashboard lights come on mean ?( ESP/BAS, ABS, BRAKE, TRACTION CONTROL) I tried taking to my dealership (45 minute drive) early this morning and was turned away because they were "backed up", was told to try again Tuesday (4 days away). So I went to a second dealership, advisor was a little nicer but again was told to bring back Tuesday. Neither one offered to at least dump the codes to let me know if my vehicle is safe to drive, or if more damage to the vehicle could result from driving it.
    The 4 dashboard lights come on (every time) after I start the vehicle, put it in drive, and start driving a short distance. Does anyone know what might be going on? It's a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 with 59,000 miles on. Thanks in advance if anyone has any input.
    One side note: I tried pushing the Traction Control button (ESP OFF button located by the hazard button) this evening and have not had the Traction warning symbol show back up on the display after driving around a short block, only the ESP/BAS,BRAKE, and ABS warnings are now showing (but according to the owner's manual the Traction control, even if turned off, should turn itself back on each time the ignition is started, and in my case it wasn't)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    All of those systems are tied into the ABS. You were able to park, so I would assume the calipers, master cylinder, and pads are all ok. It might be a speed sensor, or something else, but it is most likely ABS related. Be careful driving on slick roads or making sudden stops until you can get a code read from the computer/get it fixed.

Thanks

Have you tried to check if there are any stored codes yourself?
    Let me refer you to this posting
    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...-on-99-up-vans
    08 Town & Country Touring, Black A6
    96 Camaro Z28/SS, Black M6 ,4.10 rear and all the SLP goodies...
    51 Buick Super Eight, 263ci straight eight, Dynaflow, True Survivor

Thanks

I have this intermittently with my van as well. It is definitely safe to drive, you just won't have any of the electronic assist (including ABS and traction control). I haven't had it happen at a time when I could get it to the dealership so I haven't been able to get it fixed but based on advice received here it's probably due to a failing speed sensor. I replaced my front bearings with aftermarket units that had new speed sensors and the problem went away for awhile but it recently came back so maybe it's the rear speed sensors? I will watch this thread to see how it goes...if anything happens to mine and I can get it to dealership I will let you know as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chevydude97 View Post
    Have you tried to check if there are any stored codes yourself?
    Let me refer you to this posting
    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...-on-99-up-vans
    Yes, I did try to check it for codes manually. It did not have any stored codes, it just gave me the dashes, then when the cycle completed it said "done".

Thanks

Could be a dirty or bad wheel speed sensor as stated above, some info on the sensor can be found here.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...t=wheel+sensor
    08 Town & Country Touring, Black A6
    96 Camaro Z28/SS, Black M6 ,4.10 rear and all the SLP goodies...
    51 Buick Super Eight, 263ci straight eight, Dynaflow, True Survivor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danacat View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I had a question. Does anybody know what having these four warning dashboard lights come on mean ?( ESP/BAS, ABS, BRAKE, TRACTION CONTROL) I tried taking to my dealership (45 minute drive) early this morning and was turned away because they were "backed up", was told to try again Tuesday (4 days away). So I went to a second dealership, advisor was a little nicer but again was told to bring back Tuesday. Neither one offered to at least dump the codes to let me know if my vehicle is safe to drive, or if more damage to the vehicle could result from driving it.
    The 4 dashboard lights come on (every time) after I start the vehicle, put it in drive, and start driving a short distance. Does anyone know what might be going on? It's a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 with 59,000 miles on. Thanks in advance if anyone has any input.
    One side note: I tried pushing the Traction Control button (ESP OFF button located by the hazard button) this evening and have not had the Traction warning symbol show back up on the display after driving around a short block, only the ESP/BAS,BRAKE, and ABS warnings are now showing (but according to the owner's manual the Traction control, even if turned off, should turn itself back on each time the ignition is started, and in my case it wasn't)
    Scratch the side note. I drove a short distance around another block and the traction warning light came back on with the other three.

Thanks

Oh freakin' just lovely! I am less than 6 hours from finally being able to take my vehicle in to find out why I am getting FOUR warning lights, and I decided to do a late night run for quick food, and THEY'RE GONE ! No more warning lights, you know, the ones I had since Friday night, the ones that were on the vehicle at the dealership when I got turned away Saturday! The dealership is about an hour away, what do you want to bet if I go I will waste a lot of time and gas only to be told they can't duplicate the problem now!

Does anybody know if the warning lights (which only come on after starting the vehicle and driving a short distance) will store codes anywhere even though the warning lights did not come on this last time I drove it?

The only thing that changed from earlier today when I drove it with the warning lights until now, was I decided to try and locate the ABS speed sensors while it was parked in the garage. I didn't want to pull it out of the garage, so I just started the engine long enough to pull the tires as far to the left as possible, then shut the engine off and let go of the steering wheel, that way I could get the best possible look behind the front driver's wheel. I felt behind there gently to see if I could feel the sensor, but realized it was a futile attempt and gave up. I didn't touch anything in a way that would have moved a sensor or knock debris off. I later started the engine long enough to straighten the wheels back to position, and shut it off.

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Thanks

Take a short test drive and try to see if you can get the ABS to kick in. Also, have you checked your brake fluid level? How about pad thickness? At 59,000 miles, are you on a new set of pads yet? Front and back?

Thanks

That's the same thing that's happened to me 3-4 times now...the lights will light up for days/weeks and as soon as I get a chance to bring it in, they disappear. I've brought it once anyway and they were unable to duplicate or find anything useful so I would save the trip and wait until it happens again if I were you. If you have sand/gravel to try an emergency stop in where you can get the ABS to activate, you may be able to get them to light up again if the ABS fails...when it was snowing here a couple of years ago, the lights would come on every time I tried to stop in the snow (I basically had one stop with working ABS, lights would come on, I'd pull over and turn the van off/on and repeat)...I haven't been successful in finding a place to activate the ABS when it's dry though. Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread