The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2008 Caravan Wheel Bearings - under warranty still to cost customer money to replace

38K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  chevydude97 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I took my 2008 Dodge Caravan into the shop to get the Front Wheel Bearings replaced under warranty and was told that I will have to pay for the ABS Sensors(speed Sensor) as it will be seized when they replace the defective wheel bearing and will break. Cost will be 360 plus tax to the customer.

Is it just me or does this seem wrong... I would not have to replace them if it wasn't for the wheel bearing being defective.

I contacted Chrsyler Canada and first they were going to pay for it (but at that time they were going to pay for the Tire Pressure sensor .... not the part that would be touched... not sure what they don;t know the difference of the pressure sensor vs the ABS sensor and what gets removed during a Wheel Bearing job)

Then I was contacted by The Top Priority Group (office of the president of canada) was advised that no we are not covering the cost.. it is not covered under warranty.

Yes... my van has a 117,000 KM on it... but I would not be replacing the Speed Sensors if it was not for the Wheel Bearings being defective.. which Chrysler has at least admitted too.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
That is total bull...ask them if you can provide the bearings yourself and have them provide the labor covered under the warranty. If you can, rockauto.com part number HA590243 is the Timken bearing unit that comes with a speed sensor for $100 a side. $360 for just the speed sensors is absolutely ridiculous

#3 ·
shanerrs,

I think something is very wrong.

According to an online Chrysler parts website the ABS sensor has a MSRP of $18.50 US. They must be charging a lot of labor to install the sensor.

George

#4 ·
Speed sensor should be held on by a couple of screws and one electrical connector. That would be about 2 minutes labor apiece. However, they are probably removing them to installl the wheel bearing so the labor would amount to opening the package for the new sensor and throwing the old one in the trash plus unpluging the old one and plugging in the new one. It's a sham and one of the main reasons I avoid most mechanics like the plague.

#5 ·
Yet another reason I do not take any vehicle to the stealership, or purchase a "fully covered bumper to bumper waranty" on any vehicle..... they find ways to make money...
A shop I worked at during college would always charge 3x retail for parts.... and my guess is they are charging labor for the sensor like that was the only thing they are changing....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.