The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Connecting MP3 player to the standard soundsystem

34K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  TroySmith80 
#1 ·
Hi,
just bought my 2006 Chrysler Voyager, 2.8 CRD and now I am gonna do a few modifications and updates. One is to the stereo, but before adding speakers or doing other stuff I would like to know what it the easiest way to connect MP3/iphone to the stereo ?
Cant seem to find an aux plug-in( or USP).

Any thought on how to plug in with minijack or maybe even with USP?

Thanks

#2 ·
As far as I know, there is NO way to connect either via the minijack or USB to the base stereo. The only way I know to connect to the base stereo is via an FM transmitter. Plug into the cigarette lighter for power, tune to an unused FM station, connect your choice of music player to it and enjoy.

#4 ·
FM iPod transmitter is the WORST! - I've tried it and a better solution is the iPod/MP3 player that plays through a Tape Head. Got mine 2 years ago at Best Buy. No FM static or poor reception problems! I have audio / video input on the dvd player of my 2005 SXT, but it'll automatically play video & sound when it gets video on the video input, - just inputting sound from my iPod to audio input didn't work.

#8 ·
I didn't know these existed in a standalone configuration.. Thanks FeMaster. I had a similar setup for an old 10 disc CD player that mounted in the trunk. It worked very well for that purpose, don't see why it won't work for this purpose.

#6 ·
Thanks for the different solutions. My Old Nokia N8 have an FM transmitter - now thats kind of funny in a gadget kind of way but no way a sustainable solution for music listening.

I think the "FM antenna plug in" might be OK, but too bad Chrysler havent made ANY sort of logical way to plug in other devices - the technology is not THAT new....

#7 ·
#10 ·
Yeah $265 is a bit much, I put the factory in-dash navigation in my van a while back so I figured I mine as well just put it in and I use it daily. I works great

#11 ·
#12 ·
Yup, cheap and they work quite well if you have a tape deck. I've used them many times in the past.

If you buy too cheap, you might hear the gear mechanism turning in the cassette adapter. If this is the case, take it apart (most have screws) and smear some light grease on the contact points of all the wheels in the adapter. Quiets it right down.

#13 ·
What you need is an Scosche model FMMOD02 fm modulator that injects the modulated signal directly into the car antenna cable. Works flawlessly. I used mine for 2-years on a 2003 T&C and never had station interference. It has a bypass switch that allows normal radio reception. My 03 had an antenna plug behind the glove box and was a 1/2 hour or less to install. I believe it cost around $50 new. Let me know if I can be of further help.

#14 ·
Thanks for alle the postings.
I is also good to know that if i have had an older vehicle with tape deck it wouls have been easier.
I have the 2006 model with CD + Nav systme - dont know the name, but is has now deck.
Prefferable I would also get handfree for it but (combined solution) but still researching, however i think I will go with the wired FM modulator.

Rangercreek, specific model you can recommend would be great, otherwise I can I will manage on my own.
just found a review of such system on Amazon and on guys states the different approaches well in this sentence:
"Basically, if your car's head unit (radio/CD player) doesn't come with a built-in external auxiliary port, you have four options to connect your MP3 player: (1) FM wireless, (2) FM wired, (3) aux port (if available), or, (4) a new radio."

#15 ·
if you're looking for a cheap solution, the best way would be to tap into the audio wires between the cd changer and the radio and fit a 3,5 audio jack to the other end.
then you burn an audio track the full length of the cd. this way the radio thinks it's playing music from the cd. seeing as the cd is blank the only music you'll hear comes from whatever you plug into the audio jack. this is my set up until i get the mygig up and running.

#21 ·
I'm trying to do this tonight with the extra connector that appears to be coming from the satellite radio unit. It's not working though. I cut an old headphone cord and connected the L, R and ground to the corresponding wires in the connector, but i'm not getting anything. I do not have a satellite subscription, i wonder if that's the problem? This connector plugs in to the slot that all those aftermarket ipod adapters plug into, and i'm guessing it's the same slot the cd changer would use (my van doesn't have a cd changer but does have satellite radio).

THis is all worth very little effort since the stereo is so crappy anyway. I think i'll just replace the whole thing.

#16 ·
#18 ·
Instalation was pretty easy. There is a coupler in the antenna lead right behind the glove box door. Unplug, plug one lead into the lead going to the radio, and the other to the lead going to the antenna. Then decide where you are going to locate the converter box. I located mine under the radio, behind the Heater-A/C controls as there was a large cavity there. Find a power source, I used the keyed feed to the radio, this way it's off whenever the key is off. Ground where ever... I used a bolt going into a metal bar going across behind the dash.

I took a couple of pics of the "after" installation. The switch and line in jack were in a little plastic mount, designed to be affixed with double-sided tape. I didn't like the looks of it, so installed it differently. A bit overboard maybe, but I hate the "unfinished" look and didn't trust the double-sided tape to last too long. In retrospect, I would have mounted the switch and jack in another location. There is a plastic bracket that supports the 4-way switch and pass. airbag lite behind my chosen mounting place. I had to remove quite a bit of plastic to make room for the switch and jack. I don't think it will hurt anything long term, but time will tell.

I am getting a bit of a whine occasionally so am going to move my ground point, and also ground the metal box that contains the modulator and see if it makes any difference. It's not engine noise as it's there with, or without, the engine running.

Other than that, I'm satisfied with it at the moment.

Attachments

#19 ·
Thank you, really!
I have bought the setup now and I got it by mail yesterday. I chose to include the iPhone add on. My challenge seem to be greater unfortunatly as my radio cannot connect with the standard antenna input/output that schosche uses (which is standard antenna for cars i think).
I tryed to post a picture of my radio below but the browser wont allow me, however i have an "RB 3" version(?), you must have another standard radio system in your T&C ? Perhaps it is because mine is a 2.8 CRD from 2006.

Any ideas of how to adapt the scosche system to my chrysler radio ?

I am stuck. There seem to be some adapters out there - however, the market is totally confusing and the typology for the various antenna solutions are not consistent - and the prices are 3 times higher for the plug than for the entire FM modulator incl. Iphone adapter :(
Thanks
AsserK

#20 ·
The connector at the radio is different from what you need for the modulator. But, if you look behind the glove box, open it, then gently push in at each side and it will swing down and out of your way, you should see another connector in front of the heater box. It was there on my '01, and again on my '07. Split that connector and connect the modulater to each end. If it's somehow not there, then you will have to bite the bullet and buy the adapter for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.