Do I have to sign up/subscribe/install UConnect?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do I have to sign up/subscribe/install UConnect?

Thanks

Do I have to sign up/subscribe/install UConnect?

Hi All. Next question.

Another feature I was very much looking forward to was the Bluetooth connection to my iPhone for hands free talking. I saw the phone hard button on my console and just assumed I would have that option.

Nope. I hit that button, and it says something like "UConnect will not work in this vehicle". So, I assume because the button is there, it is possible to install. I went to the UConnect website, and that was quite unhelpful.

How do I actually get this to work in my 2011 Touring?

Thanks!
    Greg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Hi Greg,

Do you have the uConnect buttons on your steering wheel?

They look like this:

Also, what are the three letters in the bottom right corner of your radio...it will start with an "R" and could be RES, RBZ, RHB, RHR, RER, etc.

If so, you just need to "Pair" your phone with your van.

If not, you will need uConnect added to your van probably.

Thanks

Even though the radio on your vehicle includes a hands-free button, your vehicle may not even be equipped with the hands-free option.

Some radios have a hands-free button because the same radio is used in other Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep® and Ram vehicles in which the hands-free option is available.

Please refer to the paragraph in the "Phone Button (UConnect Hands Free Phone) - If Equipped" section of your owner's manual that states as follows:

"If your vehicle is not equipped with or this feature is not available on your vehicle, a 'Not Equipped With UConnect' message will display on the radio screen."

I'm assuming that this is the message referred to in the original post.

Thanks

Thank you for the response. My radio has "RBZ" in the lower right hand corner. I do not have the buttons on the steering wheel, so I'm assuming it will have to be installed. Does the "RBZ" make the installation any easier?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by UN4GTBL View Post
    Hi Greg,

Do you have the uConnect buttons on your steering wheel?

They look like this:

Also, what are the three letters in the bottom right corner of your radio...it will start with an "R" and could be RES, RBZ, RHB, RHR, RER, etc.

If so, you just need to "Pair" your phone with your van.

If not, you will need uConnect added to your van probably.

Thanks

Yes, the RBZ means that you should just need the uConnect module if you already have the auto dimming mirror that has a mic in it already.

However, you may need to get a new rear view mirror (or add the Mopar mic kit - $35)

If you want the steering wheel buttons, which are useful, but I can't imagine they would be easy to install. I'm not sure if the clockspring would need to be changed as well...

Why they didn't just make uConnect standard with the RBZ and RHB radios is beyond me.

Thanks

Thanks again.

Ok, just called one of the local Chrysler dealers here, and he gave me an estimate of over $600 to add the phone feature. I was pretty taken aback. Apparently, there is a lot of work that needs to be done, and the mic he talked about installing would be on the rear view frame, not on the mirror (I think that's what he said). I'll give another dealer a call, but it looks like I'll just have to look at the phone and Bluetooth buttons on my radio console thinking about what could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by UN4GTBL View Post
    Yes, the RBZ means that you should just need the uConnect module if you already have the auto dimming mirror that has a mic in it already.

However, you may need to get a new rear view mirror (or add the Mopar mic kit - $35)

If you want the steering wheel buttons, which are useful, but I can't imagine they would be easy to install. I'm not sure if the clockspring would need to be changed as well...

Why they didn't just make uConnect standard with the RBZ and RHB radios is beyond me.

Thanks

I was quoted around $600 for install at my local dealer as well... bought a used bluetooth headset for $5 instead.
    '11 Grand Caravan Crew 3.6 46k
    '11 Chevy Malibu 1LT 2.4 47k
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/smgussey/
    2011+ tow package info: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/23413

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greg99799 View Post
    Thanks again.

Ok, just called one of the local Chrysler dealers here, and he gave me an estimate of over $600 to add the phone feature. I was pretty taken aback. Apparently, there is a lot of work that needs to be done, and the mic he talked about installing would be on the rear view frame, not on the mirror (I think that's what he said). I'll give another dealer a call, but it looks like I'll just have to look at the phone and Bluetooth buttons on my radio console thinking about what could have been.
    I bet half of that is labour tho...

The uconnect module, mopar mic and wiring harness is what is required. I bet the uconnect module and wiring are at least $100 each.

uConnect was one thing that HAD to be on the van we bought, as I didn't want to install it after. GPS/rear camera on the other hand I didn't have a problem doing.

Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by greg99799 View Post
    Thanks again.

The wiring harness for UConnect is about $350 (give or take), and to install it post-factory requires removing the trim on the passenger A pillar, running the cable for the mic along the headliner, removing the driver side A pillar trim, and pulling it down in front of the driver, in addition to running the harness to the back of the radio. I saw directions for it on the Mopar site a few weeks ago when I was contemplating buying it myself for my 2010 T&C, then figured $350 in parts isn't worth it when you can get a bluetooth speakerphone for $40.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bfurth For This Useful Post:

UN4GTBL (06-06-2012)

+ Reply to Thread