The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

96 Voyager, engine hiccup and speedometer needle went wild

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  flybyy 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 96 Plymouth Voyager with a 3.0 liter engine, 3 speed trans and 162,000 miles. I just had the tranny redone a week ago and was told everything else looked very good. But today towards the end of a long grade the engine faltered (it felt like the gas tank was low, which it wasn't) and at the same time the speedometer needle went crazy. I got to the top of the hill okay and to a flat part. The engine seemed okay but the speedometer was still going crazy until I stopped at a traffic light. After that it settled down and all appeared normal. I ran another errand about an hour later, and everything seemed okay.

I'm wondering if this was a warning of trouble to come and if so, what??

Any advice or thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Because of the mileage on this van (original engine), I'm a little nervous about what might be up ahead.

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
:ask_wsign
Definitely sounds strange...

The only similar problem I can remember that may relate to this deals with a dying battery on my 96 T&C. Once my battery output amperage got below a certain level, the bcm apparently read this as signals for several things... my speedometer jumped all over (sitting still), my rear wiper turned on, multiple dash warning lights activated, etc.

I can't imagine that this same problem would appear while the engine is running (unless you also have problems with your alternator or electrical connectors.) Might be worth going to a parts store that offers free testing and have them check your battery and alternator.

Good Luck!! :thumb:

#3 ·
dont know if this will help at all, but I had a miss that felt like total loss of power. Someone recommended checking the plugs. After much PIA I was able to get the back plugs out and they appeared to be original. terrible shape. My guess is whoever did the tune ups on this before me was ripping off the owner and only changing the front three plugs. Since I have changed them it hasnt skipped again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.