44K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Amy 
#1 ·
How does one access them?
Searched the web. Came up with nothing.

Also any way to test if its the speaker
Or a bad wiring somewhere else?

Thanx all

#2 ·
Always a good idea to let us know what the problem is. For example: My stereo only works from the rear speakers and no matter what I set the fade or balance on, no sound from the front. Or, I get only static from my left front speaker, what could the problem be. Also helps if you tell us what stereo you have. Is it the OEM or has it been changed out?

To my understanding, replacing the dash speakers is quite a chore as removal of the dash is required. As for testing the speakers, I would use the speaker leads behind the radio to test each speaker. Obviously it could be the radio, wiring or speaker. Has anything happened to the front speakers? I was working on a car once where the vehicle stopped short, and the passenger holding a large Coke spilled the entire Coke on the dash into the speaker. The speaker continually buzzed after that and the owner just cut the wire to that speaker as replacement was too difficult.

#3 ·
The dash speakers are easy to get at, you need to pull off the window pillar trim panels first then carefully pry up the front dash panel with a putty knife. Are you sure your van came with dash speakers? Niether of my vans had them from the factory. Easy to retrofit in as the wiring is already there. Just look at a wiring diagram to be sure of the positive and negative polarity. 5-1/4" is the size that fits.
Hank

Reactions: Dumpy
#5 ·
There's wiring up there already? If thats the case then i'm getting speakers for that spot soon. I need someone to guarantee this....

#4 ·
Thanx for the quick responses.
Sorry I didn't elaborate more.
Anyways:
I do have dash speakers. The one on the right works perfectly fine base and everything.
The one on drivers side sounds like only a tweeter in there. Sometimes it just hisses(no sound).
I have the oem cassette radio.
Ive tested it by dimming sound from back to front. Left to right, etc.
Seems to me the speakers are 6x9"

I will test it the way you suggested.
Thanx.

#6 ·
The wiring will be there, I simply cut the factory plugs off and crimp on terminals. I am doing this upgrade on my 2007 this weekend, and did my 2005 about 3 - 4 years ago when I first got that van. I will report back as to the polarity of the wiring after I check the wiring diagram in my manual. I was supprised to find out that my 2007 didn't come from the factory with 6 speakers even though it is an SXT model.
Hank

#7 ·
I just installed the speakers into my 2007, the wiring was already there like I expected. The plugs were simply taped back onto the wiring harness.The whole job took less than 1/2 hour to complete. The wire with the yellow strip is the positive and goes to the positive connection on the speaker. The A pillar panels and dash panel popped out by simply pulling them out carefully with my fingers. No tools needed. Just a stubby phillips screwdriver to turn the speaker screws.
Hank

#15 ·
A big 'Hank you' for the wiring information. On the advice of an audio shop, I decided to try just putting 5 1/4" speakers - I cheaped out and got Scosche 3-ways from Walmart at $19.88 a pair - in the dash before replacing the door and back panel speakers. The technician said that I should try this before replacing the 6 x 9s as he said I would probably not be pleased with the sound of new 6 x 9s as to get the best out of the system, I'd probably need an amp. I might lose a lot of low end. He said they do this a lot and it's a very viable low cost option. I am simply amazed at the dramatic improvement it has made. I thought the sound before was ok, but the mids and highs are brilliant by comparison and this is with a relatively low cost speaker. The tiny 5 1/4" speakers have really surprisingly decent bass to them as well. I described the head unit that I was planning to put in and he said a couple of weeks ago they had installed one. He said the improvement in the sound alone from replacing the head unit made the customer very happy. So for $20.00, a person can really improve the sound in these 4 speaker vans. I'll post back with my observations regarding the new head unit after I order it and get it installed.

I do understand that by putting in another set of speakers, I may be reducing the resistance the amp has to deal with to 2 ohms instead of 4. I never really blast my head unit, so hoping it can handle it. I gave it a pretty hard go to test it and it seems very stable.

#8 ·
Maybe it's because you have an SXT and I have an SE.

#10 ·
#21 ·
Better deals in Hifi

Or these: $40.00

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=269-501

or these
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=269-097

And for the third gen guys, this is 5x7 comp system
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=269-503

All around $50 bucks!. All of these are in the same league, but I have yet to hear a pair of speakers that sound the same. Interestingly, Chrysler made one of the best 5.25 inch speakers ever made with some easy modifications like a separate X-over, or Bi-amping. However, they are so Revealing, it makes it a pain to listen to. Kind of like a pair of Martin Logans. Yea, they sound SUPER. But when you can hear Ben Folds Five farting in the background, kind of takes the magic out of the music.

Really, the Infinity dash speakers in the Gen II & III Vans are pretty much the standard for what suits most audio tastes with only a few tweaks to make them on par with any $100 range speaker in the 5.25 inch format.

Polk Audio is kind of modeled on the same principal of accurate sound reproduction. Anyway, no need to save up for the same quality of sound.

In my experience, I have 3 focal sets. They do not like sunshine all that much. And they don't like deck power. I have sent 2 of them in under warranty for surround repair.

Infinity's Reference series is hit and miss. If you like Piano music or female vocals. The tweeters seem to all break up due to the low crossover point. I mean even at ONE WATT!

Boss, sony, pyle, kenwood, Pioneer, alpine, jenson, etc, on the entry level stuff are all made from the same source. The higher end lines have better stuff.

The best 5.25 I have heard at the shops so far are the alpine series at best buy that comes as a component system, and really mops the floor in clarity, while sacrificing some in the pass band to keep the tweeter clean, and the woofer, free of muddiness.

We did a shoot out with the stock Chrysler 5.25's with better caps, and a real 50 watt amp, and we were hard pressed that most of the Big box store speakers sounded worse, with a few having strengths in bass output, or lack of tweeter harshness at high SPL.

I have tested the stock system in a Gen IV and I have to say, that there was this massive hole in the mid band with lack of power the biggest problem. The tweeter really is not that bad at all. It just has one real lousy 6dB filter that's just crossed over way to low to fill the gap of the 6x9 door speakers. With only 6 watts to work with, you can't really expect much.

Hence, @ $7 bucks per speaker at the Bone yard, the Stock infinity amplified speakers are the best value you can get if you use the right ones and do some small tweaks.

As far as the stock deck goes, the CD and Radio portions are about average. The tape section has an S/N ratio of 10dB or less. Heck, it's almost a Pink Noise generator.

So you don't need a wad of cash to have a banging MADD system.

#11 ·
The speakers are 5-1/4 in both the SE and SXT. The wiring was there in my 05 SE when I added the speakers to it several years ago.
Hank

#12 ·
I got the infinity 5 1/4 in my system and they put out good bass. Those Focal speakers I'm thinking about only go low to 75 Hz, maybe I shouldn't upgrade. Did the infinity 6 speaker system have a subwoofer?

#13 ·
Im not familiar with the infinity system as niether of my vans have it
Hank

#16 ·
I'm stuck with a stock head unit because mine also goes with the 6 disc dvd changer / player. Unless there's an aftermarket head unit that does this too!

#23 ·
Reviving this post.

I just took my dash apart relatively easy. A child could it. Somebody had already installed an aftermarket head unit so I don't know for sure if my 5 1/4s are wired in or work. Definitely going to get new speakers soon though.

Pioneer DEH-X4700BT
MTX TC4002 amp
British Vibe Audio 10" 1300w max
Rear MTX(EUR) 6x9 Terminators TR694s
Front Stock
Dash Stock

#24 ·
Wow! I have an 07 SXT as well Hank... I've never even thought about dash speakers! I thought it was jamming already! I've taken notes on your dash access and wiring instructions! Im going out to investigate Vanna's front rack now.... did any of the 07's come with dash speakers or do you know? Thanks! ✌

#25 ·
There was the 6 speaker system which featured 2 base dash speakers, and the 8 speaker infinity system which had 2 premium dash speakers and 2 premium D-pillar tweeters.

In 5'th generation vans, the wiring for the 2 corner dash speakers is present, even on the 4 speaker system. Your van (if it doesn't have the dash speakers already) might have the wiring for the dash speakers already. They are wired as parallel circuits with the front door speakers on the base system, and are directly powered from the amplifier in the infinity system.

Base system they are 8 ohm, 15Watt
Premium system they are 2 ohm, and no power rating is given but likely 15 or 20 watt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.