2002 Caravan P1684 & P0456 codes



ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: 2002 Caravan P1684 & P0456 codes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,278
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    3,257
    Thanked 473 Times in 390 Posts


    2002 Caravan P1684 & P0456 codes

    Hi all,

    Had a text from a friend late last night telling me the engine light in the '02 Caravan she is driving is on. It has the 3.3 V6 with 4-speed auto.

    I walk her through a "key dance" and she gives me the two codes that show up:

    P1684 - seems to be related to the battery being disconnected/low voltage

    P0456 - seems to have to do with the gas cap most of the time, although there are a couple other things that can cause it. I had her give the gas cap a good twist as well.

    She said that somebody else was driving the van, and may have filled it up with gas, but she wasn't sure.

    Also, the van does start funny, as in, it takes some time to start usually.



    Any ideas? I did a quick search, but didn't find anything concrete.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    95
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    The P1684 is "Battery Disconnected Within Last 50 Starts". Could be a poor connection at the battery terminals. I would pull and clean the connections, and if possible have the battery tested. Leaving the battery disconnected for 15-20 minutes should clear that code.

    From obd-codes.com:
    "Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. Filling the fuel tank with the engine running could conceivable cause this code as well or if the cap wasn't properly tightened. Any of the following could also be the cause:
    • A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses
    • A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve
    • The EVAP Canister may be leaking"
    I've heard that overfilling the tank ("over-topping") is another possible cause for EVAP system problems. The hoses on the EVAP system are the first place to look; fair number of reports that the hoses are prone to crack at the connection points.

    Also, the van does start funny, as in, it takes some time to start usually.
    I know that's one of those hard-to-describe issues, but if you could flesh some detail in, it would help.
    -Doug

    '01 Town & Country Limited, 122k miles so far
    '99 Grand Caravan, 148K miles, may she rest in peace
    '97 Saturn SL2

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to douggro For This Useful Post:

    UN4GTBL (05-08-2012)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,278
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    3,257
    Thanked 473 Times in 390 Posts


    Thank you!

    I was looking on obd-codes.com as well, and came upon the same thing.

    I told her to bring the van to me after work today, I suspect that the battery terminals are a problem. I've only heard the van start a couple times, and its never a smooth operation. It always sounds like its got a dead battery.

    If I disconnect the battery, would it remove the P0456 code as well? I'm wondering if it was a gas fill-up related issue. Mind you, it could be a hose, will have to check it out.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    95
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by UN4GTBL View Post
    I told her to bring the van to me after work today, I suspect that the battery terminals are a problem. I've only heard the van start a couple times, and its never a smooth operation. It always sounds like its got a dead battery.

    If I disconnect the battery, would it remove the P0456 code as well? I'm wondering if it was a gas fill-up related issue. Mind you, it could be a hose, will have to check it out.
    Leaving the battery disconnected should clear all the codes.

    My '99 GC was a battery-eater: no more than four years out of any battery I put in it. I'm going to treat our '01 T&C the same way. I'd really recommend pulling the battery and having it tested. One thought I had was a low/marginal battery might not be giving enough power to the system at key-on for the fuel pump / EVAP system to cycle properly..
    -Doug

    '01 Town & Country Limited, 122k miles so far
    '99 Grand Caravan, 148K miles, may she rest in peace
    '97 Saturn SL2

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,278
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    3,257
    Thanked 473 Times in 390 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by douggro View Post
    Leaving the battery disconnected should clear all the codes.

    My '99 GC was a battery-eater: no more than four years out of any battery I put in it. I'm going to treat our '01 T&C the same way. I'd really recommend pulling the battery and having it tested. One thought I had was a low/marginal battery might not be giving enough power to the system at key-on for the fuel pump / EVAP system to cycle properly..
    Ok cool.

    My Caliber is about the same, and every now and then, it doesn't want to start?

    I'll have a listen for the fuel pump when I see her.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    95
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts


    I'll have a listen for the fuel pump when I see her.
    Pump's in the tank - pretty hard to hear.
    -Doug

    '01 Town & Country Limited, 122k miles so far
    '99 Grand Caravan, 148K miles, may she rest in peace
    '97 Saturn SL2

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    873
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 61 Times in 54 Posts


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    48,000 veiws and counting:

    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...ght=small+leak

    my hoses/clamps going to the LDP under drivers seat needed attention. Did not have the hose under the air filter box problem. (page 16 has all you need to know)

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunvanse For This Useful Post:

    UN4GTBL (05-08-2012)

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,278
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    3,257
    Thanked 473 Times in 390 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by douggro View Post
    Pump's in the tank - pretty hard to hear.
    Oh ok. I can hear the one in my car, so was hoping it would be the same for her van.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunvanse View Post
    48,000 veiws and counting:

    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...ght=small+leak

    my hoses/clamps going to the LDP under drivers seat needed attention. Did not have the hose under the air filter box problem. (page 16 has all you need to know)
    Oh boy, thanks!

    She took it in to a "garage" today and they figured it was just the gas cap, so she's going to keep an eye on it.

    Thanks again.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    161
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts


    Forget the 1684 code. It is a totally nonsensical code that does not indicate that the battery has been disconnected.
    2001 ES-200,000 miles

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    95
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by gin man View Post
    Forget the 1684 code. It is a totally nonsensical code that does not indicate that the battery has been disconnected.
    Or, one could say that the code is not empirical, i.e. it could be thrown by a poor connection.
    -Doug

    '01 Town & Country Limited, 122k miles so far
    '99 Grand Caravan, 148K miles, may she rest in peace
    '97 Saturn SL2

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts