2011 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Transmission Problems

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Transmission Problems

Thanks

The dealer you are visiting is obviously incompetent.

Mine hasn't thrown a code yet - but since it's under warranty they have taken it in and hooked it up to the computer to see if there are any updates and/or re-flashes for the programming.

Again, find a dealer that will do all the updates and re-flashes to the computer systems!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I have a '10 T&C limited with the 3.8L that was bought last april with 26,000 miles. We have noticed that it would clunk into gear when giving it gas to accelerate at a stop sign when the van was still slightly moving (we didnt come to a complete stop). I see in this thread that the ECO mode could be to blame due to shifts from 1-3 and converter lockup. My question is how do you disable the ECO mode. I understand if you tilt the shifter to the left while in drive that will prevent the the van from shifting to the next higher gear. This is when the gear number indicator would appear in the info center. Is this disabling ECO mode? The manual does a very poor job of explaining this. I would appreciate any info on this because we are leaving for a 9hr road trip this holiday weekend. Thanks.

Thanks

jjudy,

I don't believe that the 2010 model year has the "econ" button that allows for manual on/off selection. The 2011 Town & Country has the “econ” switch in the center stack of the instrument panel and a green light will indicate when the ECON mode is engaged. Pressing this button enables or disables the ECON feature.

When the Fuel Economy (ECON) Mode is engaged, the vehicle control systems will be able to change the following:
    • The transmission will upshift sooner and downshift later.
    • The transmission will skip select gears during shifts to allow the engine to operate at lower speeds.
    • The torque converter clutch will engage sooner (lower engine rpm’s) and remain on longer.
    • The engine idle speed will be lower.
    • The overall driving performance will be more conservative.

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I noticed last night when I was in ECO mode(highway driving-60 MPH with minimal accelerator applied) that when I tilted the shifter to the left, the ECO mode turned off. When I tilted the shifter to the left again, the ECO mode turned back on. This was repeatable. Was the '10 T&C designed to skip gears at any time?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjudy75 View Post
    Thanks for the information. I noticed last night when I was in ECO mode(highway driving-60 MPH with minimal accelerator applied) that when I tilted the shifter to the left, the ECO mode turned off. When I tilted the shifter to the left again, the ECO mode turned back on. This was repeatable. Was the '10 T&C designed to skip gears at any time?
    Did you mean to say "When I tilted the shifter to the RIGHT again"? If so then that is correct (going to the left), the RPM change will knock you out of ON mode and when you go back to the right the ON will light back up. I can't remember if you paste the gas pedal to the floor if the ECO will disappear totally. I believe it is based off of speed/RPM/throttle position or perhaps even older technology by monitoring the vacuum pressure in the engine.

From the manual:
    Message Display Area
    When the appropriate conditions exist, the following messages will display:
    ECO Fuel Saver Indicator Off
    ECO-on Fuel Saver Indicator On
    door Door Ajar
    hood Hood Ajar
    gATE Lift Gate Ajar
    LoW tirE Low Tire Pressure
    HOTOIL Transmission Oil Temperature Exceeds Safe Threshold
    gASCAP Fuel Cap Fault
    noFUSE Fuse Fault
    CHAngE OIL Oil Change Required
    CRUISE Cruise Control On
    LoCOOL Low Coolant
    LoWASH Low Washer Fluid

Also:

ECO / ECO-on (Fuel Saver Indicator) — If Equipped
    The ECO-on indicator will illuminate when you are driving in a fuel efficient manner and can be used to modify driving habits in order to increase fuel economy. The ECO display will toggle between ECO and ECO-on depending on driving habits and vehicle usage. Press the Odometer / Trip Odometer / ECO (Fuel Saver Indicator) button to change the display from odometer to either of the two trip odometer settings or the “ECO” display.
    2010 VW Routan SEL
    4.0L 6 Speed

Thanks

Question Warranty

On Saturday, I traded in my dreaded 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT for a 2011 Chrysler T&C Touring L. I got it from CarMax with 37k miles. Everything seems great on the vehicle and we tried to do a lot of pre-buying research. I drive it around quite a bit before deciding to go with this model.

Sunday I decided to put it in Econo mode from start to finish instead of just putting it in that mode on the fly. I would agree that the shifting seems to be a little clunky. Non-Econo mode seems to drive great. However, I need to try the reverse on an incline thing people have mentioned here. Is there a way to see what version or flashes have been done to the vehicle?

CarMax gives 5-day return window and a 30-day warranty. Is there a Chrysler / CarMax / 3rd party warranty I can get that would give me confidence on the transmission?

Thanks!
    Current:
    2011 Chrysler Town & Country Touring L - Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl

Past:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT / 3.8 V6 / 108k + 37k miles <<== Van with an electrical system nightmare!

Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamHawk View Post
    Is there a way to see what version or flashes have been done to the vehicle?
    CarMax gives 5-day return window and a 30-day warranty. Is there a Chrysler / CarMax / 3rd party warranty I can get that would give me confidence on the transmission?
    There is not anyway a customer can determine what version software is on the vehicle other than looking at the module (PCM / TCM) and identifying the sticker placed on it. Usually when one is updated its recorded via the sticker.

All Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep® and Ram vehicles are eligible for NEW service contract coverage within 4 years or 48,000 miles of purchase. Your dealer can give you full details on plans and pricing. You can also visit the Mopar Vehicle Protection website at http://www.servicecontracts.chrysler.com for more information.

If you have further questions about coverages or pricing please contact Mopar Vehicle Protection Enrollment Headquarters directly at 1-800-442-2666.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChryslerCares For This Useful Post:

C. Alan (10-15-2012), smgussey (10-25-2012), UN4GTBL (10-16-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

New van has been driving great. It came with a lot more features than we thought so that is good. CarMax didn't have the headsets with the car so they bought 2 brand new sets from Chrysler and sold us 2 more for $45 (total). I was surprised with their follow-up and delivery on that promise they made. They even made sure we knew how they worked in the van before my wife left.
    Current:
    2011 Chrysler Town & Country Touring L - Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl

Past:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT / 3.8 V6 / 108k + 37k miles <<== Van with an electrical system nightmare!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RamHawk For This Useful Post:

UN4GTBL (10-25-2012)

Thanks

Well, my 2012 T&C is also having the same clunk sound and also rough shifting at times. HOWEVER I just rented a 2013 Caravan and the transmission was AS SMOOTH AS SILK and it had MUCH QUICKER off the line pickup so much so I had to look under the hood to make sure it was the same engine. Go test drive a 2013 and see for yourself. What ever is making our trannys wonky is all fixed in 2013 and then some.

Thanks

Someone at work had the same comment going from a fully optioned 2011 to a fully optioned 2013 Grand Caravan. He said the transmission was much more composed and has better brakes.
    2000 Chrysler Cirrus 2.4
    2001 Caravan SE 3.3.........SOLD 5/4/14, 131,750 trouble free miles
    2014 G Caravan AVP 3.6
    2012 Ram Van 3.6
    (company vehicle)

+ Reply to Thread