2011 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Transmission Problems



ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 168

Thread: 2011 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Transmission Problems

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    39
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts


    2011 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Transmission Problems

    Is anyone else experiencing transmission problems while in economy mode shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Transmission clunks into 2nd gear. Brought to dealer once and they replaced valve body. Just recently brought back to the dealer on Tuesday and they are tearing the transmission apart again. 2nd day with loaner car.
    2011 Chrysler Town & Country Limited, Trailer tow pkg, Blackberry pearl
    2002 Chrysler Town & Country Limited, 135K

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    226
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts


    It's my understanding that the economy mode instructs the trans to shift from 1st to 3rd gear. I quit using the econo mode in my 2011 because I didn't like the driveability sacrifice resulting from econo mode in stop and go traffic.

    Strange that the dealer is tearing into the transmission for that.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,438
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    3,439
    Thanked 502 Times in 412 Posts


    Turn the eco mode off. If its fine, try and get the reflash that supposedly fixes it.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,147
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 385 Times in 310 Posts


    It seems like you have a really aggressive service department.
    The last recall flash on ours seems to have fixed the "Econ issue". We have actually been leaving it in Econ much of the time since the recall flash was performed.
    I hope they aren't doing a bunch of "repairs" for nothing.
    Grant
    Mopars currently owned:
    1975 Dodge D-100 4x4 400

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,438
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    3,439
    Thanked 502 Times in 412 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by gsmagnum View Post
    It seems like you have a really aggressive service department.
    The last recall flash on ours seems to have fixed the "Econ issue". We have actually been leaving it in Econ much of the time since the recall flash was performed.
    I hope they aren't doing a bunch of "repairs" for nothing.
    Good to hear.

    I'll ask about it when ours goes in for the next oil change

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Hi guys, I'm having exact the same symptoms when on ECON mode on my 2012 TC. Brought it to the dealership and mentioned about a reflash and info I've gathered from forums like this one. What I'm getting though is the reverse of what has been discussed here.

    According to them, if I feel the tug/clunk in non-econ mode, then there is no problem and no need for a re-flash. Snce it's happening only on econ mode, it's "normal" just need to drive slowly. i'm really getting frustrated here Seems like I have to "drive like my grand mother" to avoid the clunking (sorry no dis-respect to seniors, just using a phrase I heard so many times).

    UN4GTBL, kindly post your experience, whether yours got a re-flash or not. If you did, how is the drive when on ECON mode.

    Thanks!

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Sorry, was it jaag82899 who was going to try to get a re-flash on the next oil change? Anyways, please do post an update afterwards.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,147
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 385 Times in 310 Posts


    They told me there were no transmission flashes for mine when it was in. It did have the recall flash done. It has shifted without the 1-3 clunk since then though.
    If you have a heavy foot, Econ mode is pretty worthless. Having it off will improve your shifting.
    I like having it on to keep the converter locked up and in top gear at slower speeds.
    Grant
    Mopars currently owned:
    1975 Dodge D-100 4x4 400

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,438
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    3,439
    Thanked 502 Times in 412 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by rtracing View Post
    Hi guys, I'm having exact the same symptoms when on ECON mode on my 2012 TC. Brought it to the dealership and mentioned about a reflash and info I've gathered from forums like this one. What I'm getting though is the reverse of what has been discussed here.

    According to them, if I feel the tug/clunk in non-econ mode, then there is no problem and no need for a re-flash. Snce it's happening only on econ mode, it's "normal" just need to drive slowly. i'm really getting frustrated here Seems like I have to "drive like my grand mother" to avoid the clunking (sorry no dis-respect to seniors, just using a phrase I heard so many times).

    UN4GTBL, kindly post your experience, whether yours got a re-flash or not. If you did, how is the drive when on ECON mode.

    Thanks!
    In non-econ mode it should be smooth...

    But yeah, you can't keep it in econ mode and drive around like a mad man, its not meant for that.

    I'm going to see if there is a re-flash for ours on the next oil change.

    Quote Originally Posted by gsmagnum View Post
    They told me there were no transmission flashes for mine when it was in. It did have the recall flash done. It has shifted without the 1-3 clunk since then though.
    If you have a heavy foot, Econ mode is pretty worthless. Having it off will improve your shifting.
    I like having it on to keep the converter locked up and in top gear at slower speeds.
    Exactly.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    514
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 120 Times in 92 Posts


    As mentioned Econ mode will be clunky, mainly due to the 1 to 3 skip-shift. It has to cut power to the engine for a longer time while the transmission shifts. Also, the torque converter locks up much more quickly, making feel like it's shifting rough.

    The shifting problems that I had were cured with the recall flash --- mainly slamming into drive gear after backing up, so much so that you could see the front tires lurch ahead when shifting from reverse to drive. (yes, I come to a complete stop before shifting) --- the recall flash fixed that, so I'm assuming there was an updated computer program for the transmission as well.

    My favorite use for Econ mode is driving on the highway - it stops it from "hunting" for gears or downshifting on every little hill. I lose a few mph, but to me that's better than the shifting.
    '11 Grand Caravan Crew 3.6 46k
    '11 Chevy Malibu 1LT 2.4 47k
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/smgussey/
    2011+ tow package info: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/23413

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts