Best rotors and pads?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best rotors and pads?

Thanks

Best rotors and pads?

I installed a set of rotors and ceramic pads two years ago. The rotors are warped badly. I want the best set possible to replace this time around. Any suggestions?
    2005 Chrysler Town and Country Touring 3.8L
    My DIY Contributions:
    Lower Radiator Tube Replacement
    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=14636

Leaking Steering Rack - Added lucas oil in winter of 2010-11 no leaks since then, but replaced PS Reservoir (9/2012 no leaks)
    EGR Valve - FIXED 5/27/11
    Front Brake Pad/ Rotors replaced 93k
    Rear Rotors: 95k
    Last Oil Change:90k
    spark plugs: 95k

Needs Fixing-
    Windshield, rear brakes, tranny flush, , oil pan is rusted bad!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markho View Post
    I installed a set of rotors and ceramic pads two years ago. The rotors are warped badly. I want the best set possible to replace this time around. Any suggestions?
    I've had good luck with BENDIX CQ Ceramic brake pads. As far as rotors go, I think most are Chinese made these days... I wonder where the OE Mopar ones are made?

Thanks

I've never experimented with "brand name" rotors because I've never had to - the "white box' rotors have been fine for me. I will note that I'm not an extreme driver. In my own experience, I used to deal with warped rotors (on other vehicles) until I started hand-torquing lug nuts to spec every time I re-installed a wheel. Once I started that practice, my rotors stopped warping.

I've used Duralast "Gold" line semimetallic pads. They do leave some gray dust (as opposed to what ceramic pads would do), but each set I've installed on the front has lasted at least 40,000 miles and the rears seem to last about double that.

Again, a fair bit of all of that might have to do with my generally non-agressive (though not granny-style) driving. Others mileage will vary and you'll get a thousand opinions.

Nate
    '05 Town & Country Touring
    3.8L 167,000 mi

Thanks

I run into a problem where i think my caliper is hanging up. When i did my pads last year on the drivers side only1 side was worn and it was crooked.
    2005 Dodge Caravan SXT 95000miles (Sold) You were a great van Violet.

2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 69000miles

1988 Subaru DL 213000miles

1999 Chevy Tahoe LT 181000miles

Did you ever feel like the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes.

Thanks

Thx for the replies. I think i ordered my rotors and pads through autozone. The pads are ceramic. Within a few months the disc warped and the pads etched a lip on the rim of the disc. Im going with semi metallic next time. I have them on my bmw and they feel great. I will. Ertainly keep the torque recommendation in mind though. Still looking for sugggestions though. I found a pair of brembos for 66$ i might bite on it.
    2005 Chrysler Town and Country Touring 3.8L
    My DIY Contributions:
    Lower Radiator Tube Replacement
    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=14636

Leaking Steering Rack - Added lucas oil in winter of 2010-11 no leaks since then, but replaced PS Reservoir (9/2012 no leaks)
    EGR Valve - FIXED 5/27/11
    Front Brake Pad/ Rotors replaced 93k
    Rear Rotors: 95k
    Last Oil Change:90k
    spark plugs: 95k

Needs Fixing-
    Windshield, rear brakes, tranny flush, , oil pan is rusted bad!

Thanks

It's been six months since I did a complete front brake job. New pads, rotors, and calipers. I installed the Basic Autozone pads, rotors and rebuilt calipers. My 18 year old son was also driving it every day for five of the six months. I also live in Chicago so it's mostly stop and go. They are still operating with smooth stops and no issues.
    Peter
    2001 Town and Country LXI (125,000mi.)
    Replaced: brakes,rotors,calipers,serpentine belt,spark plugs,wires,alternator,battery,tie rods,struts,sway bar links,sway bar bushings (5 times),passenger door window motor,ATC module, transmission service, transmission solenoid pack, key cylinder, power steering fluid reservoir, PCM module, oil pan/valve cover gaskets, #2 fuel injector, Fuel filler tube and countless oil changes. DIY'er

Thanks

Red face here is another viewpoint ....

I am also not a "extreme" driver , so i special order my pads , as most places don't carry the "non metallic" type pads .
    the reason ?? ... I can replace the pads 3 or 4 times for a lot less money than replacing the rotors every other time.
    AND since the pads are very easy to change, it takes very little time.
    the cheaper pads wear fast .....but the rotors don't with the non ceramic / non metallic pads. so the rotors will go MUCH farther.
    I think almost everyone could drive less extreme, and save money at the same time.
    don't misunderstand me .. I go the speedlimit , but I try not to tailgate or slide to a stop at lights.
    I worked with a guy years ago .. he bought a big heavy station wagon new ,he was a very conservative driver.
    100,000 miles later it still had the original pads and rotors and did not need them replaced !
    just some thoughts that i believe are worth while. dddon
    2000 chrysler GV ...60k .. 3.3 flex
    1993 dodge caravan .. 160k ..3.0
    1993 plymouth GV ..102k ..3.3
    1987 dodge daytona ... 65k .. 4cyl
    1966 austin london taxi ..4 cyl ..stick ..
    "maybe it broke cause it was not built right" ...(my thought after the 35W bridge fell) dddon:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,161 Times in 952 Posts

I can't remember when I last had a warped rotor. It was decades ago.
    I have had rust buildup on rotors that had to be chipped off. That caused some shake until removed.
    I have had calipers seize and heat the rotors up pretty bad. Still no warped rotors.
    Most of my rotors have been while box, made in China likely. Nothing special there. My pads have all been semi-metallic, no ceramics.
    I'm with nate95366 above.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 115,600 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 314,240 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 246,430 kms

Thanks

I use white box rotors and prime choice ceramic pads. The brake feel is good stoping power great and the ceramic pad are just abrasive enough to keep the rust from taking over the rotors. I am tempted to try the drilled and zinc plated rotors that I see on Ebay. I have had problems with oganic pads melting metalic pads dusting and crumbling and other ceramic pads scoring the rotor or squeeking.
    Hank
    07 Dodge Caravan SXT 3.3L Gold 105,000 kms
    05 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3L Silver 165,000 kms

Thanks

If I put new rotors I'll get cross drilled and slotted rotors. Maybe ceramic brake pads. But I don't need a brake job yet. Will research on what parts to get though. My minivan is decked out for towing 3800 lbs so I need really good brake action.

My Honda HX - I put EBC pads on them and cross drilled slotted front rotors back around Feb 2008... brake job is still going strong - 27K miles later.

+ Reply to Thread