The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

How to replace blower resistor: 2001 T+C

65K views 50 replies 41 participants last post by  kb24 
#1 · (Edited)
In my 2001 Town and Country without automatic temperature control, my heater/AC blower suddenly worked only when set on high. Usually, that problem is your blower resistor pack.

I had to search for the one in my van since the parts man wasn’t sure where it was except that he thought it was in the dash somewhere. (In some other vans it was under the hood.) My Haynes manual didn’t have anything on it except a picture showing it with the blower. I found it directly behind the glove compartment. Very easy to get to once you know where it is.

The glove box can be lowered all the way out of the way just by pulling in the sides so the rubber stoppers come out toward you. The sides bend easily to allow that.

The glove box being out reveals the resistor in the heating duct right in front of you. Just remove the two sets of wires and two bolts (10mm socket, I think) and the resistor pack slides right out. Then bolt in the new one an plug the wires back in (they only fit in one way). Fold the glove box back up and press the stops in to get them back in place and you are done.

The resistor pack only cost $12 and change at my dealer. It is part number 1-04885583AB which was a replacement for the same number with AA at the end, so I’m guessing they had a lot of trouble with the AAs and so made a better AB.

Last Winter my heater blower fan worked only on High. I changed the front heater/AC blower resistor pack and was surprised at how easy it is, but I had to figure it out for myself since my Dealer's parts guy was no help as to where the part lived and my Haynes manual was just plain wrong. This was on a 2001 T+C. I'd be very surprised if the 2001 Caravan was any different. Don't know what other year vans would be the same. I do know some earlier generations had this resistor under the hood and Haynes had is with the blower sort of behind the instrument cluster.

I have pictures to go with this text, but the Word doc I made was too big to upload here. Contact me if you want it. I Hope this helps someone else. Good luck with your van, Andy.

See less See more
#4 ·
Ah yes another quality engineering job if thats causing blower resistor failures . Another thing do we actually need cabin filtration unless you have severe allergies ? This should be a speciall order item . Lets see we made do for like 80 years without them , just another maintenance item that a lot of people will never have done and it will just sit in their all clogged up and the filter makers can screw you over because the filters are like $20 but they are no bigger than a engine air filter which costs $5 .

#8 ·
<sigh> I had to replace the blower resistor in my daughter's 2003 Sebring. I was expecting parts less than $20 like everyone says. $43 for the resistor and I had to modify the blower box as the new part was not flat enough to fit the original slot. That car is expensive to maintain and the insurance is higher than on the wife's new CR-V.

#9 · (Edited)
Hey Hey-It worked. Part #4885583-AB Resistor (8035022) Cost Pre Tax $18.26 in Plant City, FL.
I now have all my speeds back on my Air Conditioner Blower.
All you have to do is lower the glove box,there are little wheels on each side that have to be squeezed inward, then the whole box drops down, and Wahoo!
You'll see the wires all coming together at the AB Resistor.
Just disconnect the harness and loosen two screws.
This was a 2002 Chrysler Voyager MiniVan.
2nd Time this year your site has saved me from the repair shop.
Thankyou!! :biggrin:

#12 ·
Piece-o-cake!

Took mine out in 5 minutes (all you need is the correct nut driver) and drove to the dealer a few miles from my house. Had a print out of the part number from an above post, gave him $17 plus change and installed it in their parking lot in about 3 minutes. Plugged in the two plugs and tested it AOK!
I did notice that it's a newer type made in Slovenia.:lol:
thanks for the help

#13 ·
Hi, New here. Great info by the way. My 01 Caravan the a/c was stuck on hi after reading the post here went to the local dodge bought a new resistor $20.87 w/tax installed at the parking lot and works now at every speed. I was concern about the way the replacement looked but the guy triple check the new p/n the gave me is 68029175AA (made in Slovenia) look different from the oem but its working like a champ. Great, GREAT Foum Thanks

#14 ·
I just did this fix yesterday. The part from Chrysler was $17.

The parts man (Big Bob!) noted that there was a service bulletin on the part: Since it is a beefier resistor, some people are having trouble... the harnesses snapped in but the resistor wouldn't fit back in its hole. The bulletin says the fix is to simply file the hole to let the part fit.

#16 ·
Thanks to the great posts, swapped mine out $19 and it works fine, I got a different part number, it looks very different than the original, and stamped into the plastic are the words "DO NOT REPAIR". For those doing the radio shack fix, I would reccomend spending the $19 you may save $15 but between the time and the fire risk, not worth it. Besides, you have to give the guy at radio shack your lifes history to buy a battery, so just get the new NEW part. 2001 Voyager.

#18 ·
lyehudgins: Mine's 2002 but most recent models seem to be located behind the glove box. Open the glove box, squeeze the side panels inward at the rear until tabs/rollers are disengaged, then lower the door to the floor. You should see the resistor block bolted to the back wall with two plugs connected to it. More details are earlier in this thread.

#19 ·
I just received my replacement part from an online order and was surprised to find that the plug configuration does not match. (2-prong is fine, 4-prong replaced by 3 pairs.) My new part is 68029175AA and it does look very different, especially having no heat sink. However, it seems to fit just fine, except that I can't plug into it!

Any suggestions here? :help_wsig

(2002 GC w/3.8L, btw)

#20 ·
Ah. This resistor is for vehicles w/o Automatic Temp. Control. Which, of course, my vehicle is with. Unfortunately that wasn't a question asked during my order.

The correct part number for ATC is 4885482AC: $57.01 at moparusa.net.

Fully Equipped - it's a beautiful thing! :rolleyes:

#21 ·
On my 3rd resistor in 18 months. The new NAPA part (lost faith in the OEM part) is completely different looking. The old part has several wires coiled around like heating elements in a toaster. It looked crude compared to the new part. New part has no coils. Just electronics. Hopefully it doesn't need to disperse heat like the previous generation part and last longer than a year.

#23 ·
I agree with the cabin air filter BULL...I havent trashed the one on my 08 yet but when it comes time to replace it I'll prob. pull it out and "forget" to put one back in !!!!

#24 ·
HVAC Blower Module High Speed Only

Great site! I've been lurking for about the past year but had not bothered to register.

Yesterday, my blower went to high speed only on my 2002 T&C with Climate control HVAC at 77K miles. Thanks to this posting I was able to easily repair it.

Fort Worth dealer price for the blower module: $49.12
O'Reilly Auto Parts (P/N 3038) for the cabin filter: $19.99

Thanks again,

Jim
Fort Worth

#26 · (Edited)
blower resistor

Chrysler has changed the part number. The parts guy at the dealer say it has been changed twice. The new part is made in slovenia and it looks like an electronic component. The older one looked like a cheese grater with little heater coils in it. The new one does not. Put it in in less than 5 minutes. The new part number is 68029175AA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.