How to replace blower resistor: 2001 T+C

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to replace blower resistor: 2001 T+C

Thanks

How to replace blower resistor: 2001 T+C

In my 2001 Town and Country without automatic temperature control, my heater/AC blower suddenly worked only when set on high. Usually, that problem is your blower resistor pack.

I had to search for the one in my van since the parts man wasnít sure where it was except that he thought it was in the dash somewhere. (In some other vans it was under the hood.) My Haynes manual didnít have anything on it except a picture showing it with the blower. I found it directly behind the glove compartment. Very easy to get to once you know where it is.

The glove box can be lowered all the way out of the way just by pulling in the sides so the rubber stoppers come out toward you. The sides bend easily to allow that.

The glove box being out reveals the resistor in the heating duct right in front of you. Just remove the two sets of wires and two bolts (10mm socket, I think) and the resistor pack slides right out. Then bolt in the new one an plug the wires back in (they only fit in one way). Fold the glove box back up and press the stops in to get them back in place and you are done.

The resistor pack only cost $12 and change at my dealer. It is part number 1-04885583AB which was a replacement for the same number with AA at the end, so Iím guessing they had a lot of trouble with the AAs and so made a better AB.

Last Winter my heater blower fan worked only on High. I changed the front heater/AC blower resistor pack and was surprised at how easy it is, but I had to figure it out for myself since my Dealer's parts guy was no help as to where the part lived and my Haynes manual was just plain wrong. This was on a 2001 T+C. I'd be very surprised if the 2001 Caravan was any different. Don't know what other year vans would be the same. I do know some earlier generations had this resistor under the hood and Haynes had is with the blower sort of behind the instrument cluster.

I have pictures to go with this text, but the Word doc I made was too big to upload here. Contact me if you want it. I Hope this helps someone else. Good luck with your van, Andy.
    Last edited by interstition; 06-25-2005 at 12:32 PM. Reason: original attachment too big
    Andy
    2001 T+C LX - 95K miles, 5th Chrysler minivan since 1987.
    Two Volvo 740s - combined over 450K miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Great posting Andy. Thanks for the writeup.
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD 3.5L

Thanks

ive had to replace mine twice. I am told its because the cabin filter (next to the blower, under glove box) causes the resistor to overheat when it becomes clogged with dirt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krut77 View Post
    ive had to replace mine twice. I am told its because the cabin filter (next to the blower, under glove box) causes the resistor to overheat when it becomes clogged with dirt
    Ah yes another quality engineering job if thats causing blower resistor failures . Another thing do we actually need cabin filtration unless you have severe allergies ? This should be a speciall order item . Lets see we made do for like 80 years without them , just another maintenance item that a lot of people will never have done and it will just sit in their all clogged up and the filter makers can screw you over because the filters are like $20 but they are no bigger than a engine air filter which costs $5 .
    2014 Dodge Grand Caravan AVP
    Deep Cherry Red
    1000 miles
    2008 Isuzu Ascender
    Midnight Blue Metallic
    70000 miles

Thanks

Please forward the pictures

Andy, if it isn't too much trouble at this point, could you please forward to me the pictures that you took. Thanks.

Dean
    dmeierd2@nycap.rr.com

Thanks

Ah yes another quality engineering job if thats causing blower resistor failures
    Which I doubt caused the problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vipergg View Post
    Ah yes another quality engineering job if thats causing blower resistor failures . Another thing do we actually need cabin filtration unless you have severe allergies ? Lets see we made do for like 80 years without them , just another maintenance item that a lot of people will never have done and it will just sit in their all clogged up and the filter makers can screw you over because the filters are like $20 but they are no bigger than a engine air filter which costs $5 .
    Just take YOURS out and trash it.
    I wish mine had one to replace.
    2005 T&C Limited-105K, 99 Volvo S70-220K, 01 Accord EX-153K, 94 Volvo 940-316K, 99 Avalon 156K

Thanks

<sigh> I had to replace the blower resistor in my daughter's 2003 Sebring. I was expecting parts less than $20 like everyone says. $43 for the resistor and I had to modify the blower box as the new part was not flat enough to fit the original slot. That car is expensive to maintain and the insurance is higher than on the wife's new CR-V.
    2001 Chrysler T&C LXi 127K

Thanks

Hey Hey-It worked. Part #4885583-AB Resistor (8035022) Cost Pre Tax $18.26 in Plant City, FL.
    I now have all my speeds back on my Air Conditioner Blower.
    All you have to do is lower the glove box,there are little wheels on each side that have to be squeezed inward, then the whole box drops down, and Wahoo!
    You'll see the wires all coming together at the AB Resistor.
    Just disconnect the harness and loosen two screws.
    This was a 2002 Chrysler Voyager MiniVan.
    2nd Time this year your site has saved me from the repair shop.
    Thankyou!!
    Last edited by mcourtney97; 12-06-2007 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Misspell

Thanks

Glad that you are back up to specs. Thanks for posting YOUR fix also.

+ Reply to Thread