Oil Pan & Gasket - Leak!!!

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Pan & Gasket - Leak!!!

Thanks

Oil Pan & Gasket - Leak!!!

OK, I plead the 5th on this project, but I don't get it. I have now attempted 3 times to replace the orginal oil pan gasket on my 2003 GCV 3.3 Motor only to have continuous oil leaks. I have read to use and not to use Black RTV in Manuals, Web and Gasket instructions and cannot get the thing to NOT Leak. What am I missing? This most recent attempt I replaced the stock Oil Pan, New Gasket and only used Black RTV at both ends of oil pan. I placed a small bead of silicone at each end from corner to corner and maybe 1-2" around the corners of the pan and it is now leaking at the ends. The gasket instructions said NOT to use any RTV Silicone, but the Haynes manual and web say otherwise. I don't want to pay dodge $150+ but maybe that is the best step? Can anyone offer words of wisdom here? I may pull the pan back down - buy a new gasket and try it again using the oil over since I just did this project this weekend. Thank YOU in advance.

Paul
    2003 Grand Caravan
    3.3 Motor
    Paul
    2012 T&C Tour 36K.
    98 Chevy Silverado 156K Gotta love it till you gotta feed it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,161 Times in 952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shacup View Post
    OK, I plead the 5th on this project, but I don't get it. I have now attempted 3 times to replace the orginal oil pan gasket on my 2003 GCV 3.3 Motor only to have continuous oil leaks. I have read to use and not to use Black RTV in Manuals, Web and Gasket instructions and cannot get the thing to NOT Leak. What am I missing? This most recent attempt I replaced the stock Oil Pan, New Gasket and only used Black RTV at both ends of oil pan. I placed a small bead of silicone at each end from corner to corner and maybe 1-2" around the corners of the pan and it is now leaking at the ends. The gasket instructions said NOT to use any RTV Silicone, but the Haynes manual and web say otherwise. I don't want to pay dodge $150+ but maybe that is the best step? Can anyone offer words of wisdom here? I may pull the pan back down - buy a new gasket and try it again using the oil over since I just did this project this weekend. Thank YOU in advance.

Paul
    2003 Grand Caravan
    3.3 Motor
    Could the leak be from the front oil seal (crank)?

Are you parking your vehicle on an angle that would put the oil against the seal or gasket?
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 115,600 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 314,240 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 246,430 kms

Thanks

I think I can see hints of dye in that area as well but just cannot see that well into the area. The oil pan gasket however is without a doubt showing up at the tranny end and the timing chain end. I don't mind having to redo it, and NOT use any RTV at all before I take it do Doge, but this is getting rediculous. The last attempt a couple of weekends ago - the ENDS were both clean and it leaked at the Front edge and the passenger rear edge. I even followed the sequence when tightening down the bolts at 105 in-lbs.
    Paul
    2012 T&C Tour 36K.

Thanks

Parking at a slant? No, most if not all places I park are flat. I let it set about 16 hours to allow the RTV to setup - which really is not that much - then drove it about 30 40 miles, put in a new bottle of dye and drove another 5-7 miles and checked for leaks while on the ramps. Both the FRONT AND REAR edges are clean and show no signs of the green dye.
    Paul
    2012 T&C Tour 36K.

Thanks

Definitely the pits to have to repeat a job multiple times. Looking to do this job in the Spring, so I'm obviously interested in what you're going through. IMHO, if the gasket maker says no gunk, then that's what I would go with. But, doing the job multiple times, did you already try once with no RTV? I recently dropped the tranny pan and replaced the original RTV seal with a rubber gasket, and didn't use anything on that gasket - no leaks from that pan, but of course it's not exactly the same thing. The only other thing that comes to mind is the calibration of your torque wrench - could it be as much as 15-20% off? Please post how this works out for you, and good luck with it!
    03 Caravan 158K miles
    05 GC 129K miles (daughter's)

Thanks

Those 4 areas where they call for RTV (Haynes manual), may have some RTV missing in the vertical joints (bottom).
    Did the instructions for the gasket say to not use any RTV there (4 spots) or for the gasket in general?
    I would tighten up before the RTV (4 small spots) set up though. I think RTV that has set up could cause a gap.
    Last edited by Jeepman; 01-08-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks

Deleted duplicate post
    03 Caravan 158K miles
    05 GC 129K miles (daughter's)

Thanks

Oil Pan & Gasket

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
    Those 4 areas where they call for RTV (Haynes manual), may have some RTV missing in the vertical joints (bottom).
    Did the instructions for the gasket say to not use any RTV there (4 spots) or for the gasket in general?
    I would tighten up before the RTV (4 small spots) set up though. I think RTV that has set up could cause a gap.
    Thank you again for the replies. The new gasket instructions said NO RTV or Chemical Adhesives as they could cause leaks. The Haynes manual claims 1/8" bead at the timing chaning cover and the tranny end. I am placing the bead on the oil pan lip, then laying gasket down. I would add that maybe I waited to long to attempt to put the pan back in place and its a pain to get that pan back in place with a free floating gasket.

Anyhow, I think I will pull the pan back down - clean with the surfaces of both block and pan with "Brake Parts Cleaner' is what I used sprayed on a towel. I will then buy yet another gasket and just try this without any RTV.

If I remember correctly the only places I had to remove RTV from the first time of removing the pan - was at the 4 courners and I think it may have just been there for the assembly of the pan ( holding the gasket ) at the factory.

Will try again and see what happens.
    Paul
    2012 T&C Tour 36K.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shacup View Post
    The Haynes manual claims 1/8" bead at the timing chaning cover and the tranny end.
    The vertical joint at those ends (timing chain cover for example) can be irregular, you can feel it with your finger, hence the use of RTV to bridge that roughness (a line's width basically), I guess. I think that was where mine(2002) was leaking before I replaced it last Fall. That was the original pan and gasket. There was RTV at those 4 spots.

I used no RTV on my installation, used a Mopar gasket which seemed quite thick/compressible. I am suspecting a cold temperature leak there now but no leaks evident on a sheet of particle board when I checked it twice recently. A drop does form on the bottom of the oil pan sometimes.
    Could be the 4 litres of 5W-30 and 1 liter of 0W-30 (Castrol German synthetic), used for the last oil change, are a little more fluid as well. I typically use 10W-30 oil. I might actually have a very small front oil seal leak instead.

As for colder weather, leaks can happen then that don't happen in warmer weather.
    Last edited by Jeepman; 01-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Thanks

Where you getting your gaskets. Need to do this soon
    Vehicle - 01 T&C 3.3L about 80,000 miles

+ Reply to Thread