Voice Route Guidance Problem with 730N (RHR) Nav Radio. Anyone else?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Voice Route Guidance Problem with 730N (RHR) Nav Radio. Anyone else?

Thanks

Voice Route Guidance Problem with 730N (RHR) Nav Radio. Anyone else?

Got my van back from the dealer tonight, and it appears they correctly re-calibrated my Smartbeam system, so I have faith in the techs at my dealership. Tomorrow I'm going to be calling them with another small issue, but first, I wanted to check with you guys to see if anyone else has experienced this...

Under Navigation, if I type in a new destination, and hit "Go", the unit plots the route as expected, and even shows the directions up on the EVIC screen, however, no voice guidance. I checked the manual, and found where the route guidance voice volume can be adjusted so I went to the Navigation Main Menu, hit the Nav Settings Key, and selected "Guidance Prompts". Both "Play Audible Guidance Prompts" and "Show Turn Arrows in Radio/Media" were checked, and I maxed the volume bar on the bottom, but when I hit the "Sample Volume" to test it, nothing. The radio doesn't even mute.

I also noticed that if during navigation, I hit the "Rpt )))" button in the upper right hand corner to repeat the last voice direction, nothing. No "Follow the arrow" or "Turn right ahead", nothing. It seems the voice part of the guidance isn't working at all.

Anyone else experienced issues like this? I read in the Challenger forums of someone else having the exact same issue, and his radio was found to be defective.

I'm staying optimistic that the techs at my dealership will be able to figure it out and make it right (replacing the head unit if necessary I guess). I'll update with the outcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Oh boy! I keep hoping that your issues will be over. Weird that it doesn't do that for sure.

Thanks

Our unit keeps deleting the "home" address... and the other day while driving, a blue section appeared on the screen and moved down the screen like we were driving into a blue fog, lol.. hit the zoom in/out buttons and it cleared.. but still..

Wish I had the Garmin interface, seems like the times to distance are more accurate on our Garmin and the biggest missing item is the current speed and speed limit..

Van headed to dealer today to address this, the factory trailier wiring not working and a right rear loose tailight.. and a few other minor issues.

JK

Thanks

Just an update on this... I dropped the van off at my dealer today during lunch, and they performed a software update to the radio, however, it did not fix the problem. They fooled around with things and determined the radio head unit is defective, and ordered me another one (730N RHR). They said its a quick swap, so when it comes in they will let me know, and need the van again for maybe an hour. I dont seem to be having very good luck with the electronics in this thing, but I'm still very happy with the van (mechanically its been awesome), and I am also extremely happy with the service department at my dealership (West Herr Chrysler Jeep, Buffalo, NY). I am on a first-name basis with the service managers at this point, which I guess is both good and bad. lol. I do have faith that they will ultimately get this thing all corrected, and will put forth their every effort until it is.

I am really glad I stuck to my guns and got the lifetime maxcare for free during the PCM replacement saga.... without it I would be seriously concerned at this point (lemon?). I'll post any further updates on this here...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CDecker View Post
    Just an update on this... I dropped the van off at my dealer today during lunch, and they performed a software update to the radio, however, it did not fix the problem. They fooled around with things and determined the radio head unit is defective, and ordered me another one (730N RHR). They said its a quick swap, so when it comes in they will let me know, and need the van again for maybe an hour. I dont seem to be having very good luck with the electronics in this thing, but I'm still very happy with the van (mechanically its been awesome), and I am also extremely happy with the service department at my dealership (West Herr Chrysler Jeep, Buffalo, NY). I am on a first-name basis with the service managers at this point, which I guess is both good and bad. lol. I do have faith that they will ultimately get this thing all corrected, and will put forth their every effort until it is.

I am really glad I stuck to my guns and got the lifetime maxcare for free during the PCM replacement saga.... without it I would be seriously concerned at this point (lemon?). I'll post any further updates on this here...
    Yeah the headunit is a 5 minute swap.

Disconnect battery.
    Pull off radio surround (4 clips)
    Remove the 4 screws securing the radio
    Unplug and remove radio

Plug in new radio
    Re-install screws
    Re-install bezel
    Re-connect battery.

^ Should be that simple.

Thanks

Problem Resolved.....

New 730N RHR arrived the next day (Friday). Dropped the van off for a couple hours, and they had it swapped out. Everything works like its supposed to now, voice prompts, satellite radio, backseat TV, presets etc... A third successful repair for my dealership, they're 3-0 now....

2011 Chrysler Town & Country Limited w/ 730N (RHR) - Silver / Black
    Front Tint 20%, Huskyliner Mats - All 3 Rows, Lighting Upgrades

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CDecker For This Useful Post:

UN4GTBL (01-08-2012)

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Our unit keeps deleting the "home" address... and the other day while driving, a blue section appeared on the screen and moved down the screen like we were driving into a blue fog, lol.. hit the zoom in/out buttons and it cleared.. but still..

Wish I had the Garmin interface, seems like the times to distance are more accurate on our Garmin and the biggest missing item is the current speed and speed limit..

Van headed to dealer today to address this, the factory trailier wiring not working and a right rear loose tailight.. and a few other minor issues.

JK
    Have you found any resolution to this issue? My T&D (2011) also repeatedly deletes my home address as well as any other address I save to the address book. It does not delete addresses in the "recent" list. We have brought this up with the dealer at every single oil change and everytime they give us a dazed look and tell us no one else has this issue. In December they told us it was because my cell phone was not ideal for connecting to the bluetooth and that it was re-downloading the address book. The dealership suggested we get an iPhone. Turns out I got one for Christmas. Did not correct the issues with the van.

At this point I am so frustrated with this. The GPS system in this is not particularly user friendly and the voice recoginition to find somethign while driving is very cumbersome.

I am happy with the vehicle aside from the GPS/Radio/Stuff (Or at least I was until I found out today that after only 6 months a cylinder stopped firing - not promising)

Anyways - Have you found a fix to the Home Address thing?

Thanks
    Mejihana

Thanks

No yet. Ours was in for a list of items: Right rear tailight was loose, the hatch would catch it., Trailer wiring didn't work, was a bad ground. Weird squeak from driver's seat or door panel.. not sure if they looked at yet..

We need to take it back for the radio, the squeak and the Driver's Window has a 3 inch scratch on it, so the window needs replacing and that's on order.

I wish the GPS was the Garmin, easier to use and I like the speed limit and current speed showing plus the querty keyboad on the Garmin.

+ Reply to Thread